GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/18 7:03 a.m.

Saw some of these the other day:

https://varietypaints.com.au/products/abro-windshield-washer-tablets-5-tablets

A pack of these tablets costs about as much as 3L of wiper fluid around here, seems like a good deal. Has anyone tried these? The biggest potential problem I see is mineral deposits in the wiper system since it would include tap water.

Edit: Mods, feel free to fix title spelling. I can hit 4 keys with 1 thumb on my phone.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/14/18 7:04 a.m.

They offer a payment plan on those?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/14/18 7:04 a.m.

Have not tried them, but if I did I would use distilled water to prevent mineral deposits

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/14/18 7:11 a.m.

Sure wouldn’t work here. You’d end up with a block of blue ice and a split open washer fluid reservoir. Unless they can make alcohols out of water and some kind of tablet which I doubt. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/14/18 7:22 a.m.

Yeah, I was hesitant for only the -25°F stuff.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/18 7:46 a.m.

They work well in non-freezing weather. If you do have to deal with freezing weather you can mix in an anti-freeze but at that point it isn't really worth it over buying it pre-mixed. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/18 7:57 a.m.
Grtechguy said:

They offer a payment plan on those?

Fortnightly payments!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/14/18 7:58 a.m.

No videos of teenagers eating them yet? Internet, I'm disappointed. 

GameboyRMH
11/14/18 8:18 a.m.

I'm looking at these mainly for use in the tropics, so inability to handle freezing temps isn't necessarily a problem. Distilled water (what I usually use in the wiper tank) isn't much cheaper than wiper fluid so I was hoping to get away from that. If this would work well (mainly as in not causing scale buildup) when mixed with tap water then it would really be useful.

I also thought the payment plan was funny...I guess the website offers it for anything with no lower bound on price.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/14/18 8:35 a.m.

I've used liquid concentrate before. I don't see those doing much to protect against freezing, but I could see this as a way to mix in detergents and the like.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/18 10:07 a.m.

This is how the washer fluid in new Mazdas is done. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/14/18 11:50 a.m.

That's how washer fluid was done in the 50s and 60s too. 

I wouldn't be too worried about distilled water either; I'm sure the premixed stuff is just tap water too.

GameboyRMH
11/14/18 12:05 p.m.

Alright I'm going to give this stuff a try and see how it works.

cdowd
cdowd Dork
11/14/18 7:30 p.m.

I use them in the summer here in Michigan and they work great.  Not so much in the winter.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NhDV5qLSjrUig5lwUoUgnIgaxMG4ZzFkRXhuGpv0N4X3H9EseD16zWS6AsY299qL