dcomden
dcomden
6/11/17 11:49 a.m.

\'85 Saab 900 in Tuktoyaktuk\\" />

Many more images available in this Flickr album.

Price: $2300

This car won its class in the 2008 Alcan 5000 rally (ok, it was the only 2WD entry ) and has successfully completed events in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California for the last 12 years. It's well set up for Time Speed Distance rallying and is a joy to drive.

Engine is stock, transmission has a Quaife limited slip differential.

Some modifications: SPG springs with plastic spacers to increases ride height Bilstein heavy duty shocks Full skid plate Aux driving lights E-code headlamps Two odometer sensors on each rear wheel Wiring for ham radio Engine harness rewired Boxed lower A-arms Other mods include motorized sunroof, rear sway bar, and more

Cosmetics: clear coat on hatch has been failing since before car was acquired in 2005. Some small bubbles on door skins and above windshield. Slight surface rust in other areas but nothing structural, including driveline tunnels. The dash is cracked and covered in patches of velcro for attaching various equipment for TSD competition. Headliner (replaced in 2006) is in good shape. Front seats are not original and are mismatched. Saab rubber floormats are worn but serviceable. Most decals have been removed from the body.

Ancillary systems: A/C is removed. Stereo and speakers replaced with aftermarket equipment. Power antenna works. Central locking works. Windows and sun roof operate properly. Power mirrors replaced with manual version. Temp gauge for transmission in place after LSD installation. Auto transmission cooler parts in hand, but not installed.

The car will be sold with a set of good mounted snow tires as well as a set of well-used gravel tires. Many more new and used spare parts will go with this car, more than will actually fit in it.

Available at additional cost: Timewise 798A rally computer, ICOM IC-2100H 2m amateur radio

Questions or offers: Contact via email: dan85saab@gmail.com

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/17 11:01 p.m.

Is this Satch's car that he did the Alcan in?

dcomden
dcomden New Reader
6/12/17 12:44 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr: No, it's not, though Satch's car was the same year if I'm not mistaken. I've done a few rallies with Satch over the years and many of them he's been in an even older Saab Sonnet :)

dcomden
dcomden New Reader
6/12/17 12:55 a.m.

Re-reading the ad that I wrote..., it's maybe not clear that the car has very good Michelin tires on it, mounted on the classic soccer-ball rims. There's a set of good snow tires (mounted) also that will come with it along with the worn gravel tires -- maybe ten extra mounted tires along with the good tires on the car.... I'd drive this car cross-country if needed, even without all the spare shoes.

hobiercr
6/12/17 8:28 a.m.

In reply to dcomden:

The thing I remember most about his Alcan story was the fact that he thought his new aftermarket stereo was possessed for the first half of the event. It would jump between CD's, radio, stations, etc. at totally random times. Turn on and off on it's own and basically flumoxed him thoroughly...until he found out it came with a remote, which his co-driver had absconded with.

Much of my love of cars and rally specifically came from his writing.

GLWS. Someone is going to get a nicely fitted and sorted Saab.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/17 1:22 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Much of my love of cars and rally specifically came from his writing.

He's why I spent ten years searching for, and finally buying, a Curta.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/12/17 3:13 p.m.

It's worth noting that the Quaife is extremely rare - there are perhaps a few dozen in the U.S. There are clutch-type diffs floating around - you once could buy them from a dealer via the Saab Sport and Rally catalog - but they are equally rare. The one in the car came via a group buy - tough to get enough interest at the time. Hence the bold text in the ad.

Disclosure: I have spent many, many hours working on, riding in (navigating), and driving this car.

dcomden
dcomden New Reader
6/15/17 1:25 a.m.

Let's emphasize "many" here. He won't buy the dang thing because he already has two Saabs. I'm selling this one as well as a very nice stock brother to this one not posted here. Hans (procainestart) and I met while I was getting some spare wheels for this car and the rest, as they say (who are "they") is the real story.

procainestart wrote: It's worth noting that the Quaife is extremely rare - there are perhaps a few dozen in the U.S. There are clutch-type diffs floating around - you once could buy them from a dealer via the Saab Sport and Rally catalog - but they are equally rare. The one in the car came via a group buy - tough to get enough interest at the time. Hence the bold text in the ad. Disclosure: I have spent many, many hours working on, riding in (navigating), and driving this car.
hobiercr
6/15/17 9:51 a.m.

You should post the stock one here too.

dcomden
dcomden New Reader
7/14/17 2:07 a.m.

Brother car is sold. The Green Dream TSD car is still available. I'm gradually cleaning it up and looking at Bring A Trailer for a sale option. Is that too crazy?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YIBCu7lTJaidKzAHSNhn1TT28dl63NB0LJO6VSRv54sCDf7Anp1tLJFDZe2chUzU