jlphil
jlphil New Reader
11/8/18 8:30 p.m.

I've not been active on GRM for a few years, but thought someone here might dig this car. Long story short: This is a used racecar, originally raced by a guy in California, then one in Ohio. I love this car, use it occasionally for open track days, but want to build a new project and something has to go to make room in the garage. I've built three previous Factory Five Cobras, and am familiar with them mechanically. This one is built tight and ready to go. it is presently legal for SCCA or NASA competition, although I'm not familiar with the specifics of classification. You can use it like I do, for fantastic track day fun, very reliable and safe if you use your head. I've been preparing to street it, have got a valid title and lights, turn signals, and horn, but never put plates on it yet. I don't think you could get into a streetable Factory Five any cheaper than this. Here are some photos, and my detailed ad description.  There is a photo album of this car at FFR Pics If more info is needed, text me at 561-252-nine five five five, or email at jlphil@hotmail.com.

I'm asking $21,000, no trades 'cause I want to build my own replacement project. 

Thanks for looking,  John Phillips

BASIC SPECS: 

Chassis: F5R1005204

0 miles shown, no working odometer

5.0 Windsor Ford V8 with Trick Flow Twisted Wedge cylinder heads, intake and stage 1 roller cam, grind TFS-51403001 and 24 lb. fuel injectors

T5 5 speed manual transmission

Short shifter kit

FFR Challenge Car side pipe mufflers

FFR Challenge Car Koni shock absorbers  

Coil springs (750 front, 400 rear)

Ford 8.8" 3.27 Trac-Loc differential with 3 link system

Kirkey intermediate road racing seat

Cool-Suit removable cooler, wired and hoses installed

G-Force racing cam-lock 5-point seat belts

Fuel Safe fuel cell

17x10" wheels and Toyo Proxes RR 255/40ZR17 tires

Wilwood brake and clutch pedal box, master cylinders and balance bar

RLC GPS data recorder /lap timer /speedometer

Model: FFR Challenge Series Cobra Mark II Roadster

HISTORY: This 2004 FFR Challenge Series Cobra Roadster was originally built and raced in California, with NASA logbook to show activity. It was then sold to its next owner in Ohio, who updated the car to current FFR Challenge specs, including a professional engine rebuild and upgrade to new FFR specs. He continued to race the car, as also noted in the NASA logbook. The car was bought by a Florida driver about 4 years ago, and run in several local open track events, but no wheel-to-wheel racing events. I purchased the car from its Florida owner, a personal friend and fellow FFR enthusiast,  2 1/2 years ago. I have run the car in approximately a dozen open track events during my ownership, at Sebring, PBIR, and Homestead road courses. I am not a wheel-to-wheel racer and have not competed with the car in that way.

Over its life the car has been maintained in ready to race condition. 

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION:  Modifications done by the previous Ohio owner brought the car up to current FFR Challenge Series performance improvement specifications. These include the FFR-approved upgrade package adding Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, intake manifold and valve covers, stage 1 roller cam, 70mm throttle body and 24lbs fuel injectors,with a set of Ford Motorsports shorty exhaust headers and FFR Challenge Series side mufflers.

The engine went through a complete rebuild in 2012 by the legendary drag racer “Ohio George “ Montgomery’s Speed Shop in Dayton Ohio, to add the above performance improvement kit, with related new internal parts. (Check out his website at:  Ohio George Engine Builder

This engine is built right, no leaks or problems.

The car is equipped with a multi row aluminum radiator and  electric fan. A Ford Motorsports T-5 transmission is used per Challenge Series rules. A bell housing safety blanket is provided to protect from clutch and fly wheel problems. A 9 quart, Milodon (I think) road racing oil pan is installed to eliminate engine oil starvation during race conditions. An Allstar oil catch can is installed to accumulate oil vapor, with a similar catch can for coolant overflow. A K&N-type engine air filter is also installed.

RUNNING GEAR: The car has manual hydraulic Ford disc brakes per the Challenge Series rules with Hawk performance brake pads and stainless steel braided brake lines on all four wheels. Front rotors are 12" and rears are 9.5”, with Cobra spec calipers at all four wheels. 17x10" aluminum wheels are fitted with almost-new Toyo Proxes RR 255/40ZR17 tires that have seen several track days.

Front suspension includes unequal length competition tubular upper and lower front A-arms and ball joints. The rear suspension is a competition FFR special 3 link system including a Ford Motorsports 8.8" differential with 3.27 gears and Trac-Loc. FFR Challenge Series gas filled Koni shocks and coil springs are used all around.

INTERIOR:  The car interior is race car utilitarian, using a full FFR Challenge Series safety cage, aluminum interior panels, a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat and G-Force competition 5 point cam lock seat belts. The steering wheel has a quick release system to facilitate entry and exit. Wilwood brake and clutch pedal system, as well as dual brake reservoirs are provided. A full complement of gauges are provided by Auto-Meter. An RLC Data Recorder/speedometer/ GPS unit is also installed atop the cowl, in the driver’s line of vision. Carpet kits are available for covering the interior aluminum panels if desired, for a more refined interior finish.

A fire suppression system covers the driver’s compartment, engine compartment and the fuel cell area. This system is actuated by a single switch in the cockpit. The bottle is mounted in the passenger compartment. An engine and battery safety cut off switch is also located on the dashboard. A Wildwood brake balance adjuster is also located in the cockpit for on track chassis tuning. The roll cage has been reinforced with extra bars at the rear hoop, and a forward-facing bar bracing the roll hoop to the forward dashboard tube. There is no passenger seat installed now, but one could be placed if the extra bracing tube was removed from the passenger area.

The battery is located in the trunk for better weight distribution. The trunk area is also the location of the a Fuel Safe fuel cell and electric fuel pump.

BODY: The bodywork is reinforced fiberglass, typical race and track car. Minor scratches and chips from active track racing are present. This is not a show car. The FFR Challenge Series bodies come as a two piece body which splits at the cockpit forming a front body half and a rear body half. This allows for a quick removal of either body half for service or a quick system check at the track. Front and rear flat tow hooks are provided to comply with race and track day safety towing requirements. Doors are bolted shut.

TITLED, STREETABLE: This car NOW has a valid Florida title, registered by the State as a 1965 FFRI. It is eligible for a street car license. The car had only been used as a race car and a track day car, and was never titled until I bought it and went through the intricate process of obtaining a valid Florida title. This has been successfully accomplished, and I have the title in hand. The title can be transferred to the new owner’s state as a 1965 model automobile.

I intended to license the car for street use, and have installed turn signals, full-time running lights, and a horn. Headlights are installed and controlled by a dash switch. The new owner may wish to install a standard full-width Cobra windshield instead of the short race windshield presently in place. (I was going to use a visored helmet n the street). If desired, a full-width windshield is readily available from a variety of accessory vendors, and mounting locations for such a windshield are already in place on the car. 

DOCUMENTS: It is offered for sale with some receipts from the previous owner, the NASA racing logbook dating back to the original owner, the original Factory Five Racing MSO, and a valid Florida title.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/18 1:26 p.m.

This is so hot.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/18 2:21 p.m.

In reply to jlphil :

Nice! Even the right color! 

John, we've missed you at the Challenges lately.

jlphil
jlphil New Reader
11/9/18 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Danny Shields :

Hey Danny Shields! My favorite car memories were from judging at the Challenge all those years. Life takes you away from things you love sometimes, I've been playing here on the track, now gotta build again, then go autocross with all the lessons you taught me!

jlphil
jlphil New Reader
11/20/18 11:52 a.m.

SALE PENDING Thanks GRM for the listing space, and thanks everyone who contacted me about the car. John Phillips

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hJ5LKhIRItM3QZlCCP7u3oF28CwEAdm2QDhknhomjkFTXch5eyfH3ii75OjGxtzp