1 2 3 4
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 7:40 a.m.

I work in an office park with a rather large lot.  There is PLENTY of parking, 50% of the spaces are open at any given time. There is one woman who insists on parking directly over the white line to take up two spaces. (She's in a Honda SUV, so it's not like its an E-Type with a fresh restoration.) It doesn't cause me to have to park further away or anything. In fact, she's not doing this close to the building, there are plenty of spots closer to the door. It shouldn't bother me at all, but some part of my brain screams every time I see it. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/12/19 7:43 a.m.

I would probably park my beater beside her, just a wee bit too close, but that's because I'm a passive agressive jerk.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 7:44 a.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/12/19 7:46 a.m.

I don't have super nice cars, but I always park at the back of the lot.  My cars come to me ten years old and decent, when I sell them they are still remarkably free of door dings.   My wifes cars, not so much.

Maybe she is just protecting her car, this does not excuse parking like an ass.  Cars cost a lot, some care about theirs some don't, she obviously cares.  She is a car person at heart, who parks like an ass.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/12/19 7:50 a.m.

Maybe she moved up from an 88 Corrola and is having trouble parking that rig.  I could nail a parking job in my LWB full sized van, my SWB Pathfinder took me six weeks to learn how to park. 

If I just bought a $40k suv I would protect it too, just not in that way.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/12/19 7:52 a.m.

Yes it would bother me. Especially if those two spots stay shady for a while.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 7:53 a.m.

If she isn't blocking a needed space, it wouldn't bother me at all. 

A can of black paint to remove every other line would solve the problem for sure. First class parking instead of economy. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/12/19 7:54 a.m.

That CRV looks pretty new.  If she rents or lives in an apt then this is the most expensive thing she owns.  

Not an excuse, just a reason.  

The correct move would be to park farther out  and walk in but maybe she has walking issues.  

The safest spot is a space like this picture and then super-hug the curb so at to intentionally keep you as far away from the other space.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/12/19 7:54 a.m.

If it's a fairly empty parking lot, and the person parks far away it wouldn't bother me. I might not do the same thing, but it sounds like they're trying to go about it in the least jerkish way.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
7/12/19 7:55 a.m.

I went to the gym and some chick was parked like that, I just parked my Suburban in the middle of the spot that was left. I have a video of her getting in the passenger side of her vehicle-it made my day. I would not be bothered if it was the far end of the lot (where I park my shiny vehicles) but this is in front of the doors.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/12/19 7:59 a.m.

Nope. I used to "double-park" my 135i at work when I still had it. But it was at the back of the lot, where literally no one else parked in the row. And by "double-park" I would park right on or right next to the line, and the other guys here that drive BMWs would be at the other end of the row (it curves around a little pond next to the building) maybe 15 spaces away. 

Our editor drives a Jaguar and parks on the other side of the building and does the same thing. 

Goes to show how good life is if this is bothering you. cheeky

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
7/12/19 8:10 a.m.

If the lot is never full and she wasn't laying claim to two "premium" spots, I'd probably shake my head a little at the absurdity but I doubt it would bother me.  Not enough to still be thinking about it when I get into the office and on my computer to post here.  cheeky

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 8:15 a.m.

With lots of parking available? Just slightly annoying. If there were a shortage of spots it would be infuriating to the point that something bad might happen to that car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/12/19 8:34 a.m.

What usually happens to me is I go to work and park in between the lines, then I come out after work and find someone has parked next to me over the line, about six inches from my driver's door.  There are a few repeat offenders in the office and for some reason they mostly drive Honda Fits, which should have no issue in fitting in between the lines.  It's as though they jumped out of the car when it was moving and just let it coast to a stop wherever.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/12/19 8:35 a.m.

I'm not sure if anything gets more "First World Problems" than this.

And the thought of vandalizing someone else's property because of how they park should probably make some people reconsider why such escalation is appropriate.  

And no, I have never parked like this.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
7/12/19 8:40 a.m.

I park as far away from other cars as I can, in a single spot. One individual parking across two spots when everyone else using the lot is parking correctly strikes me as simply rude and self-centered behavior in defiance of accepted social convention. But that's me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/12/19 8:42 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

With lots of parking available? Just slightly annoying. If there were a shortage of spots it would be infuriating to the point that something bad might happen to that car.

Really? Vandalize someone's car who has done no damage to yours? 

That seems more than over the top. Even worse than the Stallone movie of the same name.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/12/19 8:55 a.m.

Do this:

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :she wouldn't see it because she pulls in.

In reply to OP :maybe one day you get there before her and park in her spot?

wae
wae SuperDork
7/12/19 9:15 a.m.

I worked in an office where there was a guy who parked his F150 like that.  I'd bring in the motorcycle and park it in the "leftover" of the space that the driver's door was on.  Not so close as to make it real difficult to get in and out of his truck, but close-ish.  Apparently his office overlooked the parking lot because every time I did that, I'd pass him on the steps as I came in and he went out to move his truck away from my bike.  I just smiled, waved, played dumb, and wished him a good morning.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/12/19 9:19 a.m.

I would drive me crazy. It shouldn't, but it would.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 9:44 a.m.
z31maniac said:
GameboyRMH said:

That seems more than over the top. Even worse than the Stallone movie of the same name.

To me, when someone takes up a second spot that other people desperately need in order to avoid having to park some relatively stupendous distance away just because this person thinks their car is too special to be potentially exposed to door dings like every other 1-space-using non-asshat's car, that person is an enormous shiny happy person who totally deserves the sort of damage that being parked in close quarters like any one of us plebians might cause. Maybe after their priceless Ming vase of a CRV or whatever is blemished, they'll accept the reality that unless there's an excess of parking, we all have to stick to just one parking space to make room for everyone, even if it means risking damage.

TL;DR a car parked over 2 spots where parking is in short supply is a garish monument to the owner's pathological selfishness.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/12/19 9:45 a.m.
akylekoz said:

Maybe she moved up from an 88 Corrola and is having trouble parking that rig.  I could nail a parking job in my LWB full sized van, my SWB Pathfinder took me six weeks to learn how to park.

I actually agree with this. I can do a pretty good job of putting a crew cab long bed where I want it. I find modern SUVs more difficult. 

wae
wae SuperDork
7/12/19 9:51 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
z31maniac said:
GameboyRMH said:

To me, when someone takes up a second spot that other people desperately need in order to avoid having to park some relatively stupendous distance away just because this person thinks their car is too special to be potentially exposed to door dings like every other 1-space-using non-asshat's car, that person is an enormous shiny happy person who totally deserves the sort of damage that being parked in close quarters like any one of us plebians might cause. Maybe after their priceless Ming vase of a CRV or whatever is blemished, they'll accept the reality that unless there's an excess of parking, we all have to stick to just one parking space to make room for everyone, even if it means risking damage.

TL;DR a car parked over 2 spots where parking is in short supply is a garish monument to the owner's pathological selfishness.

I don't think that makes it better....  Yeah, they're acting like an entitled jerk, but I'm just not seeing how a bad attitude equals justification for property damage.  I have no problem making a guy run up and down the steps every day giving me dirty looks, but damaging his vehicle?  I don't think you win life by being more of an a-hole than other a-holes....  But you do you, I guess.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/12/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Dude you're starting to sound like me. 

It really doesn't bother me unless I'm parked in my spot, inside the lines, and come out to find some douchenozzle over the line into my spot so I can't get in. I may or may not have left some dents or scratches in those situations before, particularly when I'm already parked away from the masses to begin with. When I still had a miata I would cozy right on up to the people taking up 2 spots and just get in and out through the top.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UmyT4kAHXeLn1JLLZGobzlw4cSEtlnceY8IwlOiKKIbdFUkStEmMFwqtrvyt3OMP