pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/18 12:01 p.m.

The other day my air compressor stopped pressurizing the tank.  (Electric Campbell Hausfield from Lowes)  The electric motor is working fine and it makes all the usual noises, but no air pressure.  I checked all lines for leaks or disconnects, but it's all good.  It just sits in a corner of the garage, so no weather or impact damage, it just quit suddenly.  

What's the most likely culprit?  Something that I can fix or replace, or is it time to look for a new one? 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/18 12:02 p.m.

I have a 40 gallon that does the same thing. Won't pressurize beyond 30psi

pinchvalve
2/6/18 12:04 p.m.

I found that the replacement pump motor is $250, so that's not happening.  For the little that I use it, I will just get another one on sale somewhere.  

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/18 12:04 p.m.

1- head gasket (if it has one. some are a 1-piece cast cylinder and head)

2- cracked ring and/or scored cylinder

3- blown reed valve (easiest and cheapest to fix.)

air compressors are basically like 2-stroke engines.  They have passive flapper valves (reed valves) that allow fresh air in during the down stroke then an opposite-facing reed valve that allows the air to be compressed into the tank.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/6/18 12:36 p.m.
Nugi
Nugi New Reader
2/7/18 7:35 a.m.

Looks like a new oilless type. I have had luck doing a ghetto rebuild on these when I find them free. Inside is a cylinder made from pipe, clamped between 2 die cast aluminum/pot metal castings by 4 long bolts. There is a familiar piston with ring setup inside, check the ring, hone the cyl if needed, lightly oil (i use silicone/teflon type spray) and assemble. If your head gasket is toast, I use copper rtv, the spray on stuff is great for all kinda hgs. Bottom end is bearings usually, so nothing needed there. This is assuming your safety valve isnt stuck open, or some other leak. Soapy water is your friend. Looks like I left out the valve, I always spray it down with parts cleaner and make sure it can make a seal. Best do that before mucking with cyl. I find the oilless type 'disposable' in quality and use cast iron, but they are getting hard to find new, at a reasonable price. The oilless being cheaper to mfg, and quieter to operate seems to be the kicker. If by chance yours is iron, just buy the rebuild kit after ckecking for leaks.

Edit: also seen these fail by head bolts coming loose, make sure they are snug before further tshooting.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/7/18 12:00 p.m.
Curtis said:

3- blown reed valve (easiest and cheapest to fix.)

That would be my guess too.  If that's the case the repair kit is only about $8, and they even include a video on how to replace it.

pinchvalve
2/21/18 1:38 p.m.

You guys!  Turns out that it was a simple broken reed valve, the entire replacement kit was $8 ($10 shipping) 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/18 8:16 a.m.

I keep a small portable compressor in my shed. I use it for filling car tires and lawn equipment and will use it for small jobs that don’t require a lot of cfm. The other day I am filling a tire and then I put a blow gun on the line and start blowing out the debris that gets stuck at the base of the windshields of severial of my cars.  My compressor starts to sound labored and then stops. I look up and there is thick grey green smoke poring out of the shed door. I run over and grab the cord and pull it out the door. The cord come out but the plug is gone. It arks and then The breaker pops.  However the smoke is still rolling out the door but not as bad. I peak in the door and see that the cable is smoldering and the box where the cable goes in to the compressor is on fire. I grab the metal Handel and yank it out of the shed and let is burn out. 

So I now need another compressor. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/23/18 2:28 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I keep a small portable compressor in my shed. I use it for filling car tires and lawn equipment and will use it for small jobs that don’t require a lot of cfm. The other day I am filling a tire and then I put a blow gun on the line and start blowing out the debris that gets stuck at the base of the windshields of severial of my cars.  My compressor starts to sound labored and then stops. I look up and there is thick grey green smoke poring out of the shed door. I run over and grab the cord and pull it out the door. The cord come out but the plug is gone. It arks and then The breaker pops.  However the smoke is still rolling out the door but not as bad. I peak in the door and see that the cable is smoldering and the box where the cable goes in to the compressor is on fire. I grab the metal Handel and yank it out of the shed and let is burn out. 

So I now need another compressor. 

Your story makes that quite clear!  At least you don't need a new shed as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0ALHFcoIzSJjF7XWzQVT2bzk196N8EzShYNMXehoN7LZbYVBlcyhqicIFDguUKH