RossD UltimaDork
April 15, 2016 10:13 a.m.

And it's not even a 911!?!?

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5500722765.html

Rare euro spec 1966 Porsche 912 for sale. Wide body, RARE bbs factory wheels and e nardi steering wheel. Needs restoration, may not have matching motor. $9,995 contact at 815-9eightzero-593two

bentwrench Dork
April 15, 2016 10:20 a.m.

That looks like a parts car and a single port VW motor...

I always laugh when someone says RARE in an ad.

It usually means it would be rare for someone to pay the over the top price you are asking for a POS.

Tyler H SuperDork
April 15, 2016 10:28 a.m.

If it hadn't been updated, it would have sold for 2x that price already.

BrokenYugo UltimaDork
April 15, 2016 10:30 a.m.

Didn't the 912 used to be the cheap one nobody wanted?

BoxheadTim UltimaDork
April 15, 2016 10:32 a.m.

I don't think it's that overpriced if it doesn't have a lot of structural rust. Although given the photos and the location I'd expect the underside to be rather crispy. Assuming the instruments are original, a five gauge 912 is rarer that the 3 gauge ones.

The big issue is that it's been converted to an Impact Bumper car, which pretty much makes it hot rod (I nearly typed hot rot, which kinda seems appropriate) material only. Early, SWB 912s are worth a pretty penny these days, but converting this one back to a long hood without using fibreglass would most likely be prohibitively expensive.

BoxheadTim UltimaDork
April 15, 2016 10:33 a.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away. These days, they're not exactly cheap anymore if they're in good nick.

DrBoost UltimaDork
April 15, 2016 11:03 a.m.

My buddy just bought a 912 chassis, 1967 I think. No drivetrain, no suspension, no interior, some body damage, and some rust. He picked it up from the JY for $250 and sold it for $4,000.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
April 15, 2016 3:33 p.m.

I swear rust makes 911s worth more

spitfirebill UltimaDork
April 16, 2016 1:12 p.m.

Also says no title.

Cotton UberDork
April 16, 2016 2:05 p.m.

I don't think the price is too horrible in this market.

turtl631 Reader
April 18, 2016 6:25 p.m.

Once upon a time I wanted an AC 911. I followed Mazdeuce's thread about his 964 closely and that seemed like a nice underappreciated model to pick up. Fast forward to now and uhh, no thanks.

WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
April 19, 2016 11:44 a.m.

I missed the boat on 930 generation turbos......saw a few in the teens briefly, now they're 3-5 times that.

April 19, 2016 11:52 a.m.

Well you can't see through the floors yet. Can't be that bad right?

oldtin PowerDork
April 19, 2016 12:33 p.m.

A concourse 66 912 is a $60,000 - $70,000 car - so yeah, a crusty one at 10k sounds about like a market price. It would have been a $15,000 car if they hadn't changed it to rubber bumpers.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
April 19, 2016 2:45 p.m.

This is a weird one as not even the dash looks right. That's a later dash. I'd really want to see the VIN in person. I'd also want to measure the wheel base as that looks wrong too. And the engine air cleaner assembly is a dead give away to the fact that its a VW engine. A 912 has twin solexs, just like a 356. Its essentially a de-tuned SC engine (90 vs 95 bhp).

WilD HalfDork
April 20, 2016 1:07 p.m.

This is less $$$$. Also less of a complete car.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
April 20, 2016 1:28 p.m.

This really is getting stupid. How can anyone think they can put that thing together and spend less than a complete car?

Woody MegaDork
April 20, 2016 2:53 p.m.

I think that's a gray market 1976 912E with flares, a spoiler and a VW engine.

oldtin PowerDork
April 20, 2016 3:26 p.m.
Woody wrote: I think that's a gray market 1976 912E with flares, a spoiler and a VW engine.

That makes more sense with the dash and bumpers.

It's wild how fast the prices rolled up but there's plenty of examples of it happening to other cars. My 20/20 hindsight is a little painful at letting go of a solid 3.2 targa at about this price

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
April 20, 2016 4:42 p.m.

I agree that it could be typo on the 66 instead of the 1 year 76 but that car still leaves a lot of questions and a 76 would have a type 4 engine.

chandlerGTi UberDork
April 20, 2016 5:16 p.m.
WilD wrote: This is less $$$$. Also less of a complete car.

Pretty sure I went and looked at this car as a complete roller in a back yard in Detroit seven or eight years ago. It was $3500 and I passed....

Doh!

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
April 20, 2016 5:29 p.m.

Just think how much you'd have to spend to make it a roller

turtl631 Reader
April 22, 2016 9:59 p.m.

Why exactly did these all skyrocket so suddenly? I heard a lot left the States during the recession so supply dropped... True?

Woody MegaDork
April 23, 2016 6:18 a.m.

There's a local dealer that was sending cars back to Germany for a while, but I don't think it made a huge dent in the supply.

I think the whole R-Gruppe thing played into it, as well as all the hype over Magnus Walker. These cars aren't rare, but they aren't exactly plentiful either. The long nose cars have been rusting away for a long time. I think that all these things came together to create a buying frenzy.

chandlerGTi UberDork
April 23, 2016 9:00 a.m.

The prices seem to be coming down a little bit, there are good 911 projects filtering through pelican +/- 15k which is a much better value than these pieces together cars at 6-12k. For awhile there a project(read not perfect) SC was 20k which is just outrageous for these...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

1 day ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

1 day ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

1 day ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

1 day ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

2 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

2 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

2 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

3 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

3 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ulLMg5YFD1wwrxMqTcAyouXHujbiCArB