Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/15/18 1:04 p.m.

I finally fired mine up yesterday for the first time in about a year probably, played a little Forza 6.  I would probably play more often if I had a decent wheel controller, and haven't looked around in a long time.

What are the options these days?  I'm willing to spend a little $ for a good one.  Especially since I have Dirt Rally and WRC 5Ithink and can't drive a straight line with the normal controller.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/18 1:54 p.m.

I bought Lil Stampie the Thrustmaster TMX Pro for Christmas. He likes it enough to lug it back and forth between houses. We thought spending a little extra for the clutch was worth it but in hindsight he doesn't use that feature. It was $250 at GameStop. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/18 2:00 p.m.

The clutch pedal's a lot more useful with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-TH8A-Add-Gearbox-Shifter-Xbox/dp/B005L0Z2BQ

Some sims make good use of the clutch. I use it to smooth out sequential shifts in corners with a TT Gumpert Apollo in NFS:S2U. Assetto Corsa even simulates gear grinds.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/16/18 7:02 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

So maybe two of these:

And then Star Wars Battlefront:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/18 11:09 a.m.

Sounds like you're looking for a Steel Battalion controller:

The setup goes for well over $500 these days though.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/18 11:31 a.m.

I had a logitech g27? for my ps3 back when I built a simulator for myself (I ended up selling it because I never really used it).

See the source image

The clutch pedal was cool and gran turismo would miss your shift and just go to neutral if you did it incorrectly, but you couldn't stall the car with a bad launch or anything. Also, we also had a house rule for "drive the realistic transmission" so if the car came with a stick, you used it. But you never drive pedestrian cars in games like that, so we basically always used the paddle shifters when we did play.

I will say the wheel and pedals were quite nice.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/18 11:43 a.m.

Following with interest.  I have P:CARS that I have never really played because my 10-or-more-year-old Driving Force Pro doesn't work with the PS4.

I could buy a Cronus Drive Hub, but at $90 I should probably just buy a more modern wheel.  What are the affordable faves?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/16/18 11:55 a.m.

I use a G27 with the Drive Hub on PS4, and you are correct, once you add up all you need to emulate, you are almost at a new wheel (you need a free PS4 controller that cannot be used otherwise). I think the G29 is a pretty reasonable options, especially if you want, or may want the full clutch/shifter setup.  I am pretty sure the shifter from the G27 will work on the G29 (which can be had without the shifter).  It has the advantage over the emulated G27 (which emulates as a G29) in that the buttons are more functional / easier to use. 

ProjectCars 2 does a good job with the clutch (even the latest version of GT6 was pretty good) and it makes driving some of the funky old cars they have in there much more imersive.  I don't think I have tried the clutch in GTS.  Heck most all the cars are flappy paddle cars anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xnDAZQz7uJ7oNENLFjklEjMkKWRPottbirS4JgAOiIJ1K2wCfZhVBVbAqNasWI93