1 2
oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
1/15/17 12:18 p.m.

I'd say that is more likely to have the 413 big block than the 318 small block. Big block distributor is in the front, small block in the back to identify.

It's also going to be straight axle with drum brakes up front. Take a grease gun for the king pins when you go to pick it up, your shoulders will thank you.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/15/17 2:55 p.m.
Jay_W wrote: Ok... that is 70'tastic. Downside is 6mpg and omg antique everything and probably awful hydraulic brakes and wtf are you thinking. Upsides.... man, someone has put some effort into that thing. That bumper ain't oem. Niether is the fridge. Or the galley countertops or the bathroom. Are you sure it's a sightseer? If so, it's a Winnebago and still in business... slight chance they may stock parts still. Slight. If it's a sight seeker, it might be a Travco, which was top shelf back then. Either way, one wonders what else has been done to it over the years. Our road condo is an '89 Foretravel. You won't get anything but enabling from the likes of me. If you go look at it hit me with a pm and I will send you a most comprehensive buyers checklist that served me very well.

According to my research, it's definitely a Travco based motor home. I believe this predates Winnie's involvement with the Sight Seer name, but my research is very limited. Someone said likely a 413 V8. According to the brochure and ad scans I've found,it does seem very likely to be a little 318.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
1/15/17 3:48 p.m.

Worth lookin at, seems like.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/15/17 4:04 p.m.

I've dealt with exactly one class A RV that had a 318. It was one of those weird Winnebago Braves with a shorter wheelbase than an average long bed truck. Also those late 70s Dodge RV shifters are one of my favorite things for some reason. I still have one somewhere that I need to find an excuse to use.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/15/17 6:33 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: I've dealt with exactly one class A RV that had a 318. It was one of those weird Winnebago Braves with a shorter wheelbase than an average long bed truck.

There was a winnie brave very near to where I was living in Quebec. I lusted after it too.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/15/17 7:25 p.m.

I see oldopelguy has already said what I came to say. That size of RV most likely has the 413. 318 would barely move that thing, although a good engine. My dad had a Pace Arrow RV of that era with a 413 in it, no issues. Ironically, a couple years later he traded it in on a bigger Pace Arrow RV with a 440 and that one had a transmission failure once. No issues after it was repaired though. I can see and know about short Class A and Class C RV's that used small blocks but from what I've seen longer than 18' usually had a big block of some make. Smallest I've seen in a 20' is a 390 Ford. I would hope that has at least a 413 in it but Canada, who's to say. Maybe does have 318.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/17/17 5:25 p.m.

Bee in bonnet swatted - bought me a 1/2 challenge budget Mazda B4000 for dump runs and general bashing on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tiPMgJGYzYF0BrwkL6sxEuigKT4h0FQF2JBjC5KMgqhDm1YlzoGBRgs0WyCeLHpN