1 2 3 4
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/21/17 9:49 p.m.

...came back today on SiriusXM.

God help me I'm not proud of it, but I can't stop myself from listening.

IT'S SOOOO SMOOOOOTH

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/21/17 10:04 p.m.

Have you seen the Yacht Rock spoof video series on Youtube?
Yacht Rock Episode 1

JG Pasterjak
6/21/17 10:06 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Have you seen the Yacht Rock spoof video series on Youtube? Yacht Rock Episode 1

Oh yeah. Gabe and I discovered that when it came out. The phrase "California vagina sailors" was forever incorporated into our lexicon.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/17 11:50 p.m.

It's on the XM app all year so it's always smooth sailing in the Wally house but the start of summer and Yacht Rock's return to the Buick is a special day.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/22/17 2:51 a.m.

"Don't you DARE lose the smooth!"

Haha

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/22/17 6:00 a.m.

I will be in the garage flushing my ears with carb cleaner after listening to that...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/22/17 6:04 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: ...came back today on SiriusXM. God help me I'm not proud of it, but I can't stop myself from listening. IT'S SOOOO SMOOOOOTH

I'd be lying if I said I never flipped to it. My commute home is 1hr 30min, give or take, and I'm a notorious "flipper" on the radio...I give the controls on my steering wheel a workout. I heard promos for it coming back. I get amusement out of the sarcastic promos between songs just as much as I do the music. Definitely can't listen to it for my entire ride, but a few minutes here or there is good.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/22/17 6:08 a.m.

Slacker Radio has a yacht rock station as well.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/22/17 6:21 a.m.

Brush with greatness...

In one of the Yacht Rock videos two dudes are standing in a park and there are actual sailboats in the background of one scene. It just so happens that those boats are at The Santa Monica Windjammer Yacht Club. The exact spot shown is where a friend docked her boat around 2009 though the boat is not there the year of the video. As a 35 ft sailboat, I guess we could call it a yacht.

As a sailboat racer, I despise that damn Christopher Cross song. I also don't like Pina Coladas, getting caught in the rain...ha.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/17 6:44 a.m.

Smoother than Bottom Paint.

mapper
mapper HalfDork
6/22/17 7:49 a.m.

That and The Bridge are in my favorites. Also Ozzy's Boneyard and 1st Wave. Maybe you can tell that I grew up in the 70's and 80's?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/22/17 8:08 a.m.

What is the yacht rock? Never heard the term. No XM for me.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/22/17 8:10 a.m.

I just attempted to set sail for my workday, but ran aground before leaving the harbor. I noticed that SXM added an "Emo Project" channel. My angsty youth memories sucked me into that whirlpool.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/22/17 8:11 a.m.
T.J. wrote: What is the yacht rock? Never heard the term. No XM for me.

Nearest I can tell it's Michael McDonald and anyone that sounds like him. Also known as the polar opposite of my spotify.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/22/17 8:25 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
Nearest I can tell it's Michael McDonald and anyone that sounds like him. Also known as the polar opposite of my spotify.

No XM here either. Ill stick to my 70's easy listening Pandora station. Seals and Croft, James Taylor,Jim Croche,and the like.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/22/17 8:39 a.m.

Think along these lines:

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
6/22/17 8:48 a.m.

There was a Simpson episode were they were at a record store and Marge is looking at this kind of stuff

Lisa: What type of music is that?

Bart: Crap rock

Marge: No

Homer: Wuss rock

Marge: Yeah, thats it.

JG Pasterjak
6/22/17 8:52 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: There was a Simpson episode were they were at a record store and Marge is looking at this kind of stuff Lisa: What type of music is that? Bart: Crap rock Marge: No Homer: Wuss rock Marge: Yeah, thats it.

Also notable in that the lyrics for the entire genre fit the legal definition of date rape.

mapper
mapper HalfDork
6/22/17 9:11 a.m.
Brian wrote:
mndsm wrote:
No XM here either. Ill stick to my 70's easy listening Pandora station. Seals and Croft, James Taylor,Jim Croche,and the like.

That would mostly be The Bridge on SXM.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/22/17 9:20 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Also notable in that the lyrics for the entire genre fit the legal definition of date rape.

Because of the implication.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/22/17 9:25 a.m.

Is anyone else disturbed by the piña colada song? They are both looking to cheat, but by some freak coincidence they meet because of a set of common interests they didn't know they had. That doesn't sound healthy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/22/17 9:25 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: ...came back today on SiriusXM. God help me I'm not proud of it, but I can't stop myself from listening. IT'S SOOOO SMOOOOOTH

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that. I heard the promo while on the way to the office yesterday. Yep, so smooth.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
6/22/17 9:35 a.m.
Brian wrote: Is anyone else disturbed by the piña colada song? They are both looking to cheat, but by some freak coincidence they meet because of a set of common interests they didn't know they had. That doesn't sound healthy.

I have gone on many a lengthy tirade about that. It is a E36 M3ty song with a E36 M3ty story and a E36 M3ty sentiment.

It is a universal truth that at some point in any given bands existence someone will think it is a great idea to cover that song "ironically"

I hate that berkeleying song so damn much

JG Pasterjak
6/22/17 9:56 a.m.
Brian wrote: Is anyone else disturbed by the piña colada song? They are both looking to cheat, but by some freak coincidence they meet because of a set of common interests they didn't know they had. That doesn't sound healthy.

That song is the lyrical equivalent of Batman ceasing his beating of Superman because he realized both their moms had the same name.

Couldn't tear myself away from either.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/22/17 9:56 a.m.

That's the way I look at it also. Oh, look, two worthless pieces of E36 M3.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uQoybYAYhDqijo4jblCBhmMjQoti8PPe6AzEsiI3DMAc95WURfh2vM2zdFoUU8Mp