Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/23/18 11:13 a.m.

Hey guys,

I bought this 2000 Montero from a guy in CO about a month and a half ago because I've wanted one of these blister fender Montero's for a few years now. Well this one is in good shape, and ticks all of the right boxes, but I just don't feel comfortable in it. It's sad because I love almost everything about it, but driving it turns me off. I just can't get comfortable in it.

It is originally from AZ, and then CO so it has no rust aside from some surface stuff on the ARB bush bumper, and the homemade rock sliders. Both can be fixed with some elbow grease and a rattle can. The paint is solid, but has clear coat issues on the the top facing surfaces. It is Sudan Beige in color, or gold for the unwashed masses.

It is a  base model so no leather, or power seats, but the good news is you can easily swap in the factory bouncy seat bases that some Gen 2 Montero's came with, and the leather isn't cracked because it isn't there. For the record the 98-00 trucks are considered gen 2.5's. These have the engines of the early gen 3 trucks, but the frames, and 4wd system of the gen 2 trucks. The 00 was the last year of the Body-on-frame Montero. In 98-99 you could get a factory rear air locker, but not in 00. Good news is this one has an ARB rear air locker, to go along with the front air locker. Couple these with the factory Super-select 4wd system with its center diff lock, and you have a capable 4wd system, that uses different settings on the ABS system depending on the transfer case setting. Aftermarket Aisin manual hubs are equipped too. Not the cheap Chinese knock offs but the real thing. This is a real honest to goodness old school full frame SUV.

It is equipped with a 3.5 litre V6, and 4 speed OD automatic transmission. 166k miles. Ice cold A/C, cruise, tilt, power widows, and door locks(passenger side door lock acts funny), aftermarket ASC glass moonroof w/auto close feature, factory digital compass, and outside thermometer, voltmeter, and oil pressure gauge in center pod. Old fashioned HVAC system with cables and such, nothing electronic with that stuff. Armrests at all outer seating positions. Option for third row seating, but seats are missing, but readily available if needed. Kinda crappy aftermarket stereo that works, but is older. I replaced the broken power antenna with a retractable manual unit for better reception. All systems work aside from the keyless entry that was removed with the security system that was acting funny. Rear tailgate lock doesn't always lock with the rest of the car, and the passengers side lock drops back down after pressing the unlock button, so you have to do a bit of a dance with it. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd share. Outside mirrors were very shaky, but I repaired that. Rear view mirror had a camera wired to it but it doesn't work, so I removed it, and put a stock mirror in its place. The wiring , and mirror will be included if you feel up to getting it to work. Also has Thule gutter mount roof racks. Trailer hitch(4k lbs), and wiring included. Full factory tool kit in rear door, and also the factory corded flashlight as well. Rear door hinges have been replaced.

I have stacks of receipts of lots of important stuff done to the truck including the timing belt, and suspension stuff. A lot of it was done many years ago, but not many miles ago. I did all new front rotors(old were warped), pads, and bearings on it last month. Everything re-greased, and inspected. I also changed the oil and filter, and moved the cupped front tires to the rear. Could use an alignment. Tires are fairly new, and have plenty of tread on all 5. 31"x10.5"x15" on all 5 factory alloy wheels. Huge 9.5 Ring and pinion in the rear. Old Man Emu lift springs in the rear, and heavy duty OME shocks all around. Super low 3.15:1 low range gears swapped in the transfer case. ARB front brush bumper ready for a winch, and homemade rock sliders that aren't great, but not terrible either. Snorkel mounted on passengers side, and plumbed into the factory air box. Also I replaced the broken left rear door handle with a cheap Chinese eBay unit, that works, but is much brighter than the sun faded factory units. Interior lights have been upgraded to LED's by the previous owner.

Biggest issues are the need for an alignment, and the valve covers weep. I've not seen a drip of oil on my driveway, but you can smell oil burning after driving it, and see it wet around the valve covers/exhaust manifold. It isn't a huge expense to get the valve covers, but it is a bit of a pain to do the job as the entire upper intake has to come off. Might be a good time to do plugs and wires as well as the common rear cam seals that leak on these engines. Those cam seals are a bitch to do on their own, but with the valve covers off it is much more simple.

Guys on the Montero FB page, and Expedition Portal say that re-gearing these is essential once you go to large tires, but I feel with the 31's it is plenty powerful, and doesn't feel bogged down at all, but I'm at sea level, and flatland here in Eastern MA, so YMMV. The setup will take 35's allegedly, but I'm happy with the 31's.

Pics can be seen here for now, but I'll add more soon. Project Montero

Any questions you can PM me or text/call: Seven-Eight-Juan, 9-Juan-Zero, Fiver-Tres-Juan-9. Ask for Chris

Located in South-eastern MA (02330), and I will assist anyone who might want to get it shipped. It cost me $1300 to ship it from CO to MA. Asking $5000 OBO.

TL/DR:  Old school body on frame Montero with 166k miles, and rust free, $5k OBO. Needs little things.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/23/18 11:49 a.m.

Also forgot to mention interested in trades for interesting cars, trucks, etc. Looking for a car for my 16 year old son. Would prefer to just sell it, but open to options. 

Rover4
Rover4
8/24/18 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

txt or call me, i'm interested, 330-284-3902, J

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/24/18 3:26 p.m.

Bump

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/26/18 7:14 a.m.