JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
8/4/13 10:38 p.m.

NMNA...

I think this is a bit too expensive (though I wouldn't laugh at someone who paid this price), but I'm posting it because it is really amazing to see one of these in this condition:

1987 Mazda 626 coupe GT

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/5/13 10:07 a.m.

I wouldn't say that this car is expensive...IF the mileage is verifiable. It sure looks clean and LOOKS like the mileage could be accurate in which case it's a nice / good buy. As rare as these are, the turbos are borderline unicorn status.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
8/5/13 10:34 a.m.

It's hard to value. They are rare, but there are too few people who are interested in these to even refer to that group as an "enthusiast community." So there isn't really a market determining value; you have a very small supply and a very small demand.

These cars received a lot of positive press when they were new, and I've talked to many people who owned them back in the 80s, who have good memories of them. But for whatever reason the enthusiasm didn't develop into a following which could carry on to the present day. It's a shame because now they are almost gone.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
9/18/13 9:27 p.m.

He lowered his price to $2475

Too bad he's so far away from any major metropolitan airport.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 9:45 p.m.

Where exactly is this? This thing is haunting me. It has Mazda foglight covers.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
9/18/13 10:18 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Where exactly is this? This thing is haunting me. It has Mazda foglight covers.

Upper Peninsula of Michigan...waayyy up there.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/19/13 11:00 a.m.

Is this an F2T engine, or a cousin?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/19/13 11:01 a.m.

FE Magnum. 2.0 8v turbo. It's a cousin. Also extremely strong in theory, but not a ton of information on how to make power on them these days.

I'd just start with the basics, intake, intercooler, exhaust, boost controller and see how far your AFRs look good or when boost cut hits, whichever comes first.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/19/13 11:15 a.m.

My wife has family about three hours away in WI. Maybe I could work out a deal where they could help me get this beast.

I don't know if they are car people though, so having them inpspect it for me may be out of the question.

Chris

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/19/13 11:23 a.m.

This is one of those situations where you just have them check for rust (don't forget the rear strut towers like James likes to remind everyone of), and see how it drives.

Then go pick it up at your leisure. If i had $2k cash and space, i'd just offer it to the dude over the phone if he could get pics of the strut towers and assured me that it ran and drove fine.

Then i'd be on my way.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/19/13 1:31 p.m.

Car is sold. I am a sad panda!!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
9/19/13 7:40 p.m.

Well here's a much lower mileage non-turbo that needs a transmission swap:

37k mile '84 LX.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/19/13 8:23 p.m.

DEM RIMZ!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/19/13 9:49 p.m.

Holy berkeleying E36 M3!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
9/19/13 10:34 p.m.

I'm sure that sweet example above doesn't have this problem, but if you're looking at one of these cars anywhere that rust is an issue...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/20/13 8:05 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Holy berkeleying E36 M3!

this^^

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pe3D7Cl4AmPaa0GWVrFYiPFOGn1ZN7yzXzhXuSnNRLixUE00UhcRiEtNJzvlotee