Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/29/18 12:40 p.m.

You know what I like about high school girls?   Oh, no, wrong thread.

Yes! My local high school is teaching mechanics, welding, and machine tool along with other STEM classes.

As a former “Machinist of the Year” I am proud of these kids. There is a bright future for the generation following us.....

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/29/18 5:57 p.m.

oh no the world might have fewer lawyers - the horror. wink

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/29/18 7:59 p.m.

One of the charities we do with our car show proceeds is to give out two $500 tool scholarships to the local automotive trade school.  One of the big tool truck companies matches that so the kids each get $1K worth of tools.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
9/29/18 8:21 p.m.

There's a high school in Wisconsin that has a machine shop class, that the kids run like a business. A local company even gives the kids part time jobs, with potential for full time positions after graduation. 

EDIT: Cardinal Manufacturing at Eleva-Strum High School

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/29/18 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

In 1980 I was given a $100 worth of machinist  tools to kick off my career - a local business fronted the money.   I still use many of these skills today although my career has changed.  I’m a huge fan (about 290#) of trade school.   

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/1/18 9:13 a.m.

That's cool, Pete, and that's what we are trying to accomplish with our scholarships. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/1/18 9:18 a.m.

We have a vocational school in town so the normal High school won't be bringing shop back. Kennedy tool boxes are manufactured here and attending the tech school gives you a 75% discount on a box. That was the biggest outside perk when I was in auto tech.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nkot3KFlp8Q6fTds2E7ePSNupjEIL5FN3CKHygpedZBeM4tQHLtCRziswwR0vVUb