1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 12:00 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Yeah, I do it every 6 months, but I need to set a reminder to do it BEFORE they try to send the bill.

You can still do it after they send the bill. They'll pro-rate the refund when you cancel.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
6/23/17 12:36 p.m.

You can have the yachtiest yacht in the yacht club, and be yachting your way across the yacht sea on planet yacht, this music would still suck ass.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 4:14 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

The Wife loves that Key Largo song, I swear it comes on her iPod every fourth song.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/23/17 4:36 p.m.

I DJ'ed while in school, usually doing the midnight to 3 a.m. shift on Wednesday nights. We were a college radio station. In Athens, Georgia. And this was the late '80s and early '90s. We played your typical college radio stuff, never mind it wasn't uncommon to see the members of R.E.M. around town--or Bob Mould or whoever. It was college radio central.

One night, someone called me and requested that pina colada song. No, I didn't play it. I kinda doubt that we even had it in our library.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/23/17 4:39 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: You can have the yachtiest yacht in the yacht club, and be yachting your way across the yacht sea on planet yacht, this music would still suck ass.

I don't think anyone yet in this thread has attempted to make the argument that it's good. Just that we can't stop listening.

David S. Wallens
6/23/17 4:47 p.m.

Exactly. How can you not let this gem run all the way through?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DrzsHzFad3o

David S. Wallens
6/23/17 4:48 p.m.

Also, looking at the image above, holy cow that's a lot of people on stage. What do they think they are, a ska band?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/23/17 7:52 p.m.

This came on the radio tonight. Mrs. VCH and I sang it all the way through.

<a href=""https://www.youtube.com/embed/nfk6sCzRTbM" class="parsedYouTube" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/embed/nfk6sCzRTbMhttps://www.youtube.com/embed/nfk6sCzRTbM

I remarked how this was "high school dance" song for me. And she (being 9 years my junior) remarked on how old I am.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/23/17 8:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Also, looking at the image above, holy cow that's a lot of people on stage. What do they think they are, a ska band?

I'm convinced Slipknot is actually a ska band but at one of their early shows one of their amps started glitching and feeding back and distorting and they just rolled with it. I bet the spiky-headed one still has a trumpet is his backpack.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/23/17 9:38 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Also, looking at the image above, holy cow that's a lot of people on stage. What do they think they are, a ska band?
I'm convinced Slipknot is actually a ska band but at one of their early shows one of their amps started glitching and feeding back and distorting and they just rolled with it. I bet the spiky-headed one still has a trumpet is his backpack.

They are, but Corey Taylor couldn't skank hard enough.

Wall-e
6/24/17 7:45 a.m.
Tony Sestito wrote: I'm still convinced that Christopher Cross's entire career is based on his mega want for a BMW M1. Here, read this. I have seen this car up close and personal, and I don't fault the guy, because it's pretty damn sweet. He actually had two: this one and a dedicated race car. I'd write piles of albums of Malaise Era cheese too for one, wouldn't you? Also, Ride Like The Wind is one of my "secret jams". The British Metal band Saxon did a 80's-tastic cover of it too! https://www.youtube.com/embed/FX6TUIKAFzw

Ride like the Wind is a pretty awesome song but that certainly explains the song from Arthur.

With all the mention of creepy songs I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Benny Margolis hit Into The Night. I'm listening to it now much to the displeasure of everyone that comes into the office.

Wall-e
6/26/17 11:03 a.m.

I've been stuck in the office shuffling paper most of the week as the fill in house mouse. I usually have it playing at my desk for background noise as it's fairly inoffensive but I have one coworker that can't stand it.

On Saturdays he always comes in, tries to get into our timekeeping program, which is down on Saturday mornings every week for processing, then complains about having trouble logging in. At about 5:30 before he came in This Is It was on and I paused it just before the big "This Is It" gets belted out and waited. 8:00 rolls around and he tries to get in. He turns to me and says "I don't know what's going on, my Log In is giving me trouble". In my best cheesy announcer voice I said "Here's one Loggin that never has trouble" and hit play on my computer cranked up to 11. He got up and stormed out of the room without saying a word.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/17 12:35 p.m.

You guys are really making me consider starting a Yacht Rock cover band...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
6/26/17 12:39 p.m.

Sorry, no Aja for me. College roommate had it on his turntable along with Neil Diamond's Jazz Singer. This was one of those cheap automatic record players that you would stack records on and would drop the next one when the side of the first one was done. He would play one side of Aja and then Jazz Singer would drop down and one side of it would play. Then he'd lift Jazz Singer and start the same side of Aja again and the same side of Jazz Singer would drop down and play again. He did this over and over and over and over and over whenever he was in the room. I think maybe once during the semester he turned the two albums over and then played the other sides over and over and over.

He only lasted one semester as a roommate for obvious reasons, and still, many years later, my blood starts boiling whenever any song from either of these albums is played. I was watching a Big Bang Theory rerun a couple of days ago and when Amy and Howard started singing "America" I couldn't turn it off fast enough.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/26/17 1:43 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: This came on the radio tonight. Mrs. VCH and I sang it all the way through. https://www.youtube.com/embed/nfk6sCzRTbMhttps://www.youtube.com/embed/nfk6sCzRTbM I remarked how this was "high school dance" song for me. And she (being 9 years my junior) remarked on how old I am.

When I was a little kid and this song was on heavy rotation on MTV and the pop stations, I used to think the chorus went like this:

I didn't understand why the mean person was taking the other person's meat with them. I still sing the lyrics that way today, and so should you.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
6/26/17 10:28 p.m.

Yacht Rock needs Michael McDonald to sing vocals on it or a member of Toto to play instrument on it.

For modern yacht rock goodness checkout a song called 'Show me the way' by a bassist named Thundercat. It has Loggins and McDonald both singing on it

volvoclearinghouse
6/27/17 6:27 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito:

Oh, I will.

volvoclearinghouse
6/27/17 7:22 a.m.

The Corvair convertible that I drive on nice days only has an AM radio, which means, in Baltimore, I end up listening to 1370 - a sort of classic gold format station. A few weeks ago, just as I was making a left turn at a particular intersection, this song came on:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sLE_emfAd74

The next time I drove the Corvair was last week, and guess what song came on the radio, at the exact same point in my drive? I felt like Bill Murray.

Wall-e
7/1/17 6:45 a.m.

I haveVahevala cued up and ready to go for this mornings episode of why can't I check my timecard.

Wall-e wrote: I've been stuck in the office shuffling paper most of the week as the fill in house mouse. I usually have it playing at my desk for background noise as it's fairly inoffensive but I have one coworker that can't stand it. On Saturdays he always comes in, tries to get into our timekeeping program, which is down on Saturday mornings every week for processing, then complains about having trouble logging in. At about 5:30 before he came in This Is It was on and I paused it just before the big "This Is It" gets belted out and waited. 8:00 rolls around and he tries to get in. He turns to me and says "I don't know what's going on, my Log In is giving me trouble". In my best cheesy announcer voice I said "Here's one Loggin that never has trouble" and hit play on my computer cranked up to 11. He got up and stormed out of the room without saying a word.
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/12/17 8:49 p.m.

I'm dredging this mess up again for one good reason. Was playing gta online and Los Santos rock radio, is hosted by Kenny loggins, and the call phrase is sunset on the deck. Yes, it's as smooth as it sounds. Don Johnson and all.

mapper
mapper HalfDork
8/14/17 7:14 a.m.

FYI, Yacht Rock was a limited engagement channel on Sirius XM so you have until September 6 to enjoy the cheesy goodness!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/14/17 11:18 a.m.

This thread has so much lose. I spent years trying to undo the damage my parents did to my brain with their heavy Air Supply rotation at the ranch...

mapper
mapper HalfDork
8/14/17 11:39 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: This thread has so much lose. I spent years trying to undo the damage my parents did to my brain with their heavy Air Supply rotation at the ranch...

If you're all out of love you can always try making love out of nothing at all. Then you'll be lost in love and you'll find that even the nights are better.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/14/17 11:45 a.m.

In reply to mapper:

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/17 9:48 p.m.

You realize that in the Escape (the Pina Colada song) she placed her ad first.

Yes, that's how you reference the song. I remember it from the juke box on the counter at the Oconee East diner my Dad always took us to growing up on LI.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BZVD5f16ORG9tXBI6KW4BZYVdpqQicsJq0VDWxenxhRDzJGJP7mKuMsttjUu6DFT