March 16, 2015 7:12 a.m.

Mine, affiliated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191537387222?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ian F MegaDork
March 16, 2015 8:38 a.m.

Watching. No reserve?

I have to admit the title issue concerns me.

March 16, 2015 9:12 a.m.

I'm not clicking that link

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 9:37 a.m.

I did and it's now on my watch list Westminster is only about an hour from me too. I may have to take a drive.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 9:37 a.m.

How hard is it to get seat upholstery for it, anyway??

914Driver MegaDork
March 16, 2015 10:23 a.m.

GRM did one as a project car, came out very nice! It's no longer in the "Completed Project Car" area, poke around for it if you are considering this Amazon.

Dan

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 10:44 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1967-volvo-122s/

March 16, 2015 11:11 a.m.

The worst case for the title, you can have a trusted mechanic put a mechanic's lein on the car, then he owns it and can transfer it to you. Most mechanics will want about $400 to do this. In Maryland, you can also apply for a writ of mandamus, which involves some court proceedings and results in a clear title. Since I'd never planned on registering the car, I never tried to get a title. But for a 50 year old car, it shouldn't be a problem.

March 16, 2015 11:15 a.m.
markwemple wrote: How hard is it to get seat upholstery for it, anyway??

There's places that sell it. The seats are actually made of modular cushions, so replacing them should be pretty simple. The frames are all there, in good shape. And I'm fairly sure the door panels are available as repros.

March 16, 2015 11:35 a.m.

Mark the problem is that parts are available and the cars are serviceable. It's a dangerous combo.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 12:39 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Mark the problem is that parts are available and the cars are serviceable. It's a dangerous combo.

How is that dangerous?... Oh, right, higher temptation. Could be worse. Could be a 544 or a p1800. Yummy.

March 16, 2015 12:41 p.m.
markwemple wrote:
captdownshift wrote: Mark the problem is that parts are available and the cars are serviceable. It's a dangerous combo.

How is that dangerous?... Oh, right, higher temptation. Could be worse. Could be a 544 or a p1800. Yummy.

Meh, 544's are fugly and 1800's rust. The 122 has the same drivetrain, in a more rugged, less corrosion-prone, and (IMHO) more attractive shell.

bluej SuperDork
March 16, 2015 12:45 p.m.

I take it you don't have the title from the PO, even if not signed to you?

Ian F MegaDork
March 16, 2015 1:01 p.m.

So far, everything I've seen in PA makes no title a royal PITA... but I may dig a bit deeper... although I need another car like a hole in the head... I do have a trusted mechanic or two, so that may be an option.

Unfortunately, the lack of a title may hurt the amount of money the car ultimately sells for. Most people just don't want the hassle.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 1:06 p.m.

A wagon would be really tempting....

Ian F MegaDork
March 16, 2015 1:06 p.m.

In reply to markwemple:

Oh yeah... if it was a wagon, I buy first and figure out the title issue later...

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 1:07 p.m.
Ian F wrote: So far, everything I've seen in PA makes no title a royal PITA... but I may dig a bit deeper... although I need another car like a hole in the head... I do have a trusted mechanic or two, so that may be an option. Unfortunately, the lack of a title may hurt the amount of money the car ultimately sells for. Most people just don't want the hassle.

Plus the joy of getting 165/80-15 rubber. Man, those things were everywhere....30 years ago.

Ian F MegaDork
March 16, 2015 1:10 p.m.

In reply to markwemple:

Nah... tires for this aren't a problem. It uses a very common 5x4.5" bolt pattern, so you aren't married to that wheel/tire size in the least. 195/65-15 tires aren't a lot different and are readily available.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

But not on those rims. You may be able to get away with 185/70. I wonder how hard it is to find those.... To tirerack

March 16, 2015 1:17 p.m.
bluej wrote: I take it you don't have the title from the PO, even if not signed to you?

No, I bought it B-O-S.

As for tires, Nexen, Vrendestein, Firestone, and Michelin all make this 165SR15 size (165/80R15). Wheels from Mustangs and older Chrysler also fit pretty well. 5 x 4.5 with a 3.75" backspace.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
March 16, 2015 1:20 p.m.

P6000 at ~200 ea. EEEK! So its either 165 or find wider rims.

bluej SuperDork
March 16, 2015 1:44 p.m.

What state was it in previously?

March 16, 2015 1:47 p.m.

These are what I'm buying new, now. They seem to wear well and handling is good for their size.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-SB802-Tire-165-80R15/19473481

March 16, 2015 1:49 p.m.
bluej wrote: What state was it in previously?

SC. I bought it as a project- the really solid body sold me on it- and went through it to make it dead reliable. I actually DD'd it for awhile...having multiple 122's makes this easy.

March 16, 2015 2:00 p.m.

There are still some 122 parts cars with titles in Delaware...just saying

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

14 hours ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

4 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

4 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

4 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

5 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

5 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

6 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

6 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

6 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

1 week ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

1 week ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

1 week ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
a22zfYzplDfbG290ryV7uo9wyxtiELy7