1 2 3 4
cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/12/19 2:29 p.m.

It absolutely would and does bug me.

Someone at my office does that with their 10 yr old SUV. Why, dude?   If our lot was more crowded, I'd just give Security a ringy-ding and have them deal with the perp.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/12/19 2:34 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

This is usually a zoning issue.  The zoning requires that a building of so many square feet requires X number of parking spaces.  To make it happen they then decrease the size of each space.  

We ran into this headon at one place where I worked.  The lines were so narrow we just ignored them.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/12/19 2:49 p.m.
Knurled. said:
John Welsh said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

This is usually a zoning issue.  The zoning requires that a building of so many square feet requires X number of parking spaces.  To make it happen they then decrease the size of each space.  

We ran into this headon at one place where I worked.  The lines were so narrow we just ignored them.

Meanwhile there is a grocery store here in town where the parking spaces are roughly 2.25 Miatas wide. If you can't keep your garbage inside the lines there you need to give up. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
7/12/19 5:00 p.m.

Can't say I can think of a time where this has ever bothered me. Blocking cars in is one thing, but this is the opposite. Leaving twice as much space as necessary. Any time I've parked in a full lot I either paid for the spot, or counted my blessings to get in for free. The times when I've been in a full lot where people parked incorrectly/illegally those people were the first to get towed.

At my work place the parking lot is about 8 slots short of fitting the company and employee vehicles, meaning several employees park in another lot. That seems like a bigger problem to me, except that I don't care because in the other lot my car is much less likely to be hit by one of the many trucks that come through the company lot.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/12/19 5:08 p.m.

What did I learn in this thread today? 

 

Who is on BP medication. devil

codrus
codrus UberDork
7/12/19 5:19 p.m.

IMHO, parking across the lines in the green zone is fine.  Doing it in the red zone is not.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/12/19 5:42 p.m.

I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it.  The person parks like that pretty often, so I assume works at one of the stores.  I mean I get wanting to have a little extra protection for an exotic,  but a Camry?  Personally, if I don’t feel comfortable parking one of my nice cars somewhere I’ll just drive something else as opposed to taking two spaces.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/12/19 6:43 p.m.
codrus said:

IMHO, parking across the lines in the green zone is fine.  Doing it in the red zone is not.

No, there is parking across the lines in the green zone.  There is no parking across the lines in the red zone.

 

(need to watch Airplane! again)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/12/19 6:44 p.m.
Cotton said:

I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it.  The person parks like that pretty often, so I assume works at one of the stores.  I mean I get wanting to have a little extra protection for an exotic,  but a Camry?  Personally, if I don’t feel comfortable parking one of my nice cars somewhere I’ll just drive something else as opposed to taking two spaces.

That IS kind of a d move, since those spots are really wide.  You could pull in right next the curb and have like 1/3rd of an entire spot as a buffer.

 

As far as "but a Camry?" is concerned, you could say that about anything.  "Why is he so concerned about door dings on his Corvette?  It's just a Chevy."   Every car is someone else's disposable POS and it is also someone else's priceless valuable.  Can't judge.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
7/12/19 6:51 p.m.

 

 

codrus
codrus UberDork
7/12/19 6:58 p.m.
Knurled. said:
codrus said:

IMHO, parking across the lines in the green zone is fine.  Doing it in the red zone is not.

No, there is parking across the lines in the green zone.  There is no parking across the lines in the red zone.

 

(need to watch Airplane! again)

 

"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

They'd get in so much trouble if they made that movie these days. 

 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/12/19 7:09 p.m.

I’ll bet it really annoys some people here when a guy uses the urinal directly next to you when there was a perfectly good one 2 stalls away. 

Doesn’t  he understand the social norms? You’re NEVER supposed to violate a guy’s pee space unless there are absolutely no other viable options!!! cheeky

 

Let it go. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/12/19 7:11 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Cotton said:

I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it.  The person parks like that pretty often, so I assume works at one of the stores.  I mean I get wanting to have a little extra protection for an exotic,  but a Camry?  Personally, if I don’t feel comfortable parking one of my nice cars somewhere I’ll just drive something else as opposed to taking two spaces.

That IS kind of a d move, since those spots are really wide.  You could pull in right next the curb and have like 1/3rd of an entire spot as a buffer.

 

As far as "but a Camry?" is concerned, you could say that about anything.  "Why is he so concerned about door dings on his Corvette?  It's just a Chevy."   Every car is someone else's disposable POS and it is also someone else's priceless valuable.  Can't judge.

Knurled and I agree for once.

I typed out a long response and deleted it because it's not worth it. But suffice to say, a new, base model $25k Camry to the average person probably means a lot more to them, than a BMW to me that I kick to the curb because I don't want to pay to fix it. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/12/19 7:43 p.m.

Where I work if you don't get there by like 0715 then you'll have to park 3/4 mile away and walk and those parks will be taken by 8. Some ppl worry about the smallest things. 

 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/12/19 7:56 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

That's fantastic!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/12/19 8:04 p.m.
z31maniac said:I typed out a long response and deleted it because it's not worth it. But suffice to say, a new, base model $25k Camry to the average person probably means a lot more to them, than a BMW to me that I kick to the curb because I don't want to pay to fix it. 

