1 2
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/18 10:24 a.m.

TLDR: New, long commute. Current car reliable and cheap, but not comfy. Make current car comfy (how?), replace current car with sport+lux car, or add nonsport lux car that maybe plugs in?

I just took a job that makes my commute an hour each way. It's a huge raise. I've pulled a full week of work now, and I'm pretty positive about the change, but I'm wanting to improve my commute situation.

My car is a 2013 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT without nav. I bought it in late 2014 as a CPO with 16k on the clock. It was the cheapest 2013 in the country. I wanted the 2013 because it had the better battery and more power. Today, it has required almost no maintenance, and no mechanical failures. It's been in the body shop for right side damage from a jackleg doing donuts in a gravel parking lot. I put tires on it, and changed the oil a couple times. It has just under 45k on it. My week involved two fillups at $20 each.

I'd drive it anywhere. I feel like I could afford anything that could possibly go wrong. I feel like it's unlikely anything would go wrong.

Well, there is an intermittent odd noise at clutch take up when cold, but the dealer couldn't reproduce that, so uh, who knows?

Flip side is, since I'm spending nearly ten hours a week here, is that it's not a perfect place to be. Its noisy, has weak aircon, little power, and has a rough ride. In spite of being a hybrid, tech is pretty limited, with a voice command system I'd best describe as deliberately officious and obtuse. I have an aux jack, iPod control, and that's about it. Bluetooth calling is there, but it's too noisy to actually place a call. Being stick, my wife cannot drive it. I don't mind in the least that it's stick.

It's going to a Honda dealer next week for an oil change (they're next door to my new job, and I have a coupon) and rotate, and I'll ask them to check out the aircon. 

So, WWGRMD? I have a reliable, cheap to operate car that I trust. It's not dear to me - I like having a car that is small and light and can turn, but this car isn't something I feel I need to preserve. I want to maintain it and use it. I would be fine running up the odometer on this car. Should I just spend the weekend putting dynamat, a smarter head unit, and one of those wooden bead seat covers in the car?

Should I add a second car? A boring but cheap and comfy car to the fleet for commuting work? Content, value and NVH over driving dynamics. I had a late rental Impala Premium a month ago, and dang, that was a lovely place to spend time. Or maybe a Mercedes for those massaging seats. Nothing too crazy, just some sedan, wagon or crossover with an I4 or V6 and low NVH. Running costs will be higher, but not high. My wife could drive it. 

Addendum to the above, go plug-in. My wife loved our Volt in a way I've never seen her care about any car. I just can't go 100% electric right now. We're prepping the house for sale, and adding the stout home 220v EVSE my commute would require to support the charging time would not make sense. The likely month or two of life in a rental property also excludes the EVSE. I could get another Volt, used, first generation 2013+, or maybe an ELR. At-work charging will not happen. I really like the i3, but the miles are just wrong enough to make the i3 rex fail without a supporting EVSE, since I'd probably have to gas it up at least once a day, maybe twice.

Or, replace the CR-Z with just one something that might have more luxury and performance together. Older, like a 996 or 997, or maybe a Cayman, or even newer like an M235i, C/GLA45 AMG? My wife likes all of these, though the Porsches would all have to be manuals, which she cannot drive.

I'd love to just get a CL65 AMG, and think adding that would be the perfect solution, but I don't want to give my entire raise to the AMG parts desk, leaving me to pay my astronomical fuel bills out of the money I was making when I was working a mile from home.

I've got these options since they're in my head, and they're fun, but really, I think I want to make the CR-Z more comfy, and play a long game for something really special (I want to own an exotic or even near-exotic car at some point in my life) + a cheap to run crossover commuter in a few years. So, maybe an Exige or even an R8 in the garage and a Patriot FDII CVT on the street. I figure the CR-Z, well maintained, is good for 200k fairly easy.

What would you do? What did you do when you had to spend too much time in a daily that is too fun?

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
6/16/18 10:48 a.m.

I have a soft spot for Impalas, so I would never discourage someone from getting one, but I think you're on to something with the Dynamat & head unit idea.  It works with both the "devil you know" and the "bang for the buck in an uncertain economy" approaches to the problem.  (The wooden-bead seat thing would drive me nuts, personally, so I'd be looking for physical seat upgrades if it were me belted in for two hours a day.  In fact Santa might be seeing the word "Recaro" on my Christmas list.) 

This assumes that your AC can be made to work properly.  When a one-hour commute turns into a 2.5-hour commute because Reasons and you stagger into the Big Client Meeting looking like you just escaped from the rainforest, nobody has a good day.

Mike
6/16/18 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

I have to admit, the powered screen lift caught me off guard in the Impala. I was all, "what does this button do?" when the panel lifted to show a hidden compartment. It was super quiet, not at all floaty, and actually had on-center feel. I wouldn't want to drive it in anger, but I found myself wishing I could just drive it a hundred miles to see what it was like.

And my CR-Z AC is weak in a way that could be "not quite right" or "works right, just sucks." It'll freeze you out once it gets going, but it takes twenty minutes to get ahead of sitting out on a 100°F day, or even a 90°F day. It's automatic, so I expect it'll run full blast when it's 30° warmer than the set temp, but no, it won't go all the way on unless I set LO.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/18 11:49 a.m.

What's your commute like? Highway, back roads, traffic?

My commute is around an hour each way, but it's all two lane roads with relatively light traffic, and I can hit some really fun twisties and add just a few minutes to my commute. As such, I am really enjoying my FR-S as a daily, the fun factor makes a long drive home after a hard day at the office much more tolerable. But if I were doing that in stop and go traffic or at 75 on the freeway I definitely would have chosen somehing cushier, with taller gearing and better sound deadening. 

How about an LS400? Cheap, reliable as gravity, and cushy, with V8 power. Keep the Honda, or swap it for somehing less practical but even more fun.

Mike
6/16/18 11:59 a.m.

That's a good question.

It's all five and six lane straight shots, all with speed limits between 50 and 70. I spend most of my time on almost perfectly straight interstate. I have little practical dynamic advantage over a city bus in these environs. Similar road noise.

EDIT: It looks like the LS430 is far more plentiful than the 400 around here, and they're priced pretty similarly. Still good?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/18 1:23 p.m.

If you go for improvements to the existing, I have this recommendation... 

Years ago I read as someone wanted improve the noise in their Saturn Vue SUV. Lots of hard plastic  interior with no insulation. 

Their product of choice was from Lowes in the insulation Dept. A bubble wrap product made out of foil rather than plastic. I considered the same as it was generally cheap and reported to be effective. Add bonus, the insulation value might help improve your ac. 

Sample

I still had the Saturn Vue version bookmarked

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
6/16/18 1:53 p.m.

This sounds like a job for whichever Acura fits your needs best. 

Mike
6/16/18 2:16 p.m.
thestig99 said:

This sounds like a job for whichever Acura fits your needs best. 

I confess to looking at ZDX listings...

Mike
6/16/18 2:21 p.m.
John Welsh said:

If you go for improvements to the existing, I have this recommendation... 

Years ago I read as someone wanted improve the noise in their Saturn Vue SUV. Lots of hard plastic  interior with no insulation. 

Their product of choice was from Lowes in the insulation Dept. A bubble wrap product made out of foil rather than plastic. I considered the same as it was generally cheap and reported to be effective. Add bonus, the insulation value might help improve your ac. 

Sample

I still had the Saturn Vue version bookmarked

That is awesome. Seriously awesome.

I am nearly certain to do at least some of this. Whatever I do needs to happen within weather constraints, breaking nothing, and not interfering with my car being ready for work Monday morning. I might pick up a small pack and attack the rear of the car. It looks like it's both cheap and light compared with Dynamat. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/16/18 2:24 p.m.

With a long commute like that my vote would be to add an affordable second vehicle into the mix. That way if any one car is down for repairs at any given time you have a backup, and you can switch between them for variety in your week if all are operational.

BTW I bought a big roll of that stuff off amazon. At the time if was far cheaper than the local stores. Linky. I haven't priced it recently but it's worth checking out. I used it to make blackout panels for the 4Runner for camping, but it looks to be ideal for sound damping.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/16/18 2:55 p.m.

Might consider the Fusion Hybrid, or the Plug In version, the Energi. They don't have as much electric range as a Volt but your commute isn't ideal for a PHEV. Both are larger and more comfortable places to be than the Volt, which is better for car pooling or taking clients out if you do those things. 42+ mpg from a stylish, comfy, mid-size sedan is no joke. They also look like any other Fusion, rather than standing out as something obviously different like a Volt, Prius, or i3 does. That's a plus for me, but you may feel differently.

I just bought a clean 2016 Fusion Energi with 23,000 miles for $16k. It was about $38k new two years ago, which is a lot of car for what they sometimes sell for used. Similar deals can be found on The non-plug in Fusion Hybrid models if you want to skip the PHEV.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/16/18 3:34 p.m.

I sold my winter beater 2003 WRX for the exact same reason.  It was a fine car, fun to drive, but sucked to spend time in.  OEM WRX seats were OK but were not heated, it was small, tinny, bad factory stereo, got bad mileage for the size of the car on premium, etc.  I want something comfy, lux, heated leather, sun roof, nice stereo, quiet.  

Gas mileage be damned I am getting a lux sedan or SUV come fall.  Land cruiser, 4 Runner or Lexus Variant, maybe a new Explorer, Acura TL or MDX, something like that.  I had a new 4 Runner as a rental this winter and it was tip top.  Too bad the buy in is pretty heavy.  

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
6/16/18 3:40 p.m.

I commuted like this for 21 years and never would have thought of the Impala but it sounds like a great idea.

Rent one for a few days or a week if you can get a deal and see how it is on your commute. A purchased car will likely be nicer than a rental that has been abused and not taken care of, even for a short period (my experience).

Mike
6/16/18 3:46 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

With a long commute like that my vote would be to add an affordable second vehicle into the mix. That way if any one car is down for repairs at any given time you have a backup, and you can switch between them for variety in your week if all are operational.

BTW I bought a big roll of that stuff off amazon. At the time if was far cheaper than the local stores. Linky. I haven't priced it recently but it's worth checking out. I used it to make blackout panels for the 4Runner for camping, but it looks to be ideal for sound damping.

That's not a bad idea, looking at it as a cheap spare.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/18 3:48 p.m.
Mike said:

That's a good question.

It's all five and six lane straight shots, all with speed limits between 50 and 70. I spend most of my time on almost perfectly straight interstate. I have little practical dynamic advantage over a city bus in these environs. Similar road noise.

EDIT: It looks like the LS430 is far more plentiful than the 400 around here, and they're priced pretty similarly. Still good?

As far as I know they're solid, but there are people on here much more knowledgeable than I. Wasn't there just a GS430 thread a week or two ago? That would be another one to look at, and I'd imagine much of the powertrain is shared with the LS430.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/16/18 4:39 p.m.

DD#1 bought a 2013 C-Max SEL a few months ago. It is quiet, smooth, responsive, roomy, and nicely appointed. She gets 45 mpg like clockwork in mixed driving. She has something like a 525-550 mile range. Hers is hybrid only, non plug in  

If you got the Energi version you could plug in when available but you would not be dependent on it. Being able to plug in would push your mpg even higher. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/18 6:07 p.m.

What about a CT200h, yes its a prius but its a more comfortable prius and will get 42-43mpg average.

Mike
6/16/18 6:55 p.m.

I feel like an idiot. This is the first time I've really thought to confront the air conditioning problem.

I just replaced my cabin air filter. It was really gross. I think I've improved the situation.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
6/16/18 7:13 p.m.

That bubble insulation is what we wrap ductwork in. Good stuff.

You can probably get a lot of it at an hvac supply house for cheaper than lowes or HD.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/16/18 8:28 p.m.

Well sir, we sound a lot alike.  Except you already hit on the answer, you just dont know it yet ;)

I drive about an hour and 20 minutes to and from work every day.  For the past few years I did it in a $500 Crown Vic that got the job done, but dangit, yes, you spend that much time in a car and really you should have something you like.   And it was a week in a rental Impala that made me say...hey...I could really enjoy a commuter car that doesnt suck 

Now you are leaps and bounds ahead of me because you are thinking plug in, you had a Volt and liked it and you know what an ELR is.   I had none of this going for me.  I was hunting Caddy CTS coupes and ATS coupes and one day just searched for caddy coupes and found the ELR.   Here is a Volt based plug in, that Caddy threw ALL the toys into, its comfortable, fun to drive and IMO beautiful.  It was a $90k car new and now you can pick them up under $30k.   I went from filling the tank 2-3 times a week in the crown vic to putting 7 gallons a week into the ELR.   Granted I have the benefit of a charging station at work so I get to charge on both ends but still, gets good milage even on the ICE.

So basically what Im sayin is if you liked the Volt you'll LOVE the ELR and if you can swing it then it will make you a very happy commuter.  Hell some days I even look forward to driving to work, and over 6 months since purchase and I still cant help but turn around and give it a look every time I walk away.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
6/16/18 8:50 p.m.

That is a really good looking car

Mike
6/16/18 8:59 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

I circle back to those every so often. I had the Volt when these were announced. I was watching all of the press releases and subscribed to the newsletter. My position was that I loved the $40k Volt, but wanted a little more comfort, so the $50k ELR would be awesome. 

It was not a $50k ELR.

I swear, I would have been an ELR driver if GM hadn't lost their mind and thought they could stick a Cruze in very nice Caddy clothes into Tesla and Panamera territory. 

How are the regen paddles? That seemed like the most logical idea in the world. 

I really do like this idea.

I'm going to keep trying to correct my issues with the current car, but this is a great idea if I can't get it where I can be happy.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/16/18 9:11 p.m.

To be honest the regen paddles are a bit gimmicky, especially since the brake pedal does the same thing.   More importantly the brake pedal activates your brake lights, the regen paddles dont and something about rapid slowing without brake lights seems bad.   They are good out on the highway as they dont bring you to slow too quick when you are at highway speeds, but at low speeds its as abrupt as hitting the brake pedal.

For commuting the blind spot warnings, forward collision warning/avoidance and adaptive cruise are pretty nice.   I've been used to mostly analog cars up till now but the adaptive cruise makes me very happy.

I searched awhile to find one with the adaptive cruise and kona interior (and the crystal red was my first choice, so about 24 or so made in that combination)   The base seats are good but the Kona seats are a worthwhile upgrade.  Wasnt sure on the brown only color of them at first but its grown on me.

If I could change anything I'd update the CUE system (infotainment) to the latest versions.  My car is a '14 so no Apple car play yet.  You can get the upgraded bits for about $800 but installation requires disassembly of most of the dash, something Im not quite ready to do.  If you can find a unicorn '16 it will have the update already (and the updated grille as seen on my car, I did do that update)   

The ELR was just a terrible marketing fail by GM.  It is an amazing car, but not one that should have been positioned to compete with Tesla at the time and one that was pretty much kept a secret (they ran ONE ad, ONE time for it) 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/18/18 9:49 a.m.

Current Gen Mazda 6, large comfy, VERY well equipped if you spring for a Grand Touring model, and will knock down 40+ on the highway all day, everyday.

slowride
slowride Dork
6/18/18 1:27 p.m.

I've been in this situation a few times. I almost always regret whatever choice I make. I've learned to just deal with my choices and ride it out, rather than chasing something that probably doesn't exist. (ex: traded in a minitruck that was stick because I was getting leg cramps from clutching in traffic, but hated the car I got because it was too small and loud, traded that in on a bigger car but hated that because it was too big and boring...). I've pretty much decided that I just hate driving in traffic/commuting regardless of what car I'm in.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HREp0ZVe4BvFOnPEqGyZTwgeZDPe5h5i9JECIAFzZS6NhVzldgRoT9hA6QnZv4yF