1 2 3
octavious
octavious Dork
5/24/18 7:14 a.m.

With the last day of school being today, I'm thinking of taking a road trip with my 8 year old this summer.  Just a boy and his dad out on a road trip, fishing, junk food, camping, etc.  I realize that the memories will be made in route to the destination, I'm just looking for destination ideas.  I figure 2-3 days of backroads driving out to the destination, maybe 1.5-2 days back if we mix in some interstate on the return.  But I'm trying to think of a destination, whether it be something physical like a monument, mountain, etc.  or something to see, car race, motorcycle race, etc.  In his 8 years he has been form FL to PA, mostly on interstate.  We live in TN but have vactationed or visited family in FL, NC, VA and PA. 

Any one have any ideas on what the destination should be? 

And since this is a car forum I'm thinking of taking my new-to-me Mustang GT convertible, with all my backpacking gear in the trunk.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/24/18 7:21 a.m.

Being from one state over, the first thing that came to mind if you have a couple days of driving would be Jekyll Island or Savannah by way of Stone Mountain. Or if you want to go one state west, you could go to Mobile and see the USS Alabama, if he's the sort who is into big ships.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/18 7:57 a.m.

Might want to make a map of what states he's been to and choose a state he hasn't. I also love the random hey let's just go to this cool sounding small town and see what's there.  Dart board with a map?  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/24/18 8:06 a.m.

Go to Road America

http://www.roadamerica.com/events.html

And drive the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive on the way there:

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
5/24/18 8:15 a.m.

What's he into? Cars? Nature? Sports? National history? The destination should be something that interests him enough to add some excitement to the trip. Otherwise he's just driving around with dad (awesome) to go to some boring place/event (not awesome).

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/18 8:20 a.m.

Bring him to Charleston and hit up Fort Sumpter, Fort Moultrie and Patriots point. That's two days worth.

Between here and there are the mountains for camping. Deals Gap. There is also Edisto Beach State park for beach front camping about an hour south of Charleston. Dreher Island State Park for lake side camping about half way between the mountains and Charleston. Columbia SC has a really nice kids museum as well. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/24/18 8:31 a.m.

I would think that camping someplace with a lake and boat rental would be great fun for an 8-year old if he likes fishing and swimming and stuff.  Virginia has a bunch of really great state parks, and I suspect Tennessee does also.  I was in the Knoxville area last summer for the eclipse, and I've heard there's some awesome fishing in the area.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/24/18 8:48 a.m.

The southwest.  Was just there with my 9 year old. Did all the junior ranger program and stargazing with her.

She ain't never gonna forget it.

octavious
octavious Dork
5/24/18 8:51 a.m.

We spend a lot of time outdoors, hiking, camping, and just being outside.  His only hobbies are karate, and running, jumping, pull ups, Legos, and just being a boy.  No lie the kid runs everywhere and we have a pull up bar in over the door frame that he is always on.  I couldn't do 5 pull ups in a row at 8, but he can.   And he does like to camp, so that is a bonus, to this whole idea happening.  

I was thinking a car race or something because, moment of truth... neither he or I have ever been to a true car race. Nascar, F1, Indy, Historics, etc.  I'm a car nut and never been to any race ever.  

He likes cars, but isn't really "into" cars yet.  He's not obsessed like we are, but I don't really expect him to be at 8.  We have the 911 as the project car, that he loves to ride in, and now we have the Mustang as another fun car.  He likes some sports, we've been to see the local AAA team and he liked that.  

@1988RedT2, we live in Knoxville now, and love it.  Like I said we spend a lot of time outside in this area, canoeing, camping and hiking.  But that brings up a good idea.  Blue Ridge Parkway.  I did that a few years ago via motorcycle and camping and had a good time.  My brother in law and I rode both and then camped along the way in VA and WV.  It allowed us to explore a little and not feel totally rushed.  

@Madscientist, AL is a good one, maybe hit the Natchez Trace Parkway along the way.  I can't do Jekyl Island, I've spent waaaay too much time in trainings in Brunswick.  

@Toyman from 01-06 we lived in upstate SC.  I've done Charleston, but he hasn't.  Interstingly enough my buddy has hunting property in SC and that could serve as a stop as well.  Hmmmmm

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
5/24/18 9:44 a.m.

Mammoth cave?

KaiserM715
KaiserM715 New Reader
5/24/18 10:06 a.m.

There is also the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH.  One of, if not the, largest collections of aircraft on the planet.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/18 10:25 a.m.

2 completely different options.

1) blitz down to FL in 24 hours then once in key largo, drive down the keys stopping frequently along the way and camping at spots throughout the keys on the way down to key West and back. Other potential FL stops along the way are Sebring, Daytona and GRM.

2) Bowling Green for the Corvette museum, US 129 to Charlotte for Nascar HOF then VIR. Several universities have engineering labs at VIR. https://www.odu.edu/news/news-archive/2008/05/ODUVIPEROp_10002#.WwbYmB8pB-E this could potentially plant the seed that if he becomes interested in cars that there are high level careers in the field. Conversation could quickly turn to suspension tech relating to aspects encountered when driving on tail of the dragon and the differences drivetrain layout makes in handling between the 911 and mustang. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/24/18 10:31 a.m.

Downtown Nashville for a pub crawl. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
5/24/18 10:34 a.m.

Rocket center museum in Huntsville, then down to Barber Track and museum (they have some motorcycle and regional car races coming up...absolutely beautiful facility), even swing by Talladega museum, then maybe over to north georgia for wHite water rafting/camping....or some similar loop that is not so far as to be driving non stop.

there is a 2 day NASA race event at Road Atlanta in mid june...camp free in infield (there are showers) roam infield (I think it may be $10 entry to spectate for weekend)...playground for kids there I think.  Take your bikes to travel all over infield.  Then wander back roads over to north ga for a day of white water rafting and camping.  Very little long driving but lots of beautiful backroads

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/24/18 10:38 a.m.

I'd recommend shorter drive legs, not sould crushing 20 hour slogs.  But if you went 40 west to Nashville and did something with music, then up 65 to Bowling Green and the Corvette museum (and race track) for car kicks, then a short drive to Mammoth Cave (a lot of fun for a kid, bonus there is a dinosaur attraction there as well).  If he's into baseball the Louisville slugger museum is in Louisville.  The kids science museum in Louisville is a lot of fun and interactive.  Over to Cincinnati there are big sports teams (I guess this is baseball season) as well as a zoo, an aquarium, an Imax theater, and Kings Island.  Up to Dayton for the USAF museum if he likes planes or down to southeast Kentucky for the Natural Bridge and camping/hiking the Red River Gorge area.

Depending on how long you spend at things and how many you hit that should kill a week or three.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
5/24/18 10:58 a.m.
KaiserM715 said:

There is also the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH.  One of, if not the, largest collections of aircraft on the planet.

This (the USAF museum is amazing and admission is free), then the Vintage GP at Mid-Ohio June 23-24.  Ohio's Interstates are full of potholes and big rigs who won't relinquish the fast lane, but our back roads are beautiful and the small towns they connect are full of nice people and great places to eat.  The paddock is free for the Vintage GP so you can alternate between watching racing and walking around the paddock seeing the cars up close.  A lot of the competitors are friendly and happy to talk with kids in a way that, say, Sebastian Bourdais wouldn't have time to.  It's a great event for introducing a kid to the general awesomeness of motorsports.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/24/18 11:19 a.m.

Lots of state parks with all skill levels of hiking to things like overlooks and waterfalls between you and me (Mont Al) with a lego store in the Galleria, Barber Motorsports park, and an awesome indoor electric gokart track in and around Birmingham.  Talladega Natl forest is a short way out of town with the highest point in Al (not that high) so you could start the tradition of visiting the highest points in each state which sounds great to me personally with my own 12 yr old

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/24/18 11:20 a.m.

Tail of the Dragon, then catch a NASA weekend at Summit Point June 9/10?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/24/18 11:45 a.m.
JamesMcD said:

Mammoth cave?

Caves are nine kinds of awesome. Find caves. 

octavious
octavious Dork
5/24/18 1:58 p.m.

Thanks guys.  Some awesome ideas, and I am very appreciative.  As I look into some of these I may follow up with some of you for more details. 

I excited to see how many Mammoth Cave suggestions there are because that is our family camping trip this year.  (we are trying to hit as many National Parks as possible).  We had actually planned to go during spring break but that coincided with a cold spell and camping at 20 degrees in the snow with the kids didn't seem like such a good idea.   

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/18 2:22 p.m.
bluebarchetta said:
KaiserM715 said:

This (the USAF museum is amazing and admission is free), then the Vintage GP at Mid-Ohio June 23-24.  Ohio's Interstates are full of potholes and big rigs who won't relinquish the fast lane, but our back roads are beautiful and the small towns they connect are full of nice people and great places to eat.  The paddock is free for the Vintage GP so you can alternate between watching racing and walking around the paddock seeing the cars up close.  A lot of the competitors are friendly and happy to talk with kids in a way that, say, Sebastian Bourdais wouldn't have time to.  It's a great event for introducing a kid to the general awesomeness of motorsports.

The vintage GP is my favorite event at Mid Ohio, very kid friendly.  If you do end up going I will suggest showing up on Friday, When my kids were younger they got to sit in all kinds of cool stuff and almost everyone is happy to spend a few minutes talking to you.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/24/18 4:12 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

Regarding Mammoth Cave.  It’s a state park and there is a lodge (kinda old hotel) on site as well as neat cabins.  The cabins were cool and about as cheap to rent as an empty campsite.  Underground is always around 54 degrees winter and summer, nice for when it’s a thousand degrees in July.  A lot of the tours book up early so go online and get your tickets ahead of time, there aren’t any bad tours but still good to have your bases covered.

If you don’t stay there, just up the road a bit in Cave City (a blue million tourist traps along the strip BTW) there is a motel straight out of the 50’s where the rooms are teepees (yeah I know, still cool Americana).

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
5/24/18 5:42 p.m.

See Rock City.  Linville Caverns.  Mile high swinging bridge.  Cherokee.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
5/25/18 1:41 p.m.

Another vote for  Mammoth caves. Great time there.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/18 5:00 p.m.

My son is 7 and anything fast, loud, big, or powerful gets him going. One of the coolest this was watching at his first drag race. Seeing wagons etc launch and pop willies had him going crazy. It was awesome. 

I say take him to a race,  but not something super long or be okay with leaving early. Also, go camping and stuff on the way. See if there are any of those animotronic dinosaur exhibits near you. Those make even a grown man giggle

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yxuIhOq2o4Dry7dZS45RMkJac7X7HmL4GywJBfJtIQ6c5kM6JFz7m3B2AFNCod3n