1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/12/19 9:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
z31maniac said:
GameboyRMH said:

With lots of parking available? Just slightly annoying. If there were a shortage of spots it would be infuriating to the point that something bad might happen to that car.

Really? Vandalize someone's car who has done no damage to yours? 

That seems more than over the top. Even worse than the Stallone movie of the same name.

To me, when someone takes up a second spot that other people desperately need in order to avoid having to park some relatively stupendous distance away just because this person thinks their car is too special to be potentially exposed to door dings like every other 1-space-using non-asshat's car, that person is an enormous shiny happy person who totally deserves the sort of damage that being parked in close quarters like any one of us plebians might cause. Maybe after their priceless Ming vase of a CRV or whatever is blemished, they'll accept the reality that unless there's an excess of parking, we all have to stick to just one parking space to make room for everyone, even if it means risking damage.

TL;DR a car parked over 2 spots where parking is in short supply is a garish monument to the owner's pathological selfishness.

So you're changing the scenario that was presented in the original post as an excuse to damage personal property?

Is 50% of the spaces open not an "excess of parking?"

Did you read the original post, or are you just trying to find something to be indignant about?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 9:56 a.m.

She's not hurting anyone. She's trying to take care of her car. There are loads of other spaces. You've got better things to do with your time than try to "correct" that behavior. Just relax.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 10:04 a.m.
z31maniac said:

So you're changing the scenario that was presented in the original post as an excuse to damage personal property?

Is 50% of the spaces open not an "excess of parking?"

Did you read the original post, or are you just trying to find something to be indignant about?

I'm not changing the scenario at all, read my posts carefully. 50% of spaces open is an excess of parking so I'd only be slightly annoyed by someone taking up 2 spaces even though there's no need for anyone to park close to anyone else.

RevRico said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Dude you're starting to sound like me. 

It really doesn't bother me unless I'm parked in my spot, inside the lines, and come out to find some douchenozzle over the line into my spot so I can't get in. I may or may not have left some dents or scratches in those situations before, particularly when I'm already parked away from the masses to begin with. When I still had a miata I would cozy right on up to the people taking up 2 spots and just get in and out through the top.

I'm generally a very chill person but if anyone wants to really push my buttons, you just need to do something that massively wrongs a bunch of people for a morsel of your own personal gain. I've been trapped by cars parking too close like you describe - one time I had to slowly contort myself in through a tiny gap (in front of an audience who at least cheered and clapped when I got in), another time I had to climb in through the back of my Samurai. Both of those situations only moderately annoyed me. If I'd seen the people responsible, I probably just would've given them a stern talking-to. They only inconvenienced one person and it may not have been intentional.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/12/19 10:04 a.m.

When I worked at Autozone in town here we would actually double park on purpose in 2 specific places if we got there first that day. Under our sign or the half spot next to the sign. These were the 2 places your car was least likely to get dinged while you were there for 6+ hours. I was usually driving beaters when I worked there so it didn't matter much to me.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/12/19 10:41 a.m.

I ignore all the typical parking lot weirdness by parking way out in no mans land. If the lot is full I'll park someplace else or conduct my business later or elsewhere. I don't have a job where I have to park at work, when I did, I needed to design a new parking lot for other reasons which was larger than the # of parking spaces necessary so I designed one with a notch in an island/planter bed for a single vehicle and had the lines laid designating that it was a single space so I'd have MY own spot. hahaha

Edit: Note the parking spaces in the background are wider than typical modern spacing and double lines with more space between cars for door opening width. Ya, I'm a picky when it comes to parking.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/Yellow81Malibu011.jpg.html][/URL]

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/12/19 11:04 a.m.

Yes. Absurdly so. I don't have any issue with people protecting their investments, but that means parking out in the back 40 not taking up multiple spots. What's the point of having lines if people don't park between them? It's a miniscule selfishness that probably bleeds over into other parts of their life. Am I over reacting? Probably.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/12/19 11:29 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Cool hot rods in your pic.  I like the Nova and the irony of the Nova given its rarety. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/12/19 11:36 a.m.

As a harmless passive-agressive act, if you must, mimic her move; make a habit of parking next to her leaving the same space as if she had parked in the middle of her space.

Stop parking next to her when she relocated to the middle of the lines.

Pete

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 11:39 a.m.

I've always found it interesting to look at parking lots when the lines are obscured by snow. People leave more space. It turns out that according to most drivers, parking spaces are artifically narrow.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/12/19 11:39 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

The problem with this plan is she leaves before you one day and now you are the new target for the shiny happy people that do nothing but scheme ways to get revenge on double parkers.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 11:40 a.m.

I should be clear that I have NO INTENTION of doing anything about it, I am just trying to figure out why it bothers me. I think the answer has been mentioned: she is parking far from the building and there are plenty of open spaces, so why does she ALSO have to take up two spaces? It's violating a social norm for no good reason. I will continue to notice and then immediately ignore it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/12/19 11:42 a.m.

Would it bother me?  No.

Would I do the same thing?  No. 

I will park my new car away from the riff-raff and walk. 

My 14-year old MPV has only a few door dings in it, so I must be doing something right.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/12/19 11:46 a.m.

Honestly parking issues that concern me more is the rare occasion that I drive the crew cab long bed to run errands (like a true wasteful American etc), I try to park at the edge of the lot and back in so the overhang past the rear axle is sticking over grass or whatever. The concept of me stopping and backing into a spot seems to confuse and upset so many people. Like is it not obvious what I'm trying to do here to make a huge barge of a truck take up the smallest amount of usable space? 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/19 11:50 a.m.

I stopped following a Facebook car site because the members got so wrapped up in shaming bad parkers. Someone would take twenty photos from all angles of a car that had strayed over the line iin a deserted parking lot. The crime is when you inconvenience other people. Not when you do not park well.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/12/19 12:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I've always found it interesting to look at parking lots when the lines are obscured by snow. People leave more space. It turns out that according to most drivers, parking spaces are artifically narrow.

This is very true.  A good many "modern" parking lots have lines that, even when properly parked between, make it very easy to ding the guy next to you.  I am even more aware of this now that I'm in the CX-9, which somehow must be a "large" vehicle in this era.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/12/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

This is usually a zoning issue.  The zoning requires that a building of so many square feet requires X number of parking spaces.  To make it happen they then decrease the size of each space.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 12:19 p.m.

It doesn't bother me.

What does bother me are people who park right up next to you.  I generally park far out, and next to a curb or other dead zone, if at all possible.  I wouldn't double park, but I can understand why one would do that with a truck that big where it's impossible to get in and out without having to swing the door all the way open.

tl;dr: she has a big truck and is trying to not give other people door dings

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
7/12/19 12:20 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Car people don't drive CR-V's.  A car person would be in a Civic Type R.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/12/19 12:41 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Cool hot rods in your pic.  I like the Nova and the irony of the Nova given its rarety. 

Bought the Twin Cam Nova new from my cousins dealership for the wife (yes it's manual). Eventually fired the wife and gave her the Nova as a parting gift as part of settlement with the understanding that I wanted it back when she was done with it. When she was done with it she also happened to owe me money I knew she'd never pay back so I said "just give me the car & we'll call it even".

Now, when I bought the car, I'd intended to just keep it for a very long time long after she was done with it. So after taking delivery I ordered all new plastic emblems, exhaust tips, Nova mud flaps etc. and put them away thinking 15-20 years down the road when the car would need repaint they'd be impossible to find NOS (remember pre-internet then). When I gave her the car I kept the new parts. Fast forward 20 years and I got it from her in '08 after several years of it sitting when she'd bought a new car and as expected it needed a refresh.

I was moving from CT to FL at the time so I made it safe to drive with some tires,  brake work, fluid changes etc. and drove it from CT to FL thinking eventually I'd restore it.  The exhaust broke loose on the New Jersey Turnpike and was dragging on the highway during night time so I pulled in a rest area and drove one side up onto curbing so the car would be high enough to crawl under & wrestle the exhaust off. With a lot of repeated bending to snap exhaust hangers off I got it out, folded it in half and stuck it all  in a 55 gal garbage can. With the oxygen sensor dangling I continued another 1000+ miles on my journey.

Once in FL I had a lot of other projects ahead of it so it sat, and sat, for 9 years. Finally I sold it on CL knowing there's not enough wrenching time left in my life to get to it. Guy that bought it owns several Maaco shops on the west coast of FL and had grown up driving a regular Nova along with his brother. They decided to buy a Nova as a joke because they'd always told their kids when growing up that they were going to buy them a crappy 5th gen Nova to learn to drive just like they had to. He stumbled on my Twin Cam looking for a junky regular Nova to play a joke on the kids and decided to buy it and restore it. The 4AG Twin Cam still happily sang up to redline and pulled hard  over 4300 RPM as it always had. Hope he restored it.

Meanwhile I still have all the emblems etc. because the ones on the car still looked good so he didn't want to buy them. Anyone looking for an 88 Nova Twin Cam OEM NOS front bumper, emblems, etc?

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/88%20Nova%20Twin%20Cam/88NovaTwinCam017.jpg.html][/URL]

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/12/19 12:46 p.m.

Hmm.  Comment about the big truck got me thinking.  I rarely drive my truck (1985 Chevy C30 Dooley) anywhere that I'm "parking" in a normal lot, but it does happen.  In those cases, depending on my mood, I'll either park it centered in a space away from everyone, where the DRW's will fill the space literally from stripe to stripe, or I'll park centered over a line, leaving a reasonable amount of space on either side.

With that vehicle, it's more efficient to park it dead-centered on a line, since that only takes up two spaces.  If I park it centered in a space, with the mirrors jutting out into the adjacent two spaces, I've essentially taken up three spaces instead of two. 

#makeparkingspacesbigger

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 12:58 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I have seen similar take up six spaces.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/12/19 1:05 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

It bothers you because you have a sense of fair play. You wouldn't do it. 

I always likened it to I have more respect for my ability to drive, my car, and other people using the same lot to do the things they need to do. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/12/19 1:52 p.m.

Yeah, it would bother me; but is this the hill you want to die on?

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
7/12/19 1:58 p.m.
914Driver said:

Yeah, it would bother me; but is this the hill you want to die on?

Exactly

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/12/19 2:01 p.m.
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VgEshyIHoZY29ZlUcNUdABz0CJcIPTH0H7lPjHfRtClYhzrHoL1kUGBSRjDXPDGS