1 2
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/13 7:42 p.m.

Saw this on the norotors.com forum. Looks like a fun car! Would love to see it in person.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=17563.0

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/22/13 7:53 p.m.

That looks like a fun car. I wonder how hard it is to work on that engine.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/22/13 8:10 p.m.
Slippery wrote: That looks like a fun car. I wonder how hard it is to work on that engine.

Was about to say the same thing. At least since it's now an LS you really won't have to do anything for 100k miles besides oil changes.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/22/13 8:25 p.m.

Got to love people just flat out ignoring the CARB rules out here to the detriment of the rest of us that actually pay attention and build to the rules.

If that car is in SD like he claims and he lives here that thing is a rolling 10K $ ticket or impound.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/22/13 8:42 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Got to love people just flat out ignoring the CARB rules out here to the detriment of the rest of us that actually pay attention and build to the rules. If that car is in SD like he claims and he lives here that thing is a rolling 10K $ ticket or impound.

Not sure what the rules are, we don't even have emissions testing here in Florida. I always thought that as long as you use a newer engine than the chassis, then you were ok?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/22/13 9:00 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

San Diego with a Michigan plate screams military to me. My cousin had numerous vehicles that couldnt pass any states emissions standards when he was stationed at Camp Pendleton.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/22/13 9:21 p.m.

and yet that would create 1/10,000,000 of a percent of the emissions that Mongo would, and Mongo is legal.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/13 9:34 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Not sure what the rules are, we don't even have emissions testing here in Florida. I always thought that as long as you use a newer engine than the chassis, then you were ok?

Not quite that easy, unfortunately.

Love to see cars like this. The LS and Porsche trans have been mated time and time again in other applications, so it would have been RELATIVELY easy to put this together. I dig it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/22/13 10:10 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: and yet that would create 1/10,000,000 of a percent of the emissions that Mongo would, and Mongo is legal.

Don't get me wrong, my model A, and shoebox, has got to pollute 1000x more then this thing ever will mile per mile. But those of us that live here cannot build stuff like the above, and I really want to, and it vex's the hell out of me that someone can register a car out of state and get around it.

Military guys I can live with but man I wish that they would get them special California plates so the rest of us know its not something that is deliberately hidden from the state.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/22/13 10:31 p.m.

Meh, I vote just get rid of Cali's carb restrictions......seems to make more sense.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
9/23/13 2:38 a.m.

Where's the CARB failure on this car? I'm in KS so I don't deal with such issues, just curious what the problem is. I assume he's not running cats, what else is going on?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/23/13 6:40 a.m.

I followed his build and he has done a couple LS swaps. Ths one was pretty well done!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/23/13 7:46 a.m.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/ is all you need for the V8 conversions.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/23/13 8:39 a.m.

gorgeous.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/23/13 8:43 a.m.

My brain wants to hate this, but I just can't. I totaly dig it, got to find the old issue were GRM visited and drove the Renegade Hybrids LS911.

After reading the latest issue with the owner of the 308 I made the mistake of showing that to my wife. Her response (even after I told her it was a great story of how NOT to by a Ferrari, was 'Well I'm definitly not letting you buy a Ferrari after reading that. She has enough qualms about a potential future Boxster purchase, but a Corvette engined (The term LSx would have no meaning to her) could be a whole different matter. Hhhmmm

Keith Tanner
9/23/13 9:17 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to wearymicrobe: Where's the CARB failure on this car? I'm in KS so I don't deal with such issues, just curious what the problem is. I assume he's not running cats, what else is going on?

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

I doubt the headers and intake have CARB approval - although, given the costs of Porsche parts, someone might have spent the money there. The full OBD-II system has to remain functional. If it's an LS1, it might be older than the chassis so that could be a problem.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/23/13 9:43 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
pres589 wrote: In reply to wearymicrobe: Where's the CARB failure on this car? I'm in KS so I don't deal with such issues, just curious what the problem is. I assume he's not running cats, what else is going on?
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html I doubt the headers and intake have CARB approval - although, given the costs of Porsche parts, someone might have spent the money there. The full OBD-II system has to remain functional. If it's an LS1, it might be older than the chassis so that could be a problem.

Actually none original manufacturer motor would kill it instantly under strict interpretations of the rules. IE Honda motors in Acuras are OK. GM stuff shoved in a Porsche not cool. Though it is not enforced all that often unless you get a ref who likes to sniff his own farts.

Also the motor has to be newer by producion year then the car its going into, plus functional OBD II, plus fully CARB legal parts. I doubt that any CARB legal headers for the LS1 would fit in the back of a 911. Then you need to get factory CATS in the factory locations.

Don;t get me wrong the air out here is 100x better then it used to be, you could see the smog clouds above riverside when traveling from counties away. Still if they did some sort of limited mile thing for Hot Rodders I would be down. Or even if we were allowed to run cat's and get our cars smogged to some nominal level that would be cool as well.

Keith Tanner
9/23/13 10:00 a.m.

The CARB EO process is a whole lot more strict than a tailpipe test with a hot car. In fact, we've seen cars fail when brand new and stock.

I've spoken to some of the BAR refs, and they don't have a problem with different manufacturers. You can do it while following the rules strictly - but it's a lot more difficult with newer cars, and OBD-II makes it really challenging. As always, go to the source for your information.

It would be possible to come up with CARB-legal headers for an LS swap in a 911. Wouldn't be free, but it's possible. Same with the intake.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/13 11:02 a.m.
Slippery wrote: That looks like a fun car. I wonder how hard it is to work on that engine.
Car seller wrote: There is a TON of room in the engine bay on the sides, bottom, back and front. But the top is tight. To do head-work or remove the intake manifold would at a minimum require the engine to be dropped a few inches (3 mounts to lower the entire driveline). Spark plugs have a ton of room, oil changes are simple, etc.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/23/13 11:11 a.m.

From the build's blog. This is the owner/builders driveway complete with the sacraficial 996 and the donor Camaro. Some other crap in the way blocking the view!!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/23/13 4:51 p.m.

Yeah, he was threatening a LS9 swap for the lambo.

mw
mw Dork
9/24/13 7:54 p.m.

I just bought a 996 c2. I'm glad this one is a lot more than I paid or I would be kicking myself.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/24/13 9:00 p.m.

Must be nice to have that kinda cash

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/25/13 6:43 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: http://www.renegadehybrids.com/ is all you need for the V8 conversions.

There are other, more reputable companies out there that can get you set up. I'm not in the market for that car, but the RH kit would make me walk away.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
9/25/13 10:27 p.m.

While it may be a hassle for enthusiasts on occasion, everybody in LA and San Diego owes those guys big time. The air quality is miles better than it was in the not so distant past.

Also, I want this car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZECAq7StpudgxeNR7Mx5asQoz7hzyvw9rwgbJloVveM7ACqeLJewQDE02b4rWqux