1 2 3 4
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/17 10:06 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
Brian wrote: Is anyone else disturbed by the piña colada song? They are both looking to cheat, but by some freak coincidence they meet because of a set of common interests they didn't know they had. That doesn't sound healthy.
That's the way I look at it also. Oh, look, two worthless pieces of E36 M3.

Same ^^ still dig the song though.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/22/17 10:38 a.m.

I'm still convinced that Christopher Cross's entire career is based on his mega want for a BMW M1.

Here, read this.

I have seen this car up close and personal, and I don't fault the guy, because it's pretty damn sweet. He actually had two: this one and a dedicated race car. I'd write piles of albums of Malaise Era cheese too for one, wouldn't you?

Also, Ride Like The Wind is one of my "secret jams". The British Metal band Saxon did a 80's-tastic cover of it too!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FX6TUIKAFzw

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/22/17 10:50 a.m.

I've heard some refer to Steely Dan as "yacht rock". Doesn't affect the fact that I can listen to S.D. for hours and never tire of it.

volvoclearinghouse
6/22/17 10:54 a.m.
Brian wrote: Is anyone else disturbed by the piña colada song? They are both looking to cheat, but by some freak coincidence they meet because of a set of common interests they didn't know they had. That doesn't sound healthy.

The way it ought to go:

I was tired of my lady/ We'd been together too long/ so I kicked her out of bed/ and that's the end of this song.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/22/17 11:30 a.m.

Oh the canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see.

Believe me

Makes me want to play Moorhead turned up to eleven!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/22/17 11:59 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Also notable in that the lyrics for the entire genre fit the legal definition of date rape.

Yeah, there's an entire repertoire of what I call "begging for sex" songs that I refuse to listen to.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/22/17 12:04 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I've heard some refer to Steely Dan as "yacht rock". Doesn't affect the fact that I can listen to S.D. for hours and never tire of it.

Only Aja and later albums qualify. Which are pretty much all the ones I dislike, despite being a huge fan of the Dan albums before Aja.

volvoclearinghouse
6/22/17 12:24 p.m.

Aja...possibly one of S.D.'s best albumns. ;-) But I'm biased, it came out the year I was born.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/22/17 12:38 p.m.

This has GOT to be Yacht Rock.

You Toobes

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/22/17 12:48 p.m.

"Can't Buy a Thrill" is pure awesomeness!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/22/17 1:07 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Aja...possibly one of S.D.'s best albumns. ;-) But I'm biased, it came out the year I was born.

And I comprehensively disagree... though I was born about 7 years before Can't Buy A Thrill was released.

volvoclearinghouse
6/22/17 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Oh well. You know what they say: Opinions are like Miatas.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/22/17 1:37 p.m.

Love Aja!

Pete Gossett
6/22/17 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito:

That was amazing!

Pete Gossett
6/22/17 1:38 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I've heard some refer to Steely Dan as "yacht rock". Doesn't affect the fact that I can listen to S.D. for hours and never tire of it.

Same here. They're more "fusion with lyrics" or near-prog to me.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/22/17 2:03 p.m.

If you like SD, I recommend Donald Fagen's album KAMAKIRIAD. Pretty much the whole album is good. I used to always have it in my '90 Miata's 12 disk, trunk mounted CD changer. Actually it's still in there. It's good driving music.
Some sample tracks:
Trans Island Skyway

Florida Room

Tea House on the Tracks

The big hit of the album Tommorrow's Girl

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/22/17 3:07 p.m.

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with Aja! Back when I was getting drum lessons, the title track from that one was one of the songs my teacher was showing me, because of Steve Gadd's incredible work on that one.

That reminds me, I need to pick that record up next time I go vinyl hunting.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/22/17 3:49 p.m.

I know I'm in the minority, because Aja sold a bazillion copies. Maybe it's my deep and abiding hatred for Michael McDonald that drives it. But he did some work with The Dan before Aja, and I still like those albums.

volvoclearinghouse
6/22/17 5:25 p.m.

When my wife was pregnant with our son (second child) I asked her what she wanted in the birth rom with her while she was delivering. She half-jokingly replied, "Steely Dan playing".

I downloaded every SD albumn onto my laptop and broke it out (with a set of decent portable speakers) in the delivery room. She gave birth right during the lyrics "oh, Michael", which was fairly appropriate given my first name ;-).

I then uploaded the SD albiumns to her phone so she has Steely whenever she wants it. We often do "Steely Saturday" or Sunday mornings at our house, just The Dan and whatever I'm whipping up for weekend first meal.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/23/17 9:38 a.m.

Speaking of SXM, why do they do this stupid crap with their pricing. I got a "bill" in the mail yesterday, because the 6 month promotion period we had been on had ended. Of course, they wanted to charge me $102 for the next 5 months.

So I call them and say "You offer it in advertisements for $30 for 6 months"

They respond...in their best offshore-trying-to-sound-American voice... "But that's only for inactive radios. You would not qualify for that offer"

Me: "Look, I've been a customer for years. You and I both know that if I cancel my service, you'll call me within a few days to offer that promotion, so just save everyone time and do it now"

Them: "Sorry, we can't do that"

Me: "OK, cancel my service. "

Me...10 seconds after I hang up from the cancellation call "Hi, I'd like to re-activate my inactive radios"

Them: "Of course sir, we'd be happy to have you back. We can offer you $30 for 6 months"

Why, oh why do we have to go through this stupid dance each and every 6 months???

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/23/17 10:15 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Speaking of SXM, why do they do this stupid crap with their pricing. I got a "bill" in the mail yesterday, because the 6 month promotion period we had been on had ended. Of course, they wanted to charge me $102 for the next 5 months. So I call them and say "You offer it in advertisements for $30 for 6 months" They respond...in their best offshore-trying-to-sound-American voice... "But that's only for inactive radios. You would not qualify for that offer" Me: "Look, I've been a customer for years. You and I both know that if I cancel my service, you'll call me within a few days to offer that promotion, so just save everyone time and do it now" Them: "Sorry, we can't do that" Me: "OK, cancel my service. " Me...10 seconds after I hang up from the cancellation call "Hi, I'd like to re-activate my inactive radios" Them: "Of course sir, we'd be happy to have you back. We can offer you $30 for 6 months" Why, oh why do we have to go through this stupid dance each and every 6 months???

The secret is to call and cancel like a week before they charge you. I set a reminder in my Google Calendar so I don't forget. They will offer you the cheap deal to get you to stay.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 10:19 a.m.

Yup, I have a reminder on my phone to call them every 6 months. It's worth it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/23/17 10:56 a.m.

Great, now I'm youtoob-streaming that Fagen album.

But really, you can't discuss Yacht Rock without the one and only Bertie Higgins

OR better still, this song, the single release version of "White Line Fever"

EDIT: ....And this thread has now forced my to purchase an original vinyl copy of the Key Largo / White Line Fever single. Damn you Amazon.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/23/17 11:30 a.m.

Yeah, I do it every 6 months, but I need to set a reminder to do it BEFORE they try to send the bill.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
6/23/17 11:50 a.m.

Perhaps it's classified as Yacht Rock because its listened to by people aging between 45-65 who can afford yachts.

To me, yacht music is reggae. Anything near water is reggae. Anything anywhere chill is reggae.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qJjmPwNnUcPGIt48d3RLnIWAXkC67pbW9IhwgJXf8GevKE7077WsJgwZ4RjhnFfP