SOLD!!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/4/18 7:31 a.m.

I love it. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/18 9:14 a.m.

Minty! What size engine is that? That looks identical to my GLC 1.3L TC.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/4/18 9:43 a.m.

Early courier in a seventies-tastic green! I'm in love.

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
6/4/18 10:04 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Probably very similar!

its a 1.8l ohc Mazda motor.

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
6/6/18 8:25 a.m.

Feel free to make offers.... I put it on my local Craigslist so I’m sure I’ll get worse! Lol. 

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
6/7/18 9:23 a.m.

Love it. Painted wheels look great on there. I sorta miss mine being stock, and I'm definitely jealous of the early tailgate! Good luck getting it sold!

For anyone considering this, there's a pretty good facebook community for these. Disk brake swaps from later models are easy enough to do, and engine swaps are pretty common, though none are very well documented.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/7/18 4:56 p.m.

Like my REPU, only with 100 percent less 13B. Excellent truck!! On the correct coast for me too. Wish I had the funds. Well I do, but I just found a 00 Montero I want. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/7/18 5:08 p.m.
classicJackets said:

Love it. Painted wheels look great on there. I sorta miss mine being stock, and I'm definitely jealous of the early tailgate! Good luck getting it sold!

For anyone considering this, there's a pretty good facebook community for these. Disk brake swaps from later models are easy enough to do, and engine swaps are pretty common, though none are very well documented.

A 13B should be pretty easy to do. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/7/18 9:10 p.m.

Step brothers 

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
6/11/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Nice! Never seen a REPU in person! Heck... I think I’ve only seen one other first gen Courier in the last 20 years!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/11/18 11:12 p.m.

I was just looking at the pictures again (this time on a computer and not my potato phone) and noticed the rust bubbles on the rockers/lower fenders. Is it bad rust yet? Also I noticed there isn't a brake booster. I imagine with the 4 wheel drum brakes and no power brakes means pressing the brake pedal is merely a request to slow down a bit. 

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
6/12/18 7:17 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

No, the rust isn’t bad, and it hasn’t spread into the floors or door jambs.  I also have one NOS rocker panel in the parts collection that comes with the truck!

The brakes do require a firm press of the pedal, but it doesn’t weigh much so it stops ok.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
6/12/18 9:32 a.m.

^I'll echo that on the brakes. 1st gens (except maybe the REPU) didn't get a brake booster. Braking was still really doable, but (as with many older cars), paying attention and knowing your capabilities makes every drive less scary

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/12/18 2:46 p.m.
classicJackets said:

^I'll echo that on the brakes. 1st gens (except maybe the REPU) didn't get a brake booster. Braking was still really doable, but (as with many older cars), paying attention and knowing your capabilities makes every drive less scary

The REPU did indeed come with power brakes and front disks. Non vented disks, but still good  Rear uses 2 wheel cylinders on each side which is strange  

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
6/12/18 4:38 p.m.

This uses 2 wheel cylinders on each corner. There’s an upper and a lower on each wheel. Here’s a pic of the fronts. The rears are almost identical. It uses the same drum all around. I replaced every part on the front brakes. I have every part to do the rears new in boxes that’ll come with the truck.

Disc brakes and power brakes were an option on 2nd gen 77- Couriers. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/12/18 5:02 p.m.
Saron81 said:

This uses 2 wheel cylinders on each corner. There’s an upper and a lower on each wheel. Here’s a pic of the fronts. The rears are almost identical. It uses the same drum all around. I replaced every part on the front brakes. I have every part to do the rears new in boxes that’ll come with the truck.

Disc brakes and power brakes were an option on 2nd gen 77- Couriers. 

I wonder if the front brakes from my parts REPU would swap over to this so one could have disk brakes ? 

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
6/13/18 8:26 a.m.

The 2nd gen Courier parts swap over - if the spindle on the REPU is the same, I imagine these would too. The only "NLA" parts that you need to get from a 2nd gen for a disk brake swap are the hubs and the brake backing plates. Everything else is re-usable or available new.

Below is a cruddy picture of the hub/backing plate I put on mine, had the set shipped from the West Coast to South Carolina when the deal popped up.

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
6/18/18 7:50 a.m.

I dropped the price to $4000 on cl... so $3500 grm special price!

I really want to sell it to buy a side x side atv, but would consider interesting trades too. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
6/27/18 8:47 p.m.

I’d consider trading for something small and British!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PGNEMzekMEJFgehsOTgwfneutILbJObdGsKTlBgfsqdZ8gSSF59VUCdkKQFLsqxD