This was one of the reasons why I got fed up with where I had been working: some of the new hires figured everything was some POS so who cares.  One guy was resting wheels against the fender of some beat-up car and I took him to task for it and he said, who cares, it's just some piece of E36 M3.

 

Look, rich shiny happy person, I'd have DREAMED of owning a Civic in three different colors with only one fender falling off.  It's great that you've lived a life of luxury and plenty, but a person who is driving a beat up clunker isn't doing it because they want to, it's because they have to.  And maybe they just moved UP to that.  Saved every spare penny for two years to scratch their way up to that.

 

New Camry?  That's what rich people drive, man.

 

 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/12/19 9:49 p.m.
SVreX said:

I’ll bet it really annoys some people here when a guy uses the urinal directly next to you when there was a perfectly good one 2 stalls away. 

Doesn’t  he understand the social norms? You’re NEVER supposed to violate a guy’s pee space unless there are absolutely no other viable options!!! cheeky

 

Let it go. 

When there are 3 urinals why oh why don’t they put the small person one in the middle?

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/12/19 11:26 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I work in  a bldg that was built in the early 1960's and if there's no better evidence that we've grown taller as a species, it's in the corporate bathrooms  

I take it to the stalls, regardless.   I put the 'rest' in 'restrooms' 

We also have telephone booths in the hallways. I suppose there used to be phones in there, but they're just past relics of how tiny we used to be. And how expensive asbestos remediation is. I guarantee half the workforce couldn't fit inside. 

Rons
Rons Reader
7/13/19 10:01 a.m.

I perceive those parking jobs as being the product of either self important door knobs whom should be monitored closely, as they present a clear danger to civil society. An alternative view is they are so incapable as a driver they present a danger to civil society.

 A he parking jobs that really rankle me is the F350 long box crewcab parked pickup parked in a small car spot, and now the truck is well out in the traffic lane.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/13/19 9:32 p.m.
Cotton said:

I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it.  The person parks like that pretty often, so I assume works at one of the stores.  I mean I get wanting to have a little extra protection for an exotic,  but a Camry?  Personally, if I don’t feel comfortable parking one of my nice cars somewhere I’ll just drive something else as opposed to taking two spaces.

I feel like I would be more worried someone would key my car than give me a door ding at that point. If I’m worried about a parking lot I park in the way back, in one space. Plus, unless you have something prohibiting you from walking, everyone of us could use the exercise.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/14/19 12:27 a.m.
SVreX said:

I’ll bet it really annoys some people here when a guy uses the urinal directly next to you when there was a perfectly good one 2 stalls away. 

Doesn’t  he understand the social norms? You’re NEVER supposed to violate a guy’s pee space unless there are absolutely no other viable options!!! cheeky

 

Let it go. 

Just like parking spaces, when that happens, I try to make things weird as berk. Maybe teach them a thing. "Let it go" to the guy next to me at the urinal is usually how I start.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/14/19 6:19 a.m.

It would bug the E36 M3 out of me, but that’s probably a “me” problem. I chuckle at the idea of the chalk-outline “shiny happy person parking,” but really, who cares?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/14/19 6:37 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Kind of exactly.  It's annoying, maybe, but not to the point where it's worth doing anything about.

 

OTOH some people just like to fark with you.  I usually park out in the middle of nowhere.  I've come out to an otherwise wmpty parking lot with someone parked right up next to me.  One time with a big glob of chewing gum on my hood.  It's like some people get incensed that anyone would care enough about their car to walk 100 yards to the building.

 

It can be kind of fun parking out in the middle of nowhere, too.  I came out of the movie theater one time and in the parking space across from mine was an RS4.  Or that time going to Micro Center where there was an RS3 (the want is strong), a CTS-V, and a new STi on Sparco wheels...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/14/19 6:41 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I should be clear that I have NO INTENTION of doing anything about it, I am just trying to figure out why it bothers me. I think the answer has been mentioned: she is parking far from the building and there are plenty of open spaces, so why does she ALSO have to take up two spaces? It's violating a social norm for no good reason. I will continue to notice and then immediately ignore it. 

It bothers you because you’re not a totally self-absorbed prick, and therefore expect just the tiniest bit of common berkeleying courtesy from others. My wife tells me this is “expecting too much from people.” She’s probably right, as I’m just constantly setting them up for failure when they don’t give a E36 M3 about anything but “doing their favorite thing.”

Instead of having a berkeleying aneurism in traffic, I just quote this Louis CK bit and chuckle. It helps.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/14/19 8:16 a.m.
John Welsh said:

That CRV looks pretty new.  If she rents or lives in an apt then this is the most expensive thing she owns.  

Not an excuse, just a reason.  

The correct move would be to park farther out  and walk in but maybe she has walking issues.  

The safest spot is a space like this picture and then super-hug the curb so at to intentionally keep you as far away from the other space.

that is how I generally park.

 

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
70KNGtHJHkiaZKBZ5OqAQEfiRk4rEw31MFRwh4seikTgfePnchtPPwWMwEPpjITl