davral64
davral64 New Reader
7/2/18 11:55 p.m.

Moving from Australia back to NC in August and I've been searching around for used cars but most of the sites I've hit aren't all that great.  Carmax only sells normal-people cars and they seem a bit high.  Craigslist is hit and miss but the best so far and ebay is fine too.  Is there anyplace else for people with out proclivity?

I'm looking for a BMW M Roadster or Z3 any year or a Miata 2000-2008 or a 350-370Z nothing but manual xmission.  The car's going to be a daily driver so, you know, it's gotta start, run and stop while not exploding or whatnot.  I'm not interested in Mustangs, Cameros or Porsches.  Well, I'm interested in Porsches but my practical side says their too expensive to maintain.  My practical side also says no to new cars because the first shopping trolley that hits it will make me cry and I look funny when I cry.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Dave

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/3/18 5:21 a.m.

The two fine  magazines that Host this website have classifieds that have some interesting cars. A good website is also bring a trailer.

Torkel
Torkel New Reader
7/3/18 6:14 a.m.

The Boxsters has fallen pretty low in market value. You get a lot of fun car for your money these days if you consider one of those.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
7/3/18 7:00 a.m.
davral64 said:

Moving from Australia back to NC in August and I've been searching around for used cars but most of the sites I've hit aren't all that great.  Carmax only sells normal-people cars and they seem a bit high.  Craigslist is hit and miss but the best so far and ebay is fine too.  Is there anyplace else for people with out proclivity?

I'm looking for a BMW M Roadster or Z3 any year or a Miata 2000-2008 or a 350-370Z nothing but manual xmission.  The car's going to be a daily driver so, you know, it's gotta start, run and stop while not exploding or whatnot.  I'm not interested in Mustangs, Cameros or Porsches.  Well, I'm interested in Porsches but my practical side says their too expensive to maintain.  My practical side also says no to new cars because the first shopping trolley that hits it will make me cry and I look funny when I cry.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Dave

Hey man, I am in the Raleigh area hit me up if you need help. The best in my experience is to use searchtempest, when it asks you to go to autotempest say no. This will search all the craigslists around. Second to that for newer stuff I think Car Guru is good for getting ballpark numbers, and finally I have found quite a few of my best deals on Facebook Marketplace, sellers there don't seem to know enough to post elsewhere or don't care?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/3/18 10:03 a.m.

The big US used car shopping sites are... 

Autotrader.com

Cars.com

Cargurus.com

All will allow you to search a radius from a zip code. All will allow you to sort by manual transmission. 

These sites will be 90% dealer listing but will be good for what you want to buy. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/18 6:13 p.m.

987.1 Cayman S. Reliable and fun. 

davral64
davral64 New Reader
7/4/18 1:00 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Awesome Thanks!  I can't wait to get back to VIR!!!!

davral64
davral64 New Reader
7/4/18 1:03 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

Yep they are and I am.  

davral64
davral64 New Reader
7/4/18 1:04 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I guess I'll broaden my horizons a little and throw the Boxster and Cayman in the mix too.  Thanks

MGLexx
MGLexx
7/16/18 5:24 p.m.

I have a 99 Z3 M that just had new brakes and a new clutch. Service records. 96k milesLocated in southern California if you are up for a drive or it can be shipped. $12,500 Larry 619 228 5694

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h57GhQPtLzUKHwlpV2QparTNS17uPDjCRlseJ596h7XrZ7RvQtTAJf3vJ25t9f0X