mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 9:59 a.m.

Turning over the fleet. Or at least selling 2/3. I figured I'd post them here before anywhere else. No pictures yet, I'll get them tomorrow or so when it stops raining. All are located in the western Chicago Suburbs

First car:

1996 Miata with roll bar and ground control. See This thread from when I bought it from nocones, or This thread when he bought it from Pete Gosett

• It now has an airbag light on, and about 5k more miles
  • 6/22: I cleaned the EGR valve last night and replaced a couple hoses. Still hasn't passed emissions because I haven't gotten it to cycle through, will attempt to get that accomplished tonight/tomorrow. Original: "It currently has a P0400 code. I've identified a clogged EGR valve as the culprit, and if I get around to it I'll be cleaning that, but I can't get the damn thing off easily since it involves taking off a few other items and I just don't have time. The car is not registered because it can't pass emissions because of this"
  • Has an oil leak from the plug. Enough to notice it on your driveway and in your garage, but I don't think I even put a whole quart in it after it sat from November through April. 
  • Comes with BBS weaves (3 center caps), some hollow spokes with nearly corded Azenis, and the ugly 17's that are on it now. Also comes with stock springs, about 273 sway bars, and an uninstalled trailer hitch. Maybe some other do-dads. Not sure. 
  • Until May 31, when the registration was up, I was DDing this car. It is a great car with no "real" problem, and if it weren't for the registration niggle (i.e. if I lived somewhere without emissions), I'd have no problems driving this across the country.
  • It has come to my attention that this probably does have AC, but it isn't charged. I just assumed it didn't. Original: No AC
  • Asking $3,900

Second car: 

2006 Acura TSX with Navigation, automatic, 128,xxx miles, silver with black leather interior. This is a really, really great vehicle and any sane person would be keeping it. I am just not in love with it--never connected with it. That fact really bothers me, because by all measures I should love it. I guess I just don't get FWD.

• The good: 
    • New battery and alternator earlier this year
    • AC system just completely replaced, as in replaced on Thursday or Friday. 
    • (Almost?) all service records
    • 6 disc CD changer and an Aux cord plug in
  • The bad: 
    • We were rear-ended a while ago. Very slow impact, but there is some spidering on the paint on the rear bumper. Most people don't notice it at all. I do.
    • My wife parked the bumper over a parking berm and when she backed off, the bumper came "off". I fixed this with my brother, and while it is a good fix, it isn't perfect--I'll throw up a picture later. Again, most people probably wouldn't notice. I do. 
  • Asking $6,500 to the public, $6,000 to the fine folks of this board. 

Last car: 2004 Mazda Tribute, Leather seats, 4WD, V6, ~98,xxx miles

• The Good
    • Has been in my family for the past 10 years or so. I bought it from my uncle; it was my cousins first car. My uncle is the type of guy that takes all the cars in the family to the same mechanic for everything, and does whatever he recommends
    • Tires are a mile deep in tread. They'll age out before they wear out.
    • Has been flawlessly reliable for us serving as the family truckster. 
    • Heated seats
  • The bad
    • It has a bad wheel bearing, but neither my mechanic or I can identify which one. I've been putting off fixing this because I don't want to replace all of them, I don't have the time, and I don't want to spend the money to have my mechanic do it
    • It has an oil leak--probably about 1 quart between oil changes, maybe more. I just check it every week and keep a jug of cheap oil for it. I believe this is from the oil pan, or else the plug--it has one of those boat type rubber plugs. Not sure the reason for that.
    • The CD player does not work. 
      • Even worse, there is probably a Dave Matthews cd jammed in there. Don't judge my cousin based on that, he's a great guy, I swear
    • No parking brake. My cousin never used it. I pulled it out of habit, and it jammed. Since I was in a real pinch (had to get home to get to a funeral), I climbed underneath and cut the cable--always keep a Leatherman handy! I never bothered to fix it.
    • There is rust in the doors, although it presents better than it is. The rear strut towers had the recall performed on them at some point in its life. 
  • The other
    • think I replaced the pads on this. But I don't know for sure
    • One of the hinges for the glass hatch broke. We replaced that, and we have the other, but never replaced the non-broken one. Got to teach my wife how to use a ratchet that day. That was fun. Not.
    • It has a sunroof that was aftermarket. After it broke, I had it sealed and the power disconnected. 
    • This has a lien the title, if I get serious interest I'll pay it off--otherwise I'm letting the loan play out since the interest rate is so low
  • Asking $2,100. Make an offer. 
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 10:12 a.m.

Oh, package deals are available. May be interested in trades, but the trade has to have a back seat, and has to be built in the past 20 years. And it probably can't be FWD either.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/18 12:25 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Just curious, has the Miata’s a/c been removed or is it just inop? Not that it ever worked well. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 12:39 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to mtn :

Just curious, has the Miata’s a/c been removed or is it just inop? Not that it ever worked well. 

You know, I’m not sure. I just assumed it wasn’t in there as it never worked; I’d assume based on this post that it is still there but inop as I doubt dan would have gone through the effort to remove it. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/18 1:37 p.m.

I'm about to put up my 2004 BMW ZHP for sale once I get some pics, could be interested in trading for the miata, but I'd need cash on top. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 3:01 p.m.

Possibly interested. Was leaning towards an automatic, but we'll see. Might be able to keep the Tribute in this situation.

AWSX1686
6/11/18 3:27 p.m.

The ZHP is a 6-speed manual. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 3:51 p.m.

That isn't a deal killer. Just makes me feel a little uneasy, having a car that my wife can't drive (meaning only 1 that she can drive). Probably over thinking it.

AWSX1686
6/12/18 10:24 a.m.

It's all good, probably better if I just try to sell it for cash. 

engiekev
engiekev New Reader
6/12/18 3:02 p.m.

Could you post pictures of the TSX? I may be interested.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/13/18 8:21 a.m.

Responded to engiekev over PM. I need to wash the cars before I post pictures publicly. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DBP0hnWEJt6P7mfOgdeaaPWwL8mRjhGhpYLOQKY8CAOv3TVjq6j66gEtAph8dVfC