Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
6/3/14 8:30 a.m.

NMNA:

Bare bones roller with flares. A great start for a race car. I'm not sure of the value. I sold a very similar HP Bugeye roller about 16 years ago for $3K.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
6/3/14 8:32 a.m.

Was there supposed to be a link provided?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/3/14 8:55 a.m.

I think this is what he was trying to link to

I found it yesterday, too, but I didn't start a thread...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/3/14 11:13 a.m.

He is using the term "vintage" rather loosely. Yeah, it is an old car, but it wouldn't be eligible for vintage racing with those fender flares, etc.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/3/14 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

I think he's actually using the term vintage literally. It's a vintage race car. He didn't say it was eligible for any vintage racing. But I'm curious, since I saw many race cars just like that back in the day. Why wouldn't it be eligible in vintage racing?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/3/14 2:39 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Most vintage racing organizations use the SCCA period rules for production car racing, generally cut off at 1972. Fender flares and wider tires weren't allowed by the SCCA until much later.

Having said that, some supposedly vintage racing organizations have pretty much eliminated any restrictions on what you can have under the hood, but have kept rules restricting the look of the cars so they at least look like the cars did back in the day.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/3/14 2:49 p.m.

So all those flared production cars I saw in the mid to late 70's aren't eligible in vintage racing? Is that based on the year of the cars manufacture, or when it was made into a race car?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/3/14 3:09 p.m.

Year of manufacture. In some cases if a 1974 car is exactly like a 1972, it can be backdated and raced-- a 1972 MG Midget and MGB would be identical to the 1974 pre-rubber bumper models, for example. These are called "continuation" cars.

In some clubs and classes you can take a current vintage street car and prep it to the "old" specs and race it as a vintage racecar. In others, it had to have been raced "in the day" to be eligible.

This all varies considerably between clubs and classes, so YMMV.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/3/14 3:19 p.m.

So it would seem that this car was update sometime after 1972, correct? And as such, it kind of falls into a hole as it relates to vintage racing. But could it race in regular SCCA production racing?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/3/14 3:48 p.m.

I'm getting ready to put my buick v6 powered sprite on ebay. Really curious as to what it will bring.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
6/3/14 4:26 p.m.
RossD wrote: I think this is what he was trying to link to I found it yesterday, too, but I didn't start a thread...

Doh!!! Yeah, that's the link I intended to post. I think I have some sort of advanced age ADD.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/3/14 5:13 p.m.
Cotton wrote: I'm getting ready to put my buick v6 powered sprite on ebay. Really curious as to what it will bring.

V-6 powered Sprite? Why haven't I heard about this one? Details paleez..

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/3/14 6:59 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Basil Exposition: So it would seem that this car was update sometime after 1972, correct? And as such, it kind of falls into a hole as it relates to vintage racing. But could it race in regular SCCA production racing?

Correct.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/4/14 8:58 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Cotton wrote: I'm getting ready to put my buick v6 powered sprite on ebay. Really curious as to what it will bring.

Some of you may remember it. I bought it off a board member in 2008, but I bought it after only seeing pictures. Once I got it home I found I'd made a mistake because I was too tall to drive it. I should have cut my loses there, but decided to try and make it work. With the seat out, steering column raised to a crazy level, and my shoes off I could drive the little thing, then it started knocking lol.

So the engine was trashed....bearing basically melted and clutch gone, so I spent a lot on a good rebuild, new crank etc, new clutch, new fuel cell, wilwood master etc and at that point had blown the challenge budget and still couldn't fit in it well enough to race it. Sometimes I just get carried away I guess.

Anyway it's running and driving now but needs tlc like rear wheel cylinders, column re-done, limiting straps in the rear, fuel cell and battery moved and permanently mounted, but it is a blast to drive. The 3.8 is built with a cam, full roller rockers, kenne bell aluminum pulleys (these have got to be rare), new holley carb, edelbrock intake, etc. Trans is a T-10 with aluminum flywheel. I'm hoping to sell it as a runner, trade it for something else I don't need, or keep the drive train and sell it as a roller.

The picture is after pulling it out for the first time in months. It needs a bath bad. I plan to detail it and take better pictures before it hits ebay.

That's my 4x4 69 Suburban in the background.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
6/5/14 6:47 p.m.

I wish this was a Bugeye....

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/5/14 7:23 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
That's my 4x4 69 Suburban in the background.

Ohhhh, me likey that Suburban. I love it and I have never seen one that old before.

markwemple
markwemple New Reader
6/6/14 2:14 p.m.

Looks like it was a bugeye at some point. FWIW, I have a bunch of spridget stuff I'd love to sell CHEAP!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PBx6AY7gejiMp24Dolsq28QbF2KvUzvfqHQR9oJG6k1FfgQuzFpnqFa1mmllHCfr