EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/13 2:41 p.m.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4249593648.html

NMNA

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
12/19/13 6:02 a.m.

Run...run...run!!!

electrical issues on a v12 that has 2 separate ECU's? needs valve gaskets.

Beautiful highway chassis, but horrid engine. the 4.0 was far superior.

This...this calls for an offer of $1500 and an LS7

cdowd
cdowd Reader
12/19/13 8:49 a.m.

I have always thought those were beautiful cars. That one is probably a money pit though. something about nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/13 9:00 a.m.

Yea I wouldn't touch it. I just haven't ever seen one that cheap.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
12/19/13 10:41 a.m.

I drove an 840i at some fun speeds for an extended range. It was amazing how smooth that thing was.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
12/19/13 12:06 p.m.

White letter tires???

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/19/13 1:31 p.m.

Seller wrote: NEEDS FEW THINGS

Seller then wrote: car needs new valve cover gaskets,dash lights dont work,have short somewhere,needs new ball joints right side front,needs new control arm bushings,which i have,heater blower went out recently,needs new resister i think,anyway,minor stuff

That is awesome!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/19/13 1:38 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Hey... what's a few pixels between friends...

This probably isn't a bad car for a BMW tech to play with and flip, but for anyone who doesn't seriously know what they're doing - yeah... run away...

Although for $3600, it could be a fun hot-rod project... sell off a lot of the engine and electrical bits (which could probably pay for the car), drop in a LS1 and a hot-rod electrical harness... aftermarket guages and HVAC...

dyintorace
12/19/13 2:16 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Hey... what's a few pixels between friends...

Agreed. Funny what one person's perception is vs another.

As a data point, I sold a very nice condition 1997 840 (last year of production and the better 4.4L V8) earlier this year. I struggled to get the $9500 I eventually ended up with. No way in H-E-L-L I would pay $3500 for a 6 year older basketcase version.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 New Reader
12/20/13 9:04 a.m.

The guy was probably like me and thought, 'I will fix these issues and it will be ok,' but the repairs just kept snowballing. The price has to be so low because it has a major issue like a slipping trans (I'm assuming). I used to hate the styling but I like it now and it would be a good LS2 and TR6060 swap candidate.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
12/20/13 10:43 a.m.

I have always wanted a BMW 8-series, and that car is solidly in my "reasonable car" price range, but I shake just thinking about trying to work on that thing. No way. I would rather have the 840... or this for $2000 and then do an lsx swap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/20/13 10:48 a.m.

That's cheap enough that you wouldn't feel bad about ravaging it to make it work.

Nothing is sacred. I'd part that bitch out, then turn around and stuff a 2jz with a gigantic turbo in it.

Then.... go drifting or something.

dyintorace
12/20/13 8:08 p.m.

If I had lots of money to burn, I would have taken the M62 4.4L V8 and auto transmission out of the car and replaced it with the S62 V8 (from the e39 M5) and 6 speed transmission, ending up basically with my own M8. It's been done before and is a straight drop in.

I just didn't love the car enough.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/20/13 8:10 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: That's cheap enough that you wouldn't feel bad about ravaging it to make it work. Nothing is sacred. I'd part that bitch out, then turn around and stuff a 2jz with a gigantic turbo in it. Then.... go drifting or something.

I feel like to be truly sacrelicious you need something way archaic and not fancy. I'd say pre-smog big block with a blower, but that's no fun. I'm actually thinkin... like 7.3 powerstroke.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/20/13 8:18 p.m.

Heck the DK motors and the transmission is worth that in used parts.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/20/13 8:18 p.m.

Heck the DK motors and the transmission is worth that in used parts.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/23/13 8:38 a.m.

Run far far away from that thing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/24/13 8:19 a.m.

Something seems odd about the front bumper. Also the rocker trim goes from black to silver in some pictures... I still think these were cool looking cars though.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/24/13 11:40 a.m.

I have nasty dreams of an LS swapped 8-Series.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/24/13 3:32 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: I have nasty dreams of an LS swapped 8-Series.

Yep. If I had more room... and a bit more spare $ rolling around...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YpwwgqkSz2hcFmdjDLAO6wtvkS3aioNvQaeWziuDsuhgUchvP4R5xZdWODSQt4N