poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/4/18 10:24 p.m.

Anyone else watching? It’s the most thought-provoking thing I’ve seen on TV in a long time, and sparking some interesting dialogue in the poop-house. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
5/4/18 10:37 p.m.

Yeh, we watched it and were fascinated. How did this happen without me knowing about it? 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
5/5/18 12:02 a.m.

I too found it fascinating,  if incomplete. I grew up a hundred miles from the epicenter of the hubbub.  I think most people who did, know someone who was affected or poisoned or even killed by the rashneeshees. A high school friend of mines grandfather died from the first salmonella attack. Knowing that they were working on more effective bio agents is scary as hell.

I remember when i was a child our family went to the Saturday market once when the Rashneeshees did a show of force kind of thing. There was about 75 people in the red clothes dancing down the street in an improvised parade surrounded by another 15 or so carrying uzi's. Must have been around 84. 

A client of my wife investigated,  infiltrated and wrote a lot about it at the time. Win's side of the story

I have more thoughts than I can lay down on a phone screen.  

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/5/18 9:58 a.m.

poopshovel again
5/5/18 12:55 p.m.

DAMMIT! Had to stop reading because we haven’t finished it yet. I think we made it halfway through the 3rd part last night.

Good stuff though.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/5/18 1:02 p.m.

Hold on, is Snoop Dogg is in this? Ig so I'm gonna have to watch it. laugh

simplecat
simplecat Reader
5/6/18 6:02 p.m.

I watched it, and I thought the show really undersold how much Bill Bowerman (Nike founder) had to do with bringing the government down on them. They moved in next door to the richest and most influential person in the state.

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
5/6/18 8:08 p.m.

That E36 M3 was crazy. Lot of poor decisions. 

poopshovel again
5/12/18 8:57 a.m.

Finished up last night. I’m shocked a lot more people didn’t serve a lot more hard time. I thought “attempted murder” was a pretty big deal(?)

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
5/12/18 10:04 p.m.

I watched the whole series this past week as well.  It was well done and enjoyable to watch, but it left me feeling like there were some big gaps left unexplained.

If you did watch the show, the link JKB offered is a very good read and affirms there were many topics left untouched.  Actually I had found it before reading this post.

The other impression the show left me with was Baghwan's followers interviewed in the show, despite appearing to have loved their leader, all looked like cats that had swallowed a canary.

The documentary that this documentary referenced is available on the internet too (the one made by the German fellow that was a member in India).  Linky button here not working, but it is here: https://vimeo.com/247594349.  It is NSFW and not for the feint hearted.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/13/18 12:16 a.m.

I’ll have to add this to the list. 

As an aside, any documentary (even a series) is going to leave stones unturned and could always have spent more time on... well, anything. My grandpa was disappointed in the Ken Burns documentary on WWII, because it kind of glossed over the specific part of the European Theatre that he was in. He’s not wrong, but you have to reign things in somewhere. 

poopshovel again
5/13/18 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Thanks for the info! 

It seems to me as though the creators deliberately glazed over some of the more sinister stuff till the end, in the interest of making the audience ask “who’s the bad guy?”

-which, to me, is fine. It made it more interesting to watch. That said, they could’ve really gone deeper at the end and erased any shadow of a doubt as to how berkeleyed up this group was.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
5/13/18 11:28 a.m.

What I found most creepy about this series was the people who were still under his spell. That lawyer in particular who kept referring to him as the most beautiful and perfect human. 

Like any other guru the rashneesh just managed to say vague things and make them sound profound. It is the same trick every inspirational speaker uses. From Tony Robbins to David avocado to Yoda. They all sound like the sphinx from mystery men

poopshovel again
5/13/18 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Yeah. Dude definitely seemed ripe for the pickin. Just lookin for a particular picker.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G4rX5TYI8FnvEUBN6CPrVVzHyYXIpP0OWFTkg3b2ydetAASmoeKT8pnp3P1guYET