1 2 3
wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/7/09 3:15 p.m.

are you saying there is a problem with dead grass.... my yard is one of those 50' yards ... it looks fine from at least 50' away

andrave
andrave Reader
9/7/09 3:57 p.m.

I'm still trying to find an effective way to deal with the wasps and hornets that build nests high in the eves of my house, above that which I can reach with the "20-30ft spray" cans.

Throwing rocks at them certainly pisses them off...

but perhaps there is a more productive way?

For your situation, I'd block off the inside hole then spray the hell out of the outside hole, and repeat as often as necessary.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/7/09 4:36 p.m.
andrave wrote: I'm still trying to find an effective way to deal with the wasps and hornets that build nests high in the eves of my house, above that which I can reach with the "20-30ft spray" cans. Throwing rocks at them certainly pisses them off... but perhaps there is a more productive way? For your situation, I'd block off the inside hole then spray the hell out of the outside hole, and repeat as often as necessary.

Hose em down and stomp em! Works way better than you would think.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/09 7:37 p.m.
andrave wrote: I'm still trying to find an effective way to deal with the wasps and hornets that build nests high in the eves of my house, above that which I can reach with the "20-30ft spray" cans. Throwing rocks at them certainly pisses them off... but perhaps there is a more productive way? For your situation, I'd block off the inside hole then spray the hell out of the outside hole, and repeat as often as necessary.

paintball gun from a distance?

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch New Reader
9/7/09 7:53 p.m.

one house we worked in years ago had a "humming" from one stud space (16''x 8' tall, obviously).

several holes in the crappy siding outside, and bees in and out CONSTANTLY. dude said "what should i do, its been getting worse every year for like, 5 years". we were doing windows, and doing some drywall work around them, so he had a beekeeper come and smoke them into a comatose state (didnt want to kill them and have bee stink in the house, too many to kill)

the humming stopped (it was LOUD) after he smoked them for a while. they did not die though....

we cut off drywall in said stud space, and the bee keeper was amaze. thousands and thousands of bees/hive. he carefully pulled out every part of the hive, and put it into a box he had built in the same shape, roughly. we filled the holes in siding , re boarded behind siding, reinsulated (they had ate ALL the insulation), and redrywalled.

CRAZY. one of the odder mornings of my life.

andrave
andrave Reader
9/7/09 7:54 p.m.

an effective way that doesn't leave paint marks on my house.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
9/7/09 8:50 p.m.
andrave wrote: an effective way that doesn't leave paint marks on my house.

I usually just use a hose to knock down the nests - they usually get the hint and relocate someplace else.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
9/7/09 10:29 p.m.

Make sure to wear nothing but flip-flops and shorts.

Go out around midday and knock the nest down with a broom.

Stomp and swat until they're gone.

Make sure you have someone with a camcorder nearby to document the event.

This is a very effective method and I highly recommend it.

Shawn

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade New Reader
9/7/09 11:12 p.m.

Super Soaker should be cheap. Mix your favorite brand of pesticide in, shake, and soak!

I'd label the gun "For Bugs Only" after that.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
9/7/09 11:49 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: paintball gun from a distance?

Desert Eagle. it's the only way to be sure.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
9/7/09 11:50 p.m.

My roommate the entomologist highly recommends calling a professional, but definitely plug hole on inside first. Expanding and hardening foam works well. Then the pest control person can kill the hive. Then you can seal up the wholes outside.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/8/09 10:19 a.m.

haven't had to deal with large masses... but nothing works better then carb cleaner for the small nests on the side of houses and in car nooks... dries the bee/wasp out almost instantly and they drop even in mid flight... pretty awesome... also makes a big fire... but don't do that if it's still on the side of the house... had one of those duh moments a few years back... lol

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/8/09 10:25 a.m.
donalson wrote: also makes a big fire... but don't do that if it's still on the side of the house... had one of those duh moments a few years back... lol

Need more details

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/09 11:04 a.m.

I can bet it involved working on an MR2.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/8/09 11:15 a.m.

lol... well it did involve working AROUND mr2 parts sitting on the back porch... wasp nest in the corner (corner going OUT so inside the L)... sprayed the piss outa em with carb cleaner... then decided i needed to make sure they wuz ded... so put a lighter up to em... few swats with a towel (only thing I had on hand) and it was out... but not before charing the paint lol...

honestly had I burnt down the building the worst part about it would be us loosing our stuff... my neighbors where asshats and the landlord was a freakin biatch

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/8/09 12:03 p.m.

I took care of a whole wasp's nest today that was on my back porch. I covered the nest with the jar, popped it off the ceiling, and trapped as many wasps in it as I could. They were dead fast, and I get to keep the insects for class.

Oh, and I was wearing full motorcycle gear with extra layers.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/09 12:29 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: I took care of a whole wasp's nest today that was on my back porch. I covered the nest with the jar, popped it off the ceiling, and trapped as many wasps in it as I could. They were dead fast, and I get to keep the insects for class. Oh, and I was wearing full motorcycle gear with extra layers.

What the hell happened to that table?

andrave
andrave Reader
9/8/09 12:36 p.m.

my guess is donalson saw the wasps and gave it the carb cleaner/lighter treatment

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/8/09 1:20 p.m.
Woody wrote: What the hell happened to that table?

Someone along the line of the desk's ownership liked to balance lit cigarettes around the edge. Thank you, Craigslist.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/09 2:08 p.m.

I would bet a dollar that person was a guitar player named Dale. He was a friend of mine in high school that used to do that, resting his smoke on the table while he played. It was weird, cause there was a perfectly good, albeit full, ashtray less than ten inches away.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
9/8/09 2:38 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
andrave wrote: I'm still trying to find an effective way to deal with the wasps and hornets that build nests high in the eves of my house, above that which I can reach with the "20-30ft spray" cans...
Hose em down and stomp em! Works way better than you would think.

He's right. Every year in Oklahoma I would get a nest on the eves of the house. Hit it with a water hose until it falls, then keep spraying it as you charge it. They can fly with wet wings, then they taste my goverment-issued boots of doom.

erasmus229
erasmus229 New Reader
9/8/09 2:55 p.m.

When it comes to flying pests, brakleen works awesome. Bees, wasps etc. fall out of the sky and are dead before they hit the ground. It doesn't leave marks (probably not food safe) and a fresh can with the applicator straw is pretty accurate @ 10'. DO NOT IGNITE

Jake
Jake HalfDork
9/8/09 3:13 p.m.

They are bad this year. I had a bad day last time I mowed my grass. Near as I can tell, I drove over the nest on one pass, and then I think after they had regrouped I hit it again- that second time, I got stung about 10 times before I could get away from the mower. That nest got a full can of the expanding foam type wasp/hornet killer (pretty cool- it foams up like Westley's Bleche-White tire cleaner and I guess expands into the nooks and crannies of the nest), and the one on the other side of the yard got one as well.

Walking toward the nest, can of wasp spray in hand, one of the little buggers stung me right on the hand holding the can of wasp spray- I think he knew what I was up to.

If they aren't all dead next time I go to mow, I am bringing out the propane torch to burn it out. We'll see how they like a dose of high pressure fire.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/8/09 7:43 p.m.

if you'll wait 'til dusk you'll get the vast majority of them in the nest... and they die die die

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/09 11:53 p.m.
Jake wrote: We'll see how they like a dose of high pressure fire.

high pressure fire wins!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ys1fPsBMMAbIAV4611TeWYXwWqlxtjjD5J7t9LUQp9AoXCHxpeXB27cnOKbwIfzN