Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/17/19 3:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/19 3:51 p.m.
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:

"poor taste in music" really means "different taste than mine".

I disagree.  There actually IS good and poor taste in anything, including music.

I do however, stipulate that not everything I like is in good taste and not everything I hate is in poor taste.

So taste is an objective measure, not subjective? Show your work! ;)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/17/19 3:56 p.m.

Don't try to annoy people. You won't annoy enough. 

Just get as much as much "generally accepted as good music" as you can on a playlist and put it on shuffle. 

Older stuff: Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Bob Wills/Asleep at the Wheel, etc.

Country: Chris Stapleton, Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, George Strait, etc.

Classic rock: Pearl Jam, Rolling Stones, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, CCR, Journey, Steve Miller Band, Springsteen etc.

Soft Rock: The Eagles, Paul Simon/Garfunkel, James Taylor, Billy Joel etc.

Modern stuff: Norah Jones, Carly Rae Jepson, John Mayer, Vampire Weekend, Coldplay, Amy Winehouse, Beyonce, Adele, Bruno Mars...

This list will make sure that no one complains and also no one remembers. Just about every artist listed is a someones favorite, someones most hated, and most folks will recognize but not know. Which is really what you want. 

If you want to piss everyone off, just do non-stop bluegrass, jazz fusion, and kids tv jingles.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/17/19 3:59 p.m.

Flip the script.

Play music that is great, but doesn't fit a party environment.

Like Tyler Childers' new album.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/19 4:00 p.m.

The "gift" U2 album that keeps coming back on my phone no matter what I do.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
12/17/19 4:01 p.m.
bluej said:

So you're upset that you got assigned a task you don't like, and because of that you're going to try and make the party tunes crappy for everyone?  Classy.

Also, music is so subjective, why all the vitriol?  Sure I don't like many of the songs you've noted, and I sincerely dislike the repetitive lazy beat of a lot of reggae stuff, but so what? that's my ditch to dig. 

At this point, if you go through with your plan, I kinda hope there's the half dozen folks there that love every one of those songs and decide to sing along, and ask you to repeat some.

Maybe you're playing it up some for conversation sake, but you're not coming off in your best light here.

This. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/17/19 4:02 p.m.

It is possible that any nostalgic trash-pop could backfire and they may love it. Though just as possible they actually listen to the songs they used to love and actually recognize the garbage they were fed 20 years ago. They may even wake up to the fact that almost all the stuff on the radio hit stations comes from the same handful of labels and producers (in the words of mr Shooter Jennings "processed bubblegum bullE36 M3") and actually wake up.

It'll never happen, but a fellow can dream.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/17/19 4:03 p.m.

Limp biz kit. 

_
_ Dork
12/17/19 4:21 p.m.
bluej said:
_ said:

In reply to bluej :

Go ahead and see yourself to the door. 

keepin it classy, still. nice.

Ah. How could I forget you graced us with your presence! So humble of you to come down off your cloud and meander with us mortals. 

I work with uptight hipsters that listen to E36 M3ty music all day. I'm constantly inundated with "music you've never heard of". The water cooler talk is about How they went to some obscure band that the other one hasnt heard of. These types can't stand mainstream music, much less the terrible mainstream music of the 90's. They hate my music and have banded together so that I can't listen to stuff like old Metallica or the Ramones at work because they find my music "threatening". I'm just giving them what they deserve for being tools that follow fads. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
12/17/19 4:27 p.m.

Barney theme song , again and again and again.........

maybe this needs to change to "what music will make you spill your guts to the cops" music

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/17/19 4:28 p.m.
_ said:
bluej said:
_ said:

In reply to bluej :

Go ahead and see yourself to the door. 

keepin it classy, still. nice.

Ah. How could I forget you graced us with your presence! So humble of you to come down off your cloud and meander with us mortals. 

I work with uptight hipsters that listen to E36 M3ty music all day. I'm constantly inundated with "music you've never heard of". The water cooler talk is about How they went to some obscure band that the other one hasnt heard of. These types can't stand mainstream music, much less the terrible mainstream music of the 90's. They hate my music and have banded together so that I can't listen to stuff like old Metallica or the Ramones at work because they find my music "threatening". I'm just giving them what they deserve for being tools that follow fads. 

[A bunch deleted here, not necessary] Make your playlist entirely Spongebob, Barney the Dinosaur, Song that never ends, Bob the Builder, etc. and be done with it if you're set on being petty. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/17/19 4:39 p.m.

I think your best course of action here is to come up with an obscure mix of psychopath tunes.  Stuff like early Pink Floyd's "Careful with that Axe, Eugene".  Maybe Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".  Some Frank Zappa stuff.  You get the idea.  Might make some people fairly uncomfortable.

_
_ Dork
12/17/19 4:42 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'll be petty, but in a subtle way. I don't want them to have verifiable proof that I'm being an ass. Just want them to pull their hair out for a bit and then collectively agree to never let that happen again. 

To be fair, I would find fault with their songs that they play on the radio, but I can't understand a goddamn word that's being said

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/19 4:44 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to mtn :

I'll be petty, but in a suttle way. I don't want them to have verifiable proof that I'm being an ass. Just want them to pull their hair out for a bit and then collectively agree to never let that happen again 

I'd say they'll likely know, but will probably ignore it because they might want to just have fun.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/17/19 4:47 p.m.

Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffett, whatever they're going to play in an "island" bar where 60 year old white ladies pay 14 dollars for a watered down Mai tai. 

_
_ Dork
12/17/19 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

This might work. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/19 5:07 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Any modern country.

This. HATE!

Keith Tanner
12/17/19 5:09 p.m.

This thread doesn't look good on you guys. Lots of ugly elitism. And this is from a guy with a music degree.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/17/19 5:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This thread doesn't look good on you guys. Lots of ugly elitism. And this is from a guy with a music degree.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.

edit- here's the funny part, when you go out of your way to belittle me via what I like to listen to- the odds of you getting any help goes down considerably.  Heck, any of your opinions, I can just quickly dismiss as total crap.  Is that what you really want?

Especially if you are going out of your time wasting your energy trying to convince others to hate things you want to hate.  As opposed to the opposite- which makes everyone feel better instead of worse.  yay for being mad vs. happy.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/17/19 5:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

But they don't like exactly what I like, so they all need to die in a fire.  If they aren't rabid fans of the Insane Clown Posse and Celine Dionne like I am, they suck. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/19 5:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

So you are Captain Slow in disguise? :)

Keith Tanner
12/17/19 5:38 p.m.

Oh, to have that luxurious hair!

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/19 5:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Oh, to have that luxurious hair!

So I have it backwards?  Captain Slow is you in disguise? 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
12/17/19 5:55 p.m.

Your coworkers don't like your taste in music, yet they commissioned you with playing music for a party? Weird. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/17/19 6:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I really hope I'm included in this. I've been working on developing my ugly elitism for many years, but I never feel like I've quite gotten it right. Maybe I'm finally ready to go pro. cheeky

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
61Ksx3C9cQsIc3RsNU2iov4kHDGuUfTTRodaYYTpTCUjy0FJIrDUmmikpPKwiJAJ