P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/08 10:41 p.m.

I attended an SCCA Novice Autocross School last weekend and took a bunch of pictures. I really want to write an article about it for our SCCA Region's paper (they don't have many articles) and maybe (just maybe) get it published and get my start into some freelance automotive journalism work.

Any and all ideas/advice are appreciated. I really want to do a good job and maybe get my feet wet. You know, see what it's like and if I'm any good at it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/08 11:32 p.m.

Some advice:

Start with a query letter.

Follow the publication's usual tone and format.

Don't get too wordy.

Spelling counts.

Have fun.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/10/08 5:12 a.m.

And...don't expect to get paid much. If you want to do it for fun and the occasional small check, it can be fun. If you want it to be a career...be prepared for a real struggle. I dabbled in it for awhile, even sold a story to one of the 'big name' magazines and cashed a pretty fat check once. It's become even more difficult since the days I did it some 10 years ago. Not to discourage you, just don't want you to think it's an easy path to a career.

There is something very cool about seeing your words in print though.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/08 7:18 a.m.

Even if you don't get paid.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/10/08 7:27 a.m.

I wrote a recap of an SVO meet at Road America in '92 complete with pictures that was reduced to a blurb in Mustang Illustrated. I wanted to work for C&D, then for Automobile. Things changed.

I agree, it's uber cool to see your words and name in print.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/08 8:07 a.m.

Thanks for the advice! I don't expect to get paid for a long while, but I'd like to start building some sort of portfolio.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
7/10/08 9:24 a.m.

I would suggest to start writing articles for the regional newsletter like you mentioned and maybe a couple of other club newsletters. This will let you build your style of writing and get practice in putting your thoughts on paper. Keep you stories relatively short and light. If you can keep readers attention and get them to laugh every once in a while then they will look forward to your articals each month.

I used to write articles for my local Z club newsletter, mainly about my own misadventures. Even though the newsletter editor didn't like my style (I always write in the third person) the members kept asking for more. Find someone to proof read them before submitting them. If you can make friends with professional writers (like one that write for a car magazine) you might be able to get one to critique your work and offer suggestions. I once got BS Levy (long before CM ever existed) to critique one of my stories. It was very enlightening and I learned a lot.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/08 11:49 a.m.

as reminded me, "everybody likes a happy ending."

DebraServais
DebraServais New Reader
3/10/19 11:29 a.m.

Whether I want to spam or not, I have to do it. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 11:44 a.m.

Canoe

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/10/19 11:50 a.m.

Zombie canoe!

speedyracer
speedyracer New Reader
3/20/19 8:57 p.m.

hire a copywriter if you need a good article to pass controll, but you can start training now in upwork taking tasks and slowly polish your skills on different topix

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/19 11:26 p.m.

Hilarious zombie thread!

I did submit that article, and eventually ended up writing dozens for the SCCA Regional newsletter and then the PCA Regional. I should probably try writing again, but videos are too much fun!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/19 6:21 a.m.

But one tidbit I can add from journalism school is to organize your story with decreasing importance so that if it needs to be shortened for length, the editor can lop off parts of the end with less concern about deleting some important fact you wanted to convey.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YZphcl7ZTVpDJzHNc75mhhseX2UOyVgO59sVuo8UtnLAsj780Dxm3LmUqvQUTNw