glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/17 8:25 p.m.

Apparently the Dad of friends of ours owns this little gem. 94 Miata R package, no AC, no hard top. He's owned since 2001 and no rain since then. New top with glass window in 2012. Aftermarket wheels, don't know if he has the originals. Any interest or guess on value?

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
2/13/17 9:38 p.m.

If the condition is great it might catch the eye of a collector. Otherwise it's worth whatever a 40k mile NA Miata is. $4k-$6k depending on condition, assuming no rust.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/13/17 10:59 p.m.

I'll take it!

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
2/14/17 6:18 a.m.

The last BAT auction for an R-package was a 35k mile example with a hard top and very nice paint. It sold for $8,000. Here is the link.

Actually, I lied. One didn't sell for $7000 without the hardtop, but with working A/C. Here's that one.

I think $6,500 is probably a good price.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/17 7:52 a.m.

What color?

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/17 11:11 a.m.

white

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/15/17 4:22 p.m.

Would kinda like to have this and transfer all the good bits from the Manic Miata to it. A pre-'95 car would simplify my life immensely.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/17 4:59 p.m.

Rs aren't worth any more than normal Miatas. The only things that set them apart are the shocks (which are pretty awful) and the body kit parts. Also the combination of manual steering (boo) and Torsen (yay!). They're worth less to most people because of their lower specification.

So this car will be all about the low mileage and the condition.

If I were a collector, I'd be looking for a 1997 R simply due to rarity value. VERY short production run of that critter. But not an exceptionally desirable model in any other way, really.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
2/15/17 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Autocrossers used to snap them up because they had some benefits for people running ES, but recent additions to the ES fold (especially NB Miata's and MR2 Spyders) have diminished their value there too.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/20/17 12:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Rs aren't worth any more than normal Miatas. The only things that set them apart are the shocks (which are pretty awful) and the body kit parts. Also the combination of manual steering (boo) and Torsen (yay!). They're worth less to most people because of their lower specification. So this car will be all about the low mileage and the condition. If I were a collector, I'd be looking for a 1997 R simply due to rarity value. VERY short production run of that critter. But not an exceptionally desirable model in any other way, really.

Keith speaks the truth. I was absolutely deadset on a 94R for years. Got one, immediately replaced the suspension. Then came the wide tires, which made me hate the manual steering rack. Still have a completely irrational love for it though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MuPR7g0Tl9TP03ivRXlDxFq9B5ulCLA1uxPrJcfJb8SIO3Xc3sudseZf7QY9H9Sq