1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/18 11:20 p.m.

Five garages and two carports, plus a bit less than 4 acres, to be precise. They come with an 04 McMansion as well (no historic home unfortunately) but I figured this mob here is more interested in the garages.

One of the garages is tall enough to fit a two post lift in, too. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/18 4:56 a.m.

Score! 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/18 6:41 a.m.

Congratulations!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/20/18 6:54 a.m.

But you live in NV?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
11/20/18 7:01 a.m.

All the garages! 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/20/18 7:09 a.m.

Five separate garages?! How big are they?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/18 8:55 a.m.

It is an odd phenomena that I have noticed in WV...  Wealth or status or something seems to be judged by how many small buildings you have on your land.  Seems that building count means something.  Maybe more than sqft count.   

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 8:56 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

But you live in NV?

Not much longer. That's where the McMansion comes in.

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 9:07 a.m.
dculberson said:

Five separate garages?! How big are they?

The house itself has a slightly oversized two-car garage on the main floor and a single car garage in the "basement" that was part of an unfinished mother-in-law suite.

Then there is a separate garage that has two stalls, one with an RV door. That building is oversized and looks like it's big enough for an RV, and more importantly tall enough for a lift. One of the two stalls currently has a waste wood burner in it as well that can supply backup heat for the house, but if I eyeballed it correctly, there is enough space to put the race car in front of it without the race car melting. The building also has a third, open stall with a gravel floor that is currently used for yard equipment. As it is "only" missing a garage door and a floor, I'm thinking about having a concrete floor installed in this stall and a door, which gives me another garage. I suspect I'll have to have part of the garage floor redone to install a lift so I figured I'll make use of the fact that I'll have to have a concrete crew out anyway. And there is a car port next to the separate garage building as well.

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 9:09 a.m.
John Welsh said:

It is an odd phenomena that I have noticed in WV...  Wealth or status or something seems to be judged by how many small buildings you have on your land.  Seems that building count means something.  Maybe more than sqft count.   

Yeah, I've seen that with some of the larger properties we looked at. Like house, barn, two log cabins from the 1800s and a separate mini garage for the lawn tractor.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/20/18 1:02 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
spitfirebill said:

But you live in NV?

Not much longer. That's where the McMansion comes in.

Where abouts in WV.  My daughter left the Charleston area of WV a year so ago.  Parts of the state are beautiful.  Other parts not so much.       

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 1:09 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Berkeley Springs, WV (in the WV panhandle). We think it's beautiful up there. Well, at least it's green .

We really had our heart set on a historic home in Summit Point that was in pushing distance from the racetrack, until we found out that the "high speed Internet" down there was 3 Mb/s DSL frown. Then our realtor found this modern place in Berkeley Springs with all its garages and went "you need to check this out".

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/20/18 1:27 p.m.

So you bought the perfect house, AND it’s in Berkeley Springs??

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/18 1:37 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

i heard he's getting into karting.   Berkeley springs!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/20/18 1:43 p.m.

Population 624 and its the county seat.  Sounds like my kind of place and looks like a lot of interesting things to do in the area.     

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 1:47 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Very punny.

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 1:52 p.m.
SVreX said:

So you bought the perfect house, AND it’s in Berkeley Springs??

Well, it's not the perfect house. The perfect one would've been the house in Summit Point with fast Internet and the same number of garages. But this one is good enough and I'm willing to ignore the McMansioness of it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/18 1:54 p.m.

Not too far from me! (Even though I'm two states away.) I've considered WV as it's not a terribly far move, and has some beautiful property, tending towards cheap too. I do like Waynesboro though. 

BoxheadTim
11/20/18 1:54 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

Population 624 and its the county seat.  Sounds like my kind of place and looks like a lot of interesting things to do in the area.     

It feels bigger than that - I think 640-ish might be the size of the actual town's population. The house has a Berkeley Springs zip code but is a bit outside on what I think used to be farmland.

But yeah, it's tiny compared to Carson City, NV.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
11/20/18 5:49 p.m.

All you garages are belong to us.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/18 9:19 a.m.

I have only been in WV once (driving through does not count) and I found the people nice enough in the Chester area. As you said though, beautiful country.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/21/18 9:31 a.m.

I've been through Berkeley Springs a few times, and every time it makes me laugh

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/18 9:45 a.m.

Nice! Can never have too much garage space. SWMBO always wonders why I yell "F*** Springs!" every time we drive past a road sign for Berkeley Springs cheeky

That's probably within 1.5 hrs of me as well. You should have plenty of motorsports activity within reasonable driving distance, and if that's not enough to keep you busy plenty of outdoors activities as well. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/21/18 10:30 a.m.

Hagerstown is not far away. Most of the panhandle seem to think they are part of either va or md. :shrug:

It’s still wv. 

I work in Charleston and that’s enough for me to gtfoh....

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/21/18 3:55 p.m.

I spent my childhood summers in Berkeley springs, it wasn't near as developed as it is now but it's pretty scenic. The Potomac overlook never got old. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dqebuKIF1mu45XLKmSto6i2j3P6wYgDCXCNIoHxcLbr1WMbSUf3fkBcQQBnxYt1e