crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/1/13 6:27 p.m.

I have my father's flag that was on his casket from when he died 20 years ago (Vietnam vet) still in the plastic case the Army gave to me. I wanted to put it in the living room with his medals I have but all the nicer wooden cases I can find are all made in China. I know this sounds really dumb and nationalistic to some people but I really don't want to put a flag he earned fighting a war against communists in a box made....well you see where I'm going with this.

There HAS to be an American company that makes these things somewhere. Anybody have leads?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/13 6:28 p.m.

I usually see nice wooden flag cases at the military surplus store here in town. I never looked for a made in China sticker on them, but it would really surprise me if they were.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/13 6:37 p.m.

Spartacraft is the original US manufacturer and where the military buys wood cases.

I've heard good things about American Made.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/1/13 6:52 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Spartacraft is the original US manufacturer and where the military buys wood cases. I've heard good things about American Made.

Awesome, thanks for links. Apparently other people thought that USA made was a better choice for these sorts of things too.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/1/13 7:07 p.m.

I see them at Michaels Arts and Crafts.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/1/13 7:15 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I see them at Michaels Arts and Crafts.

Made in China however

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
7/1/13 7:16 p.m.

I'd use it as an excuse to buy a couple of basic woodworking tools, and build the case yourself. I'd think a router, a miter saw and a book would do the job. That one would not only be American made, but it would be a honor to build.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/1/13 7:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I'd use it as an excuse to buy a couple of basic woodworking tools, and build the case yourself. I'd think a router, a miter saw and a book would do the job. That one would not only be American made, but it would be a honor to build.

I definitely thought about it, and I just may do it.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/1/13 8:09 p.m.

Drive to Blue Ridge GA, find High Country Picture Framing and have the fine American behind the counter build you a display box.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/1/13 8:14 p.m.

Here is some information on them: http://highcountrypictureframing.com/Home_Page.html

They do fantastic work, and are on this forum.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/13 8:15 p.m.

Have one made by a local veteran woodworker.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/1/13 8:35 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: Here is some information on them: http://highcountrypictureframing.com/Home_Page.html They do fantastic work, and are on this forum.

Neat, do you know their username or are they a sponsor?

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/1/13 8:43 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk: Poopshovel, thought he would post up. He must be out in the new Mazda.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/13 9:19 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: In reply to crankwalk: Poopshovel, thought he would post up. He must be out in the new Mazda.

He's probably listening to some Metallica.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/1/13 9:53 p.m.

Awwwww. Thanks Wayne. I will say that your best bang for buck is probably the guys Javelin linked to if you're willing to do the work yourself. It's tough for me to price anything out without laying my hands on it, but if you're looking for something in that $100 range, it probably ain't me. Those guys do 1 thing thousands of times. I do a thousand different things one at a time. That said, I'd love to help you, and would gladly extend the GRM family discount. If you want something 100% made in USA, I've got some really nice heart pine moulding that comes from a Mom & Pop place in Louisiana. Even though the online places may tout "Made in the USA," I'm GUESSING their moulding isn't manufactured here. I may be wrong. It's worth a phone call if you go that route. And I totally understand. No way I'd put my Grandfather's military stuff in some piece of "Jap Crap' (his words, not mine.) ;)

At any rate, if you decide to go the "Custom" route, I hope you'll come see me. If not, stay away from the big-box places and go to an independent shop. I re-frame stuff from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc., all the time. It's ALWAYS horrible quality. Like, I've recommended lawsuits to a few people, and they mark their E36 M3 up a billion times, and then give you a "SIXTY PERCENT OFF!" coupon. Deplorable.

PM me if you need any more info. I generally don't mention E36 M3 about what I do here, as I feel it's slimy, seeing as I'm not paying for advertising. But since you asked.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/2/13 11:40 a.m.

Well awesome. Thanks for the info everybody. I'm going to call around and get some prices.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/2/13 2:02 p.m.

If you're getting quotes, make sure they're using acid free matrials (foamcor/matboard.) Conservation glass wouldn't be a bad idea either. The price difference shouldn't be much for a piece of glass that small.

(Example: My price for 18 X 18 would be $8 for Premium Clear. $22 for Conservation.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J1vdaKWWlLFnJjRhKIjE2QbvQmAFjWjUi7BGhvn61VbTgW0SPtZAFByKCwtKDngT