1 2
Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
2/22/17 7:30 p.m.

You can sell the Fabspeed stuff to me if you want...

I have a tan steering wheel w/airbag, good front fenders, a bumper cover and headlights you might need.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
2/22/17 8:02 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Hope this is fun and not a money black hole

Probably both.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/23/17 8:56 a.m.

I'm expecting both. Seller is kind of clueless. Owes money on the car, hasn't told me who holds the note or how much he owes. Says he's never sold a car before and I believe him. I'm not sure he knows how this works. If the loan on the car is through a local bank or credit union or title loan place I'll keep going, otherwise there's a handful of really nice Boxsters for $6,000 that I wouldn't need to rent a truck for!

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf HalfDork
2/23/17 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Lugnut:

Did you make any progress toward finalizing with the seller today?

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/24/17 9:58 a.m.

Yeah, we're getting somewhere. It continues to get more complicated. Stay tuned for news briefs!

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/24/17 10:10 a.m.

Do nice $6k 986's come with conerns about the IMS bearing or are those usually worked out by now? Do they have manual transmissions? Are they actually nice or just nice for a $6k Porsche?

I need something like this like I need another hole in my head, but eh, you only live once.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/24/17 10:12 a.m.

Wow this sounds exciting.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
2/24/17 10:21 a.m.

This sounds a bit like you're at the bar, talking to the hot girl with slightly suspicious looking scabs... Not saying you SHOULDNT do it, just saying be careful and keep your eyes open.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/24/17 11:43 a.m.

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual):

Yeah, except in this case if the hot girl happens to not perform well or self-destruct, I can sell pieces of her to get my money back. That's... frowned upon... with real girls.

Anyway, IMS... Who cares? Reports of IMS failures are way overblown on the interwebz. Any time anybody has any kind of engine failure, they post on Rennlist or wherever as, "I had an IMS failure!" Then their mechanic gets in there and discovers it's something else. I've had a handful of watercooled flat six Porsches (and I still do!) and they're all a-okay.

I'm under the impression that even an IMS-failure engine core is worth like $8-10k. There's plenty of stuff on here to part out if the car E36 M3s the bed.

I'm thinking I'll gundo-hack the stock mufflers and put those back on and ebay those muffler bypasses (and I actually have a set of off-brand muffler bypass pipes sitting in my garage from my 911), maybe find stock cats and replace that fabspeed pipe (maybe move that fabspeed x-pipe to my 997 ) or sell it, then see what Maaco can do for under a grand. Or I'll take the jr10cross route and plastidip it!

Then assuming it's all running well, it'll become Mrs. Lugnut's DD.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
2/24/17 8:18 p.m.

I'm at 110k and completely clean oil filters so far. The m96 prefers good oil , regular changesand regular driving. Do that and 300k should be doable.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
2/26/17 10:16 p.m.

Did you get it Lugnut?

sirrichardpumpaloaf
2/27/17 1:57 a.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps wrote: Did you get it Lugnut?

I've been wondering too.

tripp
tripp Reader
2/27/17 4:36 a.m.

Keep us posted how this pans out

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/27/17 9:50 a.m.

The guy takes eons to reply. I don't have it yet but I'm still actively pursuing it. But, yeah, the seller is infuriating!

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/27/17 6:51 p.m.

Whenever I've dealt with a seller like that its never turned out well for me...

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/17 7:36 p.m.

I've dealt with a similar horrible seller before. But the results were good. Keep at it :)

smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/28/17 12:30 a.m.

Keep on it- the seller probably has a lot going on or is slightly crazy, or both!

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
3/2/17 11:57 a.m.
Lugnut wrote: In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual): Yeah, except in this case if the hot girl happens to not perform well or self-destruct, I can sell pieces of her to get my money back. That's... frowned upon... with real girls. Anyway, IMS... Who cares? Reports of IMS failures are *way* overblown on the interwebz. Any time anybody has any kind of engine failure, they post on Rennlist or wherever as, "I had an IMS failure!" Then their mechanic gets in there and discovers it's something else. I've had a handful of watercooled flat six Porsches (and I still do!) and they're all a-okay. I'm under the impression that even an IMS-failure engine *core* is worth like $8-10k. There's plenty of stuff on here to part out if the car E36 M3s the bed. I'm thinking I'll gundo-hack the stock mufflers and put those back on and ebay those muffler bypasses (and I actually have a set of off-brand muffler bypass pipes sitting in my garage from my 911), maybe find stock cats and replace that fabspeed pipe (maybe move that fabspeed x-pipe to my 997 ) or sell it, then see what Maaco can do for under a grand. Or I'll take the jr10cross route and plastidip it! Then assuming it's all running well, it'll become Mrs. Lugnut's DD.

If you end up getting the car...I might be interested in the intake and exhaust setup for my 996. It is way too quiet.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
3/2/17 2:41 p.m.

I have a muffler bypass from my 997 that I'm not using. I'm open to selling those.

And I haven't heard from the seller in about three days. I might spend my six grand elsewhere. There's a really lovely MR2 Turbo for sale near me...

sirrichardpumpaloaf
3/2/17 2:59 p.m.

In reply to Lugnut:

Hate that you wasted your time with this squirrel. I suppose it was a roll of the dice to even begin that journey. May be a bullet dodged!!

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
3/3/17 8:33 a.m.
Lugnut wrote: I have a muffler bypass from my 997 that I'm not using. I'm open to selling those. And I haven't heard from the seller in about three days. I might spend my six grand elsewhere. There's a really lovely MR2 Turbo for sale near me...

Will it fit a 996? How much are you looking for?

Also, the most important question...how obnoxiously loud is it?

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
3/3/17 8:49 a.m.

Yes. I dunno, a hundred bucks? And VERY