1 2
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/13 12:44 p.m.

For sale or trade for a classic roadster: (Alfa, Fiat, think old, think no roof)

I have stalled with this thing and honestly I’m not sure what route to take. I have a daily, I have another sports car, and I don’t know what role I want this car to fill anymore. My 240Z is just easier to have for autocross/ sporty driving and I’m finding myself wanting a classic roadster more and more to make my garage more rounded. So I’m putting this out there as a feeler, I may just keep it.

Read this first: Build thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/fubaru-76-dino-308-gt4-turbo-subaru-swap-project/59090/page1/

It wants to run!

The general layout of the project: 1976 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 – Clear title in hand 1997 JDM Subaru Impreza STi motor W/5 speed LSD STi trans Cold Water 914 locking spool Subarugears.com axle flanges 14x7.5 Campagnolo Mag wheels Griffin Radiator Momo alcantara seats OEM 350Z muffler Summit fuel cell, -6 AN lines Walbro fuel pump

You will need brakes, shifter cables, Spark (either figure out a way to bypass this immobilizer, another ECU, or Megasquirt type standalone) Then you need some paint and body work. It’s a straight body but the rear quarters at the bottom need work .

It’s a project but it’s one that is do able. I have little to no fab skills and I have been doing this with help from good friends and hand tools and scissor jacks. Time to accept reality and figure out another way.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/13 12:56 p.m.

NNNOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

I want to see this finished!

Good Luck!

Rob R.

crankwalk
7/25/13 12:58 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: NNNOOOOOOOoooooooooooo! I want to see this finished! Good Luck! Rob R.

Believe me nobody want to see this finished more than me but I'm not sure I'm the guy to do it. I have virtually no tools, no fab skills and not nearly as much time as I used to for this thing.

Listing it here first before the vultures of craigslist. (which im sure will be a bust)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/13 1:10 p.m.

Interested in a trade/partial for a 1973 AMC Javelin (with or without roof, I have a sawzall) or a 1971 Porsche 914?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/25/13 1:13 p.m.

I could further hack the roof off of my truck in the build threads!

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
7/25/13 1:15 p.m.

how would you feel about an mgb - gt? I realize it's not a convertible, but it does have this in it.

crankwalk
7/25/13 1:19 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Interested in a trade/partial for a 1973 AMC Javelin (with or without roof, I have a sawzall) or a 1971 Porsche 914?

Hehe I love that Javelin but thats your baby.

I want small Italian (pref) and topless cruising, maybe American but it would have to be a nice nice nice converitble cruiser.

crankwalk
7/25/13 1:21 p.m.

Hey oldtin, is that a Rover V8? I tried to put one of those the Ferrari and that didn't pan out for ****. That's a great car but I'll have to pass for now.

That Bronco is awesome though!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/13 1:23 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

I'm only half joking. I've been starting to entertain offers on it. 3 years is a loooooong time for me to own a car.

The 914 is definitely for sale.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/13 2:44 p.m.

How about a trade for a classic Mini? You know you want it.

crankwalk
7/25/13 2:53 p.m.
EvanB wrote: How about a trade for a classic Mini? You know you want it.

Maybe actually, send me some pictures. It's old, it's small, it's not reinventing the wheel.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
7/25/13 3:13 p.m.
oldtin wrote: how would you feel about an mgb - gt? I realize it's not a convertible, but it does have this in it.

Somehow I missed you had this. Do you have a build thread on it? How much are you looking to get out of it?

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
7/25/13 4:05 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: Hey oldtin, is that a Rover V8? I tried to put one of those the Ferrari and that didn't pan out for ****. That's a great car but I'll have to pass for now. That Bronco is awesome though!

308gt/4 is high on the want list. The mg has a ford 302 HO, t5 transmission, ford 8" rear end.

plan b, how about an italian-designed brit convertible? umm, some assembly required , but has a fresh engine (built for vintage racing).

crankwalk
7/25/13 4:11 p.m.

^ Can we put the 302 /t5 in the Triumph and call it a damn day?

LOL

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
7/25/13 4:17 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: ^ Can we put the 302 /t5 in the Triumph and call it a damn day? LOL

If you guys work that out I'd be interested in the MGB GT as a roller! lol

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
7/25/13 4:17 p.m.

In reply to cotton

no real build thread, you can find a bunch of build pics here

Sorry with the threadjack Crankwalk. I hope it finds a good home. I love that car.

crankwalk
7/25/13 4:18 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
crankwalk wrote: ^ Can we put the 302 /t5 in the Triumph and call it a damn day? LOL
If you guys work that out I'd be interested in the MGB GT as a roller! lol

x2 I mean come on this IS GRM right?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/13 4:21 p.m.

Or how about I pay you for the Mini and then you take your cash to retrieve said Ferrari

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
7/25/13 4:30 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Thanks, last threadjack post from me, but I send you an e-mail through the board in case you're interested in selling the MGB GT outright.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/25/13 5:00 p.m.

The mad scientist in me wants this. However methinks my Wartburg meets none of your criteria. I could cut the top off the Yugo and you'd have an Italian based convertible ;) But it needs a bit of effort.

EvanB
7/25/13 5:15 p.m.
nocones wrote:
Or how about I pay you for the Mini and then you take your cash to retrieve said Ferrari

As long as the cash covers the purchase of the Ferrari and my towing to get it.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/25/13 6:23 p.m.

Italian designed; sporty(ish), topless(ish).

Who am I kidding it doesn't meet any of your requirements; I want to see that thing done!

crankwalk
7/25/13 6:46 p.m.

^Heh that thing is pretty cool. I should revise what I'm looking for.

Old, oddball, italian, british (maybe), roadster (pref), manual trans UNLESS it's a Grand National/Sy/Ty (the only vehicles I would consider auto)

So if if checks some of those boxes let me know.

I feel like I'm being a quitter with this thing but I'm not getting any more free time and this kind of long term project isn't what I'm used to. I want this whole thing to go to somebody who will be able to getting it going and tear up a track somewhere. The wheels are 600 bucks A PIECE, the steering wheels is 500 etc etc. Most of the Ferrari parts that are required are already there. The pricy stuff.

A Ferrari shell = 5k STI Motorset= $2k Plus literally 1000's of dollars worth of other parts that goes with it.

So I could stand to easily make 7k back parting it but it's close, really close whether it looks like it or not. You hear this said a lot of times "You couldn't replicate this for the price if you wanted" and in this case its absolutely true. It's HARD to even find a donor mid engine Ferrari at a good enough price to think about doing this kind of thing with. At my asking price, if you are handy, you could get this done for well under 10k. How else are you going to have something like that for that price?

I still want to see it come to fruition but somebody elses man hours that have tools, time, and fab skills. Hopefully the new owner lets me take a ride in it one day.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/13 7:11 p.m.

I feel like a part of me is dying...

EvanB
7/25/13 7:38 p.m.

Stay tuned, it may be coming to Ohio.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EkEpv8qb7LBZjBygQLapLwJO3QkK4MP4mkvk7qfu0OCreZLI75qN29VDVecT3oNN