April 14, 2014 10:40 p.m.

hello. this isn't so much a 'wanted' ad, more of a 'source requested' question. i need parts to finish my 91 miata repair. i got forced off a country road and quickly found a mailbox, a stop sign, and then a concrete culvert. the suspension has been repaired, and i found a door and all of the interior is now really nice, but i need body work.

im hoping GRM has a source for both fenders, both bumper covers, and the tail light/license tag panel. i need mirrors too, but im not sure i fi want custom ones or OEM. the parts dont have to be perfect, just useable/easily fixable. my fenders are gouged beyond repair, and the ABS bumper covers are split and too far mangled to try and straighten up. the rear panel is simply not there.

i have everything else fixed, the thing runs like a top, handles like a go-kart (duh, miata), and in general is badass. but i have taken everything crumpled off the car to deal with some very minor rust and make sure everything gets properly undercoated and sealed before i reassemble. which i cant do until i find some parts.

ebay has what i need (sort of), to the tune of about $1200 all said and done. i don't have that much in the car...craigslist was a bust, at least within 100 miles of me.

i need the help of the mighty GRM. moar miata body please?

thanks, i hope you can help.

-J0N

EvanR
EvanR Dork
April 14, 2014 11:03 p.m.

car-part.com

kylini Reader
April 14, 2014 11:07 p.m.

Pretty much your best source for part info is your local Spec Miata guys. Around here, that's Tom Kraft (Des Moines) and Blake @ BTDTRacing (Wisconsin). There's a ton of Miata-specific online salvagers down south too. A location would be helpful!

I'm going through the same fun with my '99. Rewiring my battery after a fire is gonna be... fun...

Good luck with yours!

April 14, 2014 11:59 p.m.

oh, yes, location would help, huh? 43064, just north of columbus, OHIO.

car-part looks promising.

EDIT-just looked at BTDTRacing. looks very promising. i emailed them with a wishlist. thanks.

-J0N

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
April 15, 2014 7:02 a.m.

Planet Miata is another source. Located in Pa.

EvanB PowerDork
April 15, 2014 7:10 a.m.

BTDT Racing is great, I have ordered from them before. I think there are some part-outs on craiglist currently, might want to check the auto parts section in columbus, dayton etc.

Keith Tanner MegaDork
April 15, 2014 7:54 a.m.

In my experience, the front fenders and bumper are the least likely to survive a crash - and Spec guys need them.

Look into the Mazda Motorsports contingency program. The price of body parts is really good. You might have to do a few autocrosses to meet their requirements, but it's not like that's a hardship.

April 15, 2014 6:23 p.m.

emailed planet miata as well, thanks.

craigs-lost netted me a door, headlight cover, interior stuff, and exhaust from a guy in akron. the rest either isn't there, or isn't local enough to matter.

i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info?

Keith, MazdaMotorsports is no real help to me, i dont race... :(

-J0N

kylini Reader
April 15, 2014 6:38 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info?

I don't think he ships. He owns Kraft 5-Star Muffler, which is basically a muffler shop stuffed to the gills with Spec Miatas. He doesn't have a website. He's DMVR's local treasure.

1400 Army Post Rd Des Moines, IA 50315 (515) 287-3007

Figure out who races in your SCCA division and you might find your local gold-hoarder.

DeadSkunk SuperDork
April 15, 2014 7:47 p.m.

Get on the Ohio Miata Owners Facebook page. There's more than one guy on there parting out cars. One of them is south side of Columbus IIRC.

April 15, 2014 7:50 p.m.
kylini wrote:
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info?

I don't think he ships. He owns Kraft 5-Star Muffler, which is basically a muffler shop stuffed to the gills with Spec Miatas. He doesn't have a website. He's DMVR's local treasure.

1400 Army Post Rd Des Moines, IA 50315 (515) 287-3007

Figure out who races in your SCCA division and you might find your local gold-hoarder.

i did find a muffler shop under that name, guess i was closer than i thought. thanks.

i don't have any contact with the SCCA or any other racing/enthusiast club. i just happen to own their favorite car.

Edit-requested to join ohio miata owners FB page. again, thanks all.

-J0N

DeadSkunk SuperDork
April 15, 2014 7:59 p.m.

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo: The guy in Columbus parting out Miatas is Darren Fimple @ Midwest Miata Parts LLC..

Keith Tanner MegaDork
April 15, 2014 8:27 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: emailed planet miata as well, thanks. craigs-lost netted me a door, headlight cover, interior stuff, and exhaust from a guy in akron. the rest either isn't there, or isn't local enough to matter. i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info? Keith, MazdaMotorsports is no real help to me, i dont race... :( -J0N

You don't race NOW. It would be an excuse to run a couple of autocrosses. Heck, they'd probably pay for themselves.

April 15, 2014 8:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: emailed planet miata as well, thanks. craigs-lost netted me a door, headlight cover, interior stuff, and exhaust from a guy in akron. the rest either isn't there, or isn't local enough to matter. i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info? Keith, MazdaMotorsports is no real help to me, i dont race... :( -J0N

You don't race NOW. It would be an excuse to run a couple of autocrosses. Heck, they'd probably pay for themselves.

yeah, i dont race cause i dont want to. i am simply completely un-interested. sorry...

i found Midwest miata as well, thank you so very much fellas! still looking though, any links or info is appreciated.

-J0N

nepa03focus Reader
April 15, 2014 8:43 p.m.
Don49 wrote: Planet Miata is another source. Located in Pa.

Unrelated, but I just wanted to say I drove by there last week!! It's 10 minutes from my house and I never even knew it, now I just need a miata to take advantage of this

April 15, 2014 8:45 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
Don49 wrote: Planet Miata is another source. Located in Pa.

Unrelated, but I just wanted to say I drove by there last week!! It's 10 minutes from my house and I never even knew it, now I just need a miata to take advantage of this

i will have a fairly nice, low option 91 5 speed for sale in about a month. or now if you want it missing the parts im looking for...

-J0N

dankspeed Reader
April 15, 2014 8:59 p.m.

Shot you a pm. I'm in Cincinnati and parting out two 94's.

April 15, 2014 10:04 p.m.

that email doesnt work. email me here:

jon

mol

ler

20

11

AT

GM

AIL

.

KOM

(trying to be spam proof...)

-J0N

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

23 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

How Ben_Modified Wows the Crowd: 1 Part Imagination, 2 Parts Fabrication

1 day ago in News

Ben_Modified's build combines some of our favorite things.

2017 Audi A8 L

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

2 days ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

2 days ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

3 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

4 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

5 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

5 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

1 week ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 week ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
DrpHv9Yt2HXZSI8jJtduZecOQbQ1KKwC