Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/29/18 6:25 a.m.

This is one half of the two cars I'm selling in order to buy one replacement.  In short, selling my DD '13 Elantra and this to buy one nice sedan that the wife and I will share.  Link to CL add will be included, but here's a short summary:

Bought it in Feb 2017 as a weekend only car.  Had 123k miles when I bought it.  It was a one owner car, came from a dealer in Illinois.  I drove it a lot the first 3 or 4 months I had it, but then it's been mostly sitting in my garage since last June.

6spd manual, clutch feels terrific.  Runs great, engine makes no noises, no smoke, no leaks.  Trans shifts snick-snick crisp, but is a bit notchy in extremely cold mornings (I bought the fluid for a rear gear oil change, just never did it, so that will come with the car).  Steering feels fantastic.  Interior is in outstanding shape for 12 years and 125k miles.  Dash is pretty much perfect, seats are in really good condition.  They have some scratches on the bolster, but no dry rot, no cracks, no rips.  Power windows work, door locks, A/C works, heat.  Carpet in good shape, even has Miata floor mats.  Top goes up and down with ease.  It's a great driver.  Hop in it and go.  I'd feel comfortable driving it anywhere right now.

OK, on to the bad, and why it's cheaper than any GT Miata (or pretty much any trim level NC you'll find anywhere).  Biggest issue is rust.  The right side door sill is rusting.  You don't see it in the pictures with the door shut, but when it's open, it's clearly there.  I'd have to assume it came from clogged top drain.  I will be happy to send a picture to anyone truly interested in the car.  I disclosed it in the CL ad, but removed the close up picture because I had it in the ad initially and right away  got endless knuckle draggers saying "Uh, with the rust, I'll give you $1200 and an iPhone 3 in trade".  Forget it.  I disclosed it, anyone serious can come see it for themselves and we'll talk face to face.  Car is perfectly drivable as is, but let it be known the right sill is rusting.  There are a few other small blemishes on the body.  Nothing awful, but it's 12 years old and has 125k miles.  I've got pics of those for anyone who wants to see, I have nothing to hide.  It's about ready for tires.  You can drive it for now with the tires it has, but very shortly they'll be done.  Top is original...I think.  I only drove it in the rain once, as it was a sunny day only car.  The top didn't leak, but the trunk floor got wet.  Not a "problem", as the car drives and handles great, but know that the suspension is original.   I don't want to make the car sound worse than it is.  Runs great, drives great, interior is fantastic, but it needs some love.

I've got it at $5200 on CL, but will make a deal for a GRMer.  It's about as cheap of a solidly running and driving NC you'll find anywhere. 

My lovely Miata

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/18 7:06 a.m.

Well dang. That could be worth a trip to Georgia. I'll be honest, while it peaks my interest quite a bit, and is obviously a good deal, it would really have to fall into place for it to work out for me to make a trip down for it.

Definitely interested in pictures of the rust. Kinda wondering if it's out of the way enough to just strip and spray some rust reformer on and something close-ish in color to treat it and make it half decent looking. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/29/18 7:24 a.m.

You really can't see it at all when the door is closed.  It's on the sill/kick plate area.  The car is perfectly usable as it is, but I'd think you'd want to address it in some way, shape or form before it spreads. 

Shoot me your e-mail and I'll get you the picture...it's high res so you can zoom in super tight if you really want.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/18 7:33 a.m.

awsmith1686@ the googley mails.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/29/18 10:39 a.m.

That looks to be a great price on an NC. Love mine!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnE8CFxpD9wwHrAuoO6GHM629fMnCNtBFRbzaW77naSTconOnfnlNqoEo5COBKjG