scardeal Reader
April 15, 2010 7:49 a.m.

So I finally sold off my winter beater, a 98 Jetta.

After my "Does it exist?" thread, I've decided that a 90's 3-series sedan or 5-series sedan w/ a manual transmission is just about perfect for my needs and wants.

So, I've been trolling Craigslist. I use the following query to try and root out unmentionables:
BMW (spd | speed | stick | manual )
This should, theoretically, only yield BMWs with manual transmissions, right?!? Well, just about every single one is a bleeping automatic with "Autostick" or "manual mode"...

Grr.....

April 15, 2010 7:51 a.m.

Try SearchTempests advanced search - it was pretty good at eliminating all the super, club and access cabs when I was looking for a crew truck.

billy3esq SuperDork
April 15, 2010 8:05 a.m.

You can add something like (-auto -automatic -slushbox) to adjust that. That has the potential to exclude legitimate hits if someone who mentioned automatic climate control, for example.

bludroptop SuperDork
April 15, 2010 8:12 a.m.
scardeal wrote: This should, theoretically, only yield BMWs with manual transmissions, right?!? Well, just about every single one is a bleeping automatic with "Autostick" or "manual mode"... Grr.....

Unfortunately true. Conversely, I also find a number of cars listed as 'automatic' where the photos clearly show 3 pedals. Don't get me started on the number of "V-6" equipped e36 cars on Craigslist and Autotrader, including many with 318 badges on the rear decklid.

For extra frustration, try searching for Z4 Coupes and see how many have cloth tops - including listings by BMW dealers.

The right car will turn up eventually, but it requires a boatload of patience.

Duke SuperDork
April 15, 2010 2:45 p.m.

Try looking for an (E36) M3 and see how many "M3 clone" or "M3 conversion" or "M3 bodykit" cars you have to wade through - not to mention the ones that outright lie and call it an M3 when clearly it is anything but.

cwh SuperDork
April 15, 2010 4:10 p.m.

What grinds me are the ads with 100 key words added that have nothing to do with your search. I don't want a body kit for a Civic if I searching for a Volvo wagon!!

DrBoost Dork
April 15, 2010 5:05 p.m.

search in the non-dealer sections. I find that the dealer will have no idea what a car has, hence the V6 3 series and Wranglers and the wranglers advertised as "4X4" as if there were any 2WD Wranglers. Plus my skin gets all itchy when I talk to a dealer.

maroon92 SuperDork
April 15, 2010 10:32 p.m.

The new Wrangler is available in RWD...Jus' Sayin'

jrw1621 Dork
April 15, 2010 10:41 p.m.

www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.

mtn SuperDork
April 15, 2010 10:56 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.

And yet when I look for a manual transmission minivan (don't judge me) I come up with Ford Windstars, late-model Dodge products, and Toyota Sienna's.

Streetwiseguy Reader
April 15, 2010 11:37 p.m.
mtn wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.

And yet when I look for a manual transmission minivan (don't judge me) I come up with Ford Windstars, late-model Dodge products, and Toyota Sienna's.

I saw a stick shift Caravan once about 15 years ago.....

mtn SuperDork
April 15, 2010 11:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
mtn wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.

And yet when I look for a manual transmission minivan (don't judge me) I come up with Ford Windstars, late-model Dodge products, and Toyota Sienna's.

I saw a stick shift Caravan once about 15 years ago.....

I'm assuming it was one of the originals though...

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

8 hours ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

1 day ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

4 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

4 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

5 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

6 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

6 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

6 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 week ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

1 week ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
7KFjFDcuV7veE4y4Q35ixhJH3CuQKbiO