JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/26/14 4:32 p.m.

Belongs to a friend from BABE and Asphault Adventures rallies, good guy very well built car, very sad what happened.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/4588464352.html

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/26/14 8:58 p.m.

Did he buy that from a guy in Delaware? I may recognize that car. It is a shame.

chief8one
chief8one New Reader
7/27/14 3:29 a.m.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/27/14 9:04 a.m.

Its my understanding he built it himself, I could be mistaken.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/27/14 11:15 a.m.

Ahhh, he said he only had it 6 weeks, so I assumed he bought it. You now what they say about assumptions!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/27/14 6:18 p.m.

My mistake, he did purchase the car. He has signed up for an account and will be along to answer questions as soon as the 24 hour waiting period is up...I didn't know we had a waiting period.

Chet
Chet New Reader
7/28/14 10:41 a.m.

That is really a shame. I'm surprised though that the insurance company didn't total it due to the potential numerous issues.

JayDee
JayDee None
7/28/14 7:13 p.m.

It's my Miata that incinerated itself. I've been a long time subscriber, and occasional lurker and it took a while for my account to get activated over here.

I bought the car already built, out of Northeastern PA. It drove like a well sorted car and it looked like a clean swap. I was told it had done some track days before I got it. I was really enjoying the car and was scheduled for my first autocross and novice driving school the weekend after the fire.

Insurance would have totaled it if I had comprehensive on it, but all they would have given me was what a stock '92 Miata books for.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/28/14 10:11 p.m.

Well, it's not the car I thought it was, though it is remarkably similar. It's no less of a tragedy, though. Sorry for your loss.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/29/14 6:37 a.m.

Gorgeous car. Sorry man.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/29/14 9:49 a.m.
JayDee wrote: Insurance would have totaled it if I had comprehensive on it, but all they would have given me was what a stock '92 Miata books for.

I feel for your loss. This is another example of the purpose for specialty insurance. You have to get with a good agent, but it can be done. My wife writes specialty policies for a lot of kit cars and "oddball" cars like this. It can be insured to an agreed value instead of the blue book corresponding to the VIN number.

JayDee
JayDee New Reader
7/29/14 4:16 p.m.
glueguy wrote: I feel for your loss. This is another example of the purpose for specialty insurance. You have to get with a good agent, but it can be done. My wife writes specialty policies for a lot of kit cars and "oddball" cars like this. It can be insured to an agreed value instead of the blue book corresponding to the VIN number.

I wish I had a better agent a couple of months ago. My agent referred me to another specialty insurance agency who had a bunch of restrictions on use. I had checked with Hagarty about an agreed value policy. They gave me a quote, and then they decided they wouldn't cover me after I submitted a multi page application and sent in pictures and a detailed description of all the modifications. Their form letter said a '92 Miata wasn't collectible.

I've been driving for 30 years and have never totaled a car so I rolled the dice while I shopped for some real insurance. Unfortunately this time I lost.

Maybe it can be a lesson for someone else.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/29/14 11:23 p.m.

It's a tough spot. My wife is known by underwriters to be involved as a racer and collector. They know that she asks the right questions and understands the modifications, so it makes it easier to get cars covered. It's stories like this one why I try to respond on this board and why we go set up a tent at so many shows and try to educate people about the benefits of specialty insurance, even for cars that are not traditionally thought of as a "real" collector car.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
8/4/14 11:30 a.m.

Planet Miata built the car......

JayDee
JayDee New Reader
8/4/14 9:51 p.m.

Price drop to $5200,

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder New Reader
8/12/14 8:23 a.m.

So much want!!!!

I have a '94 dash and wiring harness I can let go fairly cheap for whoever steps up on this car. I would be dangerous in this!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ztGUKmlJcVj2QSVh53VDvzSTKWfta9duibxooExxSyOX1U2YdTl0UXxZaR4vg37f