This could be useful:

Good Sam’s tow rating for 2019

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/19 5:04 p.m.
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/19 5:42 p.m.

3.5L twin turbo V6, roughly 7500 pounds of trailer. On that trip we went from Michigan to Nevada and back in August. 110 degrees in the desert, through the Rockies, the whole bit. It never skipped a beat. That was 2.5 years and 30k miles ago, and she still runs like a top. I'm not worried about towing with my turbocharged gas engine.

Garandman
Garandman New Reader
3/2/19 6:52 p.m.

Wally said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Even modern diesels have issues with heat which is why newer trucks keep getting bigger grills. 

Trucks get ever-larger grills because truck buyers equate it with toughness and other attributes.

A 2015 Ford E250 couldn’t tow an ounce more than the 2005 we had. Our newest tow vehicle at work was a Transit with 3.5 EcoBoost. That engine has two turbos and tows great.

But I don’t understand the premise of the thread. Every WRX or STI has a turbo and has since they came to the US in 2001. I know plenty of folks with over 150,000 miles on the original turbo setup. I have a 2009 WRX, and it’s had a lot of work but the turbo setup is original at 90,000 miles. A properly engineered turbo is just as reliable as anything else.

Garandman
Garandman New Reader
3/2/19 7:01 p.m.

For various reasons, manufacturers rate most vehicles less in the US than other countries. We have two Subaru Outback six cylinder wagons. The older, smaller, less powerful 2006 was rated 3,500 lbs. The 2014 was rated for 3,000 lbs.  

in just about every other country, those same vehicles were rated 2,000kg - 4,400 lbs.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/19 8:16 p.m.
Garandman said:

For various reasons, manufacturers rate most vehicles less in the US than other countries. We have two Subaru Outback six cylinder wagons. The older, smaller, less powerful 2006 was rated 3,500 lbs. The 2014 was rated for 3,000 lbs.  

in just about every other country, those same vehicles were rated 2,000kg - 4,400 lbs.

I always wondered why this is the case. Possibly related to the higher towing speeds allowed in the US?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/19 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Garandman :

That’s the case with some pickups but look at a modern over the road truck at how bigger the grills have gotten and the venting at the rears of the hood.  They need more airflow than they used to.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/2/19 10:44 p.m.
Slippery said:
Garandman said:

I always wondered why this is the case. Possibly related to the higher towing speeds allowed in the US?

Yes. In most of Europe, you cannot go on the highway if you are towing, So it keeps the speeds under about 50 mph.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/19 11:36 p.m.

Didn't porsche made it a point to show us how well the Cayenne can tow by having it pull a passenger plane? 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/3/19 1:13 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

If I remember right that was a Toureg, but basically, yeah.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/19 1:13 a.m.
yupididit said:

Didn't porsche made it a point to show us how well the Cayenne can tow by having it pull a passenger plane? 

The TDi, yes.  The gas turbo?  No.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Well then, nevermind

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KCCrogZAJLuBafXZizN1vOV9gWNYDlGZLsgJwLfxqQjyTYofmT8MJvVyk6lh0fQH