1 2 3 4
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/17/17 8:34 p.m.

I may be wrong, but reading some of the documents gives me the impression the DOT regs regarding sleeper berths are when they are intended to be used while moving when the truck has a two-driver crew. One sleeps while the other drives.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/17 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I agree that is probably what they are written for. But since they don't say so, it's still applicable (even if not very relevant).

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/17/17 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I will be honest, since I started this job, DOT regs are some of the most confusing written documents out there. You'll have yourself second guessing in no time.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/17 8:52 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to SVreX: Reading the site again, part of the Zoom Room is adding a DOT-entry compliant sunroof to the truck.

That's just the more polite way of saying, "We're gonna hack a huge berkeleying hole in your roof, and you are still gonna have to climb up through the roof".

I see no joy in that thing.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/17 8:55 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to Ian F: I will be honest, since I started this job, DOT regs are some of the most confusing written documents out there. You'll have yourself second guessing in no time.

Right, but if there are no specific limitations, then they get to enforce it.

Since the rule doesn't say anything about applying only when there are 2 drivers, it is applicable at all times, whether it makes sense or not.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/17/17 8:56 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

There's a ladder too.

Doesn't sound that bad to me. But I'm 46, still fairly thin and flexible. Ask me again in 10 years.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/17 9:11 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you allowed to sleep in the RVs you are hauling?

A lot more comfortable, and free.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/17/17 9:38 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

That's a gray area, depends who you talk to. Fall and Spring are about the only times you can do it since they don't have any operating heat or air con.

I've done it, it's just you have to make it look like you were never in there.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/17/17 9:56 p.m.

That thing (in the original post) scares the crap out of me from a safety standpoint. Your truck catches fire, or you have some sort of medical emergency and you need to get down into the cab via the sunroof first? No thanks!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/17/17 10:11 p.m.

Ok, ive read this for 3 pages now and I gotta ask- what happened to the goofy air mattress you had for thr back?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/18/17 12:56 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Ok, ive read this for 3 pages now and I gotta ask- what happened to the goofy air mattress you had for thr back?

It sprung a leak. It was tearing up my back too because I couldn't lay strait. I always had to be in a fetal position.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/18/17 6:58 a.m.

There are many days I have spent 10-12 hours inside my car or Trailblazer traveling sales for work in and out of the car all day. Sometimes I have put 500+ miles on traveling somewhere. I can't imagine finishing my day sleeping in that same seat.

I feel for you buddy.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/18/17 7:10 a.m.

I suppose it depends on how long you plan to do this and what the investment pay-back would be. Looking the price-difference and associated pros and cons, I'd probably just say "berk-it" and get one of those add-on sleepers that extend the frame and go between the bed and the cab. Also probably ditch the factory seats and get commercial-grade Recaro truck seats.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/18/17 9:14 a.m.

This site is all about grassroots approaches and DIYing, which I am all for. But DIYing is almost always a compromise.

I can't paint a car or build an engine as well as a pro, but I can do a good enough job and save a few dollars. That doesn't make it the perfect solution- it's a compromise.

Similarly, you are looking for a DIY solution which will be a compromise. It may be less comfortable than a complete commercial hot shot tow rig, or have other issues.

The rooftop solution scares me. Yeah, you can save a few dollars, but you are gonna compromise in comfort, access, heating, and most importantly safety. I can't imagine having a medical emergency in one of those things and trying to describe to the EMTs over the cell phone where the heck I was, then having them try to get me out. Maybe a weekend here or there, but every working night for a year? No way.

Long term, I think your cheapest solution is going to be a real commercial rig. Primarily because it will have resale value when you sell it very close to your original purchase price (which means it's free). But it is also likely to be more efficient, allow you to accomplish more paid work, and attract more work because it looks professional.

The rooftop solution is a straight expense, plus a truck ruined for resale because of the huge hole in the roof. And it probably won't transfer to the next truck.

In the 6 month window, the rooftop solution is probably cheaper. In the 5-10 year window, no way.

Don't forget, you are also going to want to bathe occasionally. You won't eliminate hotel rooms.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/18/17 9:28 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Because I was curious, I tried to search for the DOT regulation in the ad. Doesn't exist. In fact, the code is 393.76-
Thanks for pointing this out. I am quite curious about this myself. I'm wondering why they gave a bogus DOT statute.

Could be an honest mistake that has propagated through the company for many years.

Could be fake, where the "code" they are meeting becomes some kind of marketing tool instead of reality.

For sure, it's worth asking about if you were going to buy something. Basically ask for a copy of the regulation, so that you know what you are buying- that would quickly filter the BS.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/18/17 9:30 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Don't forget, you are also going to want to bathe occasionally. You won't eliminate hotel rooms.

There are a lot of truck stops out there that have clean showers for rent. Or, if in the correct location, a campground like KOA can be used overnight.

You can eliminate hotel rooms.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/18/17 9:48 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I totally understand what you are saying. My problem is that I can't see myself getting a purpose built rig for quite a while. It's hard to find a good used one and there is no way I can even afford the down payment on a new one. I'm kind of stuck with what I have for a few years, that's why I'm looking for something that maybe I could afford on the short term. Nothing I'm finding looks to accommodate a guy of my height.

I honestly may just buy a camper shell and throw a mattress in the back at this point.

As for showers, as alfadriver said, I go to truck stops for that. Every 100 gallons in a single fill up, I get a free shower. My go to places are Pilot/Flying J or Love's. They're generally really clean and its a nice break from the road.

I've literally paid for a hotel twice since I started this job, once at orientation and the other when I was laid over waiting for a trailer.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/18/17 10:03 a.m.

Except for when your wife or father is along, right?

You said earlier there were times hotel was the only option.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/18/17 10:15 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: Except for when your wife or father is along, right? You said earlier there were times hotel was the only option.

Well yeah, I more or less meant when I'm by myself. If you want to get specific, make it 4 times I've been in a hotel.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/18/17 10:20 a.m.

Well, if it's that infrequent, go ahead and rip out the interior.

When you have a passenger, either put it back, or rent a truck.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/17 10:33 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: Well, if it's that infrequent, go ahead and rip out the interior. When you have a passenger, either put it back, or rent a truck.

^This!

I was wondering how hard it is to remove and install the front seat. I would think it would be like a 15 minute job.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/18/17 10:40 a.m.

I think the right tool for the job in your game is just a slight overkill to a Class 5/6 truck.
Typically used for horse hauling and totter homes, these rigs get bought new by the wealthy as a toy and then often see very few miles. They seem like they could be a bargain on the second hand market.

'00 Freightliner w/ 82k asking $39k

A real air-ride seat up front and look what we have in the back.
The cab (and therefore bench/bed) is also wider than a pickup truck based cab.

Another, in Illinois asking $24.9k w/149k miles
I bet you paid that for your 3500 with similar miles.

Does your contract require that your vehicle be of a certain age like not more than 10 years old?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/18/17 10:43 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I can't just gut my interior. You're not technically allowed to sleep in the truck unless it has a DOT approved sleeper berth. You can't just throw a bed in it and call it good. Too many guys are playing Russian Roulette with the DOT enforcement officers doing it that way. I'm already pushing my luck sleeping in my truck, that's why I'm looking for DOT compliant options. Every state is different and so is every officer. I want to be as compliant as possible.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/18/17 10:58 a.m.

Has this one been mentioned?

https://www.woodhouse.com/sleeper_berth

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/18/17 11:09 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to SVreX: I can't just gut my interior. You're not technically allowed to sleep in the truck unless it has a DOT approved sleeper berth. You can't just throw a bed in it and call it good. Too many guys are playing Russian Roulette with the DOT enforcement officers doing it that way. I'm already pushing my luck sleeping in my truck, that's why I'm looking for DOT compliant options. Every state is different and so is every officer. I want to be as compliant as possible.

I read this paragraph as a business opportunity. DOT compliant berth inside of a 4 passenger pick up. Hm.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fwHdedLQnc7OyYBpI9dCUUBtychDrsk7vF0RRRY5IDI1WQqqV1ZD2euVHrEom5kg