1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/2/14 6:17 a.m.

Hey guys,

I don't really want to do this, but I think time has come to sell my most loved vehicle in my fleet. I have owned it close to 10 years now, and bout it from the original owner. I have to go out to the garage to get the exact mileage, but last I remember is that it is around 93k miles. It is on original Spark Yellow (YU) paint with a few areas of slight concern. The worst being a spot on the passengers side door that was damaged before I bought it, but hasn't worsened in my ownership. The interior is in near mint condition, with no cracks on the dash(rare for the early models with the dash speaker grille). The seats were re covered by the original owner, but done so tastefully. He included the factory covers which had a slight separation on the drivers bolster which I had repaired a few years ago, but haven't got around to changing out. The interior is the highly sought after black by the way.

The car was one of the earliest ones in MA as it was delivered in July or August of 1978. The original owner whom I bought it from pr-ordered it in Jan/Feb, and I have the paperwork to prove it. The early cars mostly came with little options on them as Mazda found it easier to meet the demand by building the simpler models to get them moving. Mine is the top spec GS, but lacks the sunroof, and A/C. I never missed either to be honest with you as the lack of A/C makes the engine bay simpler, and the lack of the sunroof gives slightly better head room.

Being an early car it has a few quirks. Most notably being the fact that the hood prop rod in on the passengers side of the car. Not a huge deal, but many early customers complained about it and Mazda made a mid model year change. Also of note is the lack of a passengers side mirror, no door pockets, the dash speaker grille(without a speaker), coin holder slots that were made for Japanese coins, volume control on the radio being on the right instead of the left, and dark gray door handles, and mirror coating. Many would think some of these things are a pain in the ass, but I find them charming especially the hood prop rod. You would have thought that after 10 years of selling cars in America that Mazda wouldn't over look something like that, but they did.

The car is sitting on some older Falzen Azenis 205/50-15 tires that have a fair amount of tread still, but they are old, so maybe you should replace them. The wheels are some period correct WEDS Auto Bahn wheels that while they look nice from a distance do need refinishing. It's very rare to have wheels in a 15" size with the proper bolt pattern that Mazda used. I guess I could include a complete set of 83 Limited Edition 14" wheels with the sale as well or we could negotiate them if need be. The factory alloys are included as well. I also have a complete set of rare Almex alloys that some of the southern US dealers got for use on the Spark Yellow cars. They were redone by someone before me, and not very well, but from a distance they look nice, and always looked great on the yellow cars.

I had the engine rebuilt by an Aussie friend of mine about 4 years ago around 85k miles. The engine is the factory unit, but we freshened it up as the oil control seals had dried up over the years, and the engine would smoke from time to time. It always ran great, and still does, but no more smoke. The exhaust on the car is a full racing beat streetport system that is probably 15+ years old now as I had it on my 83 RX-7 first, and now this car. It is in great shape, and sounds/performs awesome. The carb on the car is a modified factory Nikki carb. It was modified by Paul Yaw in Arizona years and years ago when he did carb work. I also had this on my 83 RX-7, and now this car. It lacks a choke, but could be added. Actually the choke plate is there, but the linkage was removed so it's a pretty straight forward repair.

Over the past few years I have put very little miles on it, but still change the oil twice a year even though I'm lucky to put 1k+ miles on it. I know I will regret selling it as it is my favorite, and I want to pass it on to my kids, but I think it is time financially. The paint isn't perfect, but it is original, and the undercarriage is factory mint. The brakes work great for a simple wedge style system, but every now and the you will have to re-adjust the rear shoes as they are not self adjusting like modern cars. They always work, but sometimes the pedal travels longer than normal, but with a quick adjustment the pedal comes back.

Anyway I am rambling here. I would like $10,000 or best offer for the car with the spare wheels. I also have bins full of paperwork, and magazines from back in the day. The original owner was crazy about paperwork, so I have a a lot from his ownership not so much from mine(kids/busy life). I have a clean title in my name as well as a copy of the original 1978 title from the original owner. The car is located in my garage in Carver, MA 0230, and I can work with a buyer on helping with shipping as I am well versed in doing this.

I will upload more pics later today or tomorrow.

I can be contacted via PM here or at cdirado837@gmail.com

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/2/14 6:40 a.m.

Sad to see you let it go.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/2/14 2:29 p.m.

Sad to lose it. It really is the best car I have ever owned, and the one I care the most about. The fact that I have owned my REPU longer still doesn't sway the fact that I like the RX-7 way more. I often forget how much I like it until I drive it again, and then I remember. It will sorely be missed.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/2/14 6:23 p.m.

Pic of it with 83 Limited Edition wheels, and 80's tastic rear louvers:

Pic of engine bay. It's a few years old, and much cleaner now. Just what I have on the computer now:

Engine bay showing Racing Beat header with Jett Hott coatings 2000 degree coating:

Rear with louvers:

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/2/14 6:25 p.m.

Steering wheel, and gauge cluster:

Centre stack, and shifter(missing shift pattern is on there now:

saruken
saruken New Reader
10/2/14 7:15 p.m.

One of the best looking steering wheels ever, imo. Classic, svelte, simple. Kind of like the whole design of the car. I would love to own one of these one days but $10k is out of my range for now. GLWS man.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/2/14 8:56 p.m.

What's the big deal with the prop rod on the pass side? I've never paid attention, seems to me I've seen plenty on the left side on cars over the years.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/2/14 9:00 p.m.

It really isn't a big deal to me, but many complained that you had to walk over to the other side of the car to prop the hood. Then back over to the drivers side to check the oil, and then back to the passengers side to lower the prop rod and close the hood. I don't worry about it and just rest the hood on my shoulder when checking the oil, but I can see people complaining.

revhard
revhard New Reader
10/2/14 9:49 p.m.

Nice Rx7, looks like its held up well over time. You wouldnt consider selling the Weds separately, would you?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/2/14 9:49 p.m.

Not a chance.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/14 10:15 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: What's the big deal with the prop rod on the pass side? I've never paid attention, seems to me I've seen plenty on the left side on cars over the years.

The hood on these opens towards the front, so you have to walk around the car.

I believe my mom's '80 Civic was that way also, never bothered me.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/14 10:41 p.m.

I need a moment alone....

That said, GLWS man, That is by far one of the cleanest SA's I've seen. The prospect of house shopping early next year kills any thoughts of dropping 10k on a beauty like this.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
10/3/14 7:55 a.m.

I've seen this car in person and if anything it's cleaner than the photos suggest.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/3/14 3:47 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I've seen this car in person and if anything it's cleaner than the photos suggest.

As have I.

I can't believe you are selling it. Wow.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/3/14 4:02 p.m.

Well so far I am only attempting to sell it. No bites yet.

-C

markwemple
markwemple Reader
10/3/14 4:13 p.m.

This is definitely a special interest car. You have to be a rotary fan for this. (not saying its bad as I have a spec7) (although, most spec7 guys call 'em pigs so....) Best of luck. Extremely clean

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/3/14 5:57 p.m.

Might be time for some hi rez photos, then list it on ebay with a 10k reserve. Bigger audience with more exposure.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/3/14 6:58 p.m.
markwemple wrote: This is definitely a special interest car. You have to be a rotary fan for this. (not saying its bad as I have a spec7) (although, most spec7 guys call 'em pigs so....) Best of luck. Extremely clean

Why do they call 'em pigs? I can think of many things to call them after owning so many over the years, but a pig doesn't come to mind.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/3/14 7:00 p.m.

By the way I took it out briefly to get an inspection sticker this afternoon, and I really have no idea why I am selling this. Didn't drive it long, but after 2 months of no use I quickly remembered why I love this car.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/3/14 10:13 p.m.

Problem solved. Drive it more!

markwemple
markwemple Reader
10/3/14 10:40 p.m.

Do some tracking with them. Their handling isn't that great. Honestly. A stock miata is much faster through the corners.

Mazdax605 wrote:
markwemple wrote: This is definitely a special interest car. You have to be a rotary fan for this. (not saying its bad as I have a spec7) (although, most spec7 guys call 'em pigs so....) Best of luck. Extremely clean
Why do they call 'em pigs? I can think of many things to call them after owning so many over the years, but a pig doesn't come to mind.
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/3/14 11:43 p.m.

I tracked my 83, it didn't seem too bad to me. It was way more car than I had the talent for.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
10/4/14 7:03 a.m.

Chris, there is a gathering of Austin Healeys at the Plymouth Rock today. Come on over. I'll drive one of the 8s, and you can drive the RX7. Healey guys have money. Maybe you can persuade one of them into a more modern classic sports car. You know how it is at these car shows. The cool stuff is usually in the parking lot.

markwemple
markwemple Reader
10/4/14 8:06 a.m.

It isn't bad. It's early 70's tech in a sporty body. It simply looks faster than it is

markwemple
markwemple Reader
10/4/14 8:07 a.m.

You should join the spec7 group and post it there along with the scca

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yp62QdGo4FB6Y3C1smdoCTpJ4vBKUTyZqcCNsLUhooVx3Wlp0mAYdHuqGnJtYhat