1 2
Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/11/14 3:51 p.m.

I remember when Pong had a $1500.00 price tag. And had a friend whose parents worked for Warner Bros, and spent that on his birthday present.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/11/14 4:43 p.m.
ZOO wrote: descramble the Playboy channel.

I remember those days.

Am I the only one that thinks it's sad that a 30 year old ad from a burger chain is news?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
1/11/14 5:48 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
I remember those days. Am I the only one that thinks it's sad that a 30 year old ad from a burger chain is news?

Yes, you are, because it was one of the best commercials ever.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/11/14 7:30 p.m.

Gawd, I remember those ads when they were what would be called a 'meme' now.

A buddy figured out that HBO was halfway between 6 and 7 on the VHF channel, he stacked various paperback books etc till it moved the knob just enough to get it. We watched 'The Inglorious Bastards' in B&W on that TV.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
1/12/14 12:25 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace: Yes one of the best but not "THE BEST".. This Is the greatest commercial ever.. Not just that commercial; much like the Where's the beef commercials. There is a whole series of GUMFIGHTER commercials!!!

Would Clara Peller ever get this sort of tribute? To be honest maybe she did, I have never looked... Although to me THE GUMFIGHTER was every bit the man that John Wayne was, except with gum.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/12/14 6:03 a.m.
The wrote: Unfortunately i remember black and white tv.

I remember watching the 1972 Olympics on our small B&W TV. Then in the mid-1970's my dad caved in and bought a 25" Console Color TV. We were in the game......no remote though except me.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/12/14 6:26 a.m.

I can remember when Wendys was an up and coming burger chain that actually put beef in a burger. The ones that come out the window don't look anything like the ones in the commercial.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/12/14 7:04 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
The wrote: Unfortunately i remember black and white tv.
I remember watching the 1972 Olympics on our small B&W TV. Then in the mid-1970's my dad caved in and bought a 25" Console Color TV. We were in the game......no remote though except me.

We had one a lot like that. Not only was there no remote, but one of these sat on top:

The antenna was mounted on the chimney and it had a motor that turned it. When you turned the knob, the motor would move until it met the direction you wanted. On a windy night we would have to work that sucker back and forth... we finally got cable and I remember watching 'Saturday Night Live' with the first (and IMHO best) cast including Belushi, Curtin, Ackroyd, Newman, etc.

The first TV remote I ever saw had a WIRE running to it.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/12/14 12:50 p.m.

Remember getting yelled at for spinning the knobs too fast? But MOOOOOOM, its UHF!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/14 6:40 p.m.

Was Joe Isuzu the one who said "it's okay kid.. I can't say Chev-er-ay"??

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/13/14 11:29 a.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Was Joe Isuzu the one who said "it's okay kid.. I can't say Chev-er-ay"??

That was an Isuzu ad but Joe wasn't in it. There was a guy at a car show who couldn't pronounce 'Isuzu', an Asian guy was trying to help him. At the end the Asian guy puts an arm around his soulders and says 'That OK. I no can say Chev-a-ray'.

The later Joe Isuzu ads were pretty funny. The first one where he decides to make his comeback was funny, but there was a 'backstory' video that was shown at dealer meetings that was even funnier.

'Comeback' ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnfAha9HEzE

I wish I could find the backstory vid.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/14 11:43 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJMq_7alQpU

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/13/14 6:56 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote:
I remember those days. Am I the only one that thinks it's sad that a 30 year old ad from a burger chain is news?
Yes, you are, because it was one of the best commercials ever.

Really? So I thought maybe I was wrong and just watched it on youtube. I wouldn't even call it a good commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MK9jJzbBT8

Seriously?

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
1/13/14 11:48 p.m.

Ironically Clara Peller was fired after doing a Prego pasta sauce commercial. In the commercial, proclaiming; "I found it! I really found it". However, after the Prego commercial aired on television in 1985, Wendy's management decided to terminate her contract, contending that the Prego commercial implies "that Clara found the beef at somewhere other than Wendy's restaurants".

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zdIIZABJy5ir205fADz0E9cowvUFHeRbYYIm67Sl8YGtIQu7iHV8a5lLG95cDNLD