1 2
wae
wae Dork
2/3/17 5:03 p.m.

I've had this car for quite a while and I love it, but I just don't have time and it has been gathering literal dust and should go to someone who will actually drive it. There are 140,636.9 miles on it and when last driven it ran well. Most unique is the overall lack of rust on this car: There's a little spot on the panel between the headlights, but the underside is solid. Suspension was re-done about 5k miles ago with all poly bushings and new name-brand OEM-equivalent shocks/struts (Monroe? Gabriel? I don't remember). The cats are gone and were replaced about 10 years and 5k miles ago with a Racing Beat straight pipe with new piping to a new muffler. I swapped the clutch, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing about 9 years and 4.5k miles ago. I put on new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button in 2014, and they only have a couple hundred miles on them. The headlight motors work fine. The original radio also works, however, not all the speakers are functional.

In addition to the car, there's a decent set of parts that go along with it: I have a full set of new marker lights and lenses, the missing rubber trim bits, a metal sunroof that needs repair and paint, the original GSL-SE seats which need to be re-upholstered, windshield trim, A/C parts (what's on the car won't hold a charge for more than a few months), an NOS panel with in-tact tabs for the stereo selector and windows switches, new exhaust manifold gasket, and more.

Of course, there are a few imperfections. The rear end has a little bit of a drip to it. The power antenna is missing. After sitting for a few days it will smoke pretty heavily on start-up but if you drive it a couple times a week, it won't do it. There is something odd going on with the clutch: It could be the hydraulics (although I've replaced them, I don't know if they're properly bled), it could be that the pilot bearing is binding on the input shaft, or it could be something else. If you're not rev-matching, it can be a little hard to get in to gear and if you sit on perfectly flat ground with the clutch pedal all the way in, the car will slowly inch forward. I'm open to suggestions on that, but it all started when I replaced the clutch. The pilot bearing came out of the e-shaft in little bits and it's not been right since that. There's also an exhaust leak which is coming from the manifold gasket I think. The washer fluid bottle has developed a crack. The tires have plenty of tread hold air without any leaking and only about 5k miles on them, but they're about 13 years old and have a lot of cracking to the point that I wouldn't personally feel comfortable taking a trip longer than to the nearest tire store. The battery is totally flat and needs to be replaced. Then there's the paint. I don't really want to talk about it, but I tried sanding it down and spraying on some black gloss metallic and let's just say that it didn't really go too well and leave it there.

Asking price is $3,000, but I'm open to offers and I would even entertain trades if that's what excites you. Title is clean, free of liens, in my name, and in my physical possession.

More and full size pictures are here: http://putrescence.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/80

If there's anything else that you want more detail on, let me know. Best method of contact is probably via PM-mail here.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/17 11:00 a.m.

Ha ha ha..putrescence. Funny stuff. Seriously, though, seriously nice car, and excellent deal. Bumping for exposure.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/4/17 11:21 a.m.

A girl I used to work with had one of these for sale when they were only a couple of years. I still kick myself for not buying it.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
2/4/17 6:22 p.m.

Paging IZZMUS and by that I mean Knurled. Shows how much I've been hanging around here lately.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
2/4/17 8:18 p.m.
cghstang wrote: Paging IZZMUS and by that I mean Knurled. Shows how much I've been hanging around here lately.

You mean peejay?

cghstang
cghstang Dork
2/4/17 9:18 p.m.

yeah, noisycricket.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/17 12:32 p.m.

I have a lot of those...

I would but I have zero room! And money.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/7/17 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

This one might be worth it. He's not kidding about how solid it is. I know, because it used to be mine.

Knurled
2/7/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

I have literally no place to put it. I'd have to get rid of the black RX-7 to get it. (The fact that I have to specify which one I'd have to get rid of, should indicate why I have no room)

And then there's the problem of money. I am almost done paying off the hemhorragefest of my 2016 rallycross season. Including the parts to put the black one back together, the parts to make the Volvo more competitive in the interim, going to Nationals and two Challenges (including emergency bodywork after having a windshield installed just so I could run it once at Detroit's challenge, and buying a set of UHP tires just for that one event), and the fact that I had to acquire and populate a garage space, last year was... expensive. I'm just now getting my credit card down to a 3 digit number

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
2/8/17 11:04 a.m.

So short of the bad tires, and flat battery, would you trust it to drive to the East Coast? Very interested in this as a father/son project for son number 2. I even have a GSL-SE short block sitting on a stand in the garage. No idea what condition it is in, but all the apex seals are present, and accounted for.

wae
wae Dork
2/8/17 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I'd probably also give it an oil change and top off the rear end but otherwise, I would trust it for a long trip without hesitation. The cruise control even works fine!

sergio
sergio Reader
2/10/17 2:47 p.m.

I bought one 6 months ago with 148k on it. Drove it from LA to Houston in 2.5 days. Ran great got 20 mpg doing 80-100.

My point is, if the hoses and the belts are good, it should make a highway trip just fine. Of course the tires are a no brainer.

Knurled
2/10/17 4:54 p.m.

In reply to sergio:

My friend Denny sold his for something like $3800 ten or so years ago. A pilot from Florida bought it. Caught a jumpseat flight to Columbus, Denny picked him up at the airport, and they exchanged paperwork/money and the guy drove it home.

wae
wae Dork
2/10/17 7:15 p.m.

And I'd add that if you wanted to do a fly and drive, I could have the oil changed and fresh belts and hoses installed before you arrived.

wae
wae Dork
2/18/17 8:25 a.m.

Time for the crazies to come out of the woodwork! It's on craigslist now

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/24/17 4:48 p.m.

Dammit I so wish I had the money.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/24/17 8:17 p.m.

Ditto...

wae
wae Dork
2/24/17 9:11 p.m.

I wish you did too!

On that front though, I am willing to entertain offers. I'm not exactly desperate to sell, but my 2017 plan involves unloading this, a 91 CB750 Nighthawk, and my conversion van so I can get a truck.

Or selling the RX-7 and then getting distracted and buying an NA or NB Miata since I've never had one.

Or maybe a 3rd gen F-body...

Or maybe another Goldwing...

Or...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/24/17 9:49 p.m.

Seriously, I wish I did. I want another 1st gen, but this time in a GSL-SE guise. This is exactly what I want, with the wheels I want. I see stuff like this and I hate not having money.

Plus I have a Corvair in my garage that needs my attention badly.

NBraun
NBraun GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/25/17 9:27 a.m.

If only you were closer! I happen to have a Miata, and have always wanted to own an rx7..

wae
wae Dork
2/25/17 10:53 a.m.

Closer to where? I love a good road trip adventure!

NBraun
NBraun GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/25/17 10:56 a.m.

In reply to wae:

Well i'm in Brookings South Dakota, so just about a 13 hour trip one way!

wae
wae Dork
2/25/17 5:23 p.m.

In reply to NBraun:

We've got friends we'd like to go see in Iowa City which looks like it's just about exactly half way...

Knurled
2/25/17 6:32 p.m.

13 hours in an RX-7 is fun! You stop for fuel every 250mi or so and keep truckin' until you're there.

wae
wae Dork
2/25/17 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Especially when the muffler is properly attached! =)

On an interesting side note, I got a very un-craigslist-like reply to my ad the other day. He told me that while he loved FBs, he wasn't in the market to buy another one at this time, but he was pretty skeptical about my pilot bearing theory and suggested that it was probably the slave cylinder just not getting bled properly. And if that wasn't it, he suggested pulling the pilot bearing and replacing it with a bronze bushing.

So refreshingly weird to get a craigslist reply that wasn't a crazy person or a scammer...

EDIT: Also, just jumped the battery and took it out for a little drive tonight. Adding to their other flaws, the tires are rather flat-spotted, but I forgot how much I enjoy driving that car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ohXAk7WV9GQAm35aKoeu8rhbzfC7igEJ8gRx8kgUUTHYB1BAR9MkNyXqJQxyHlG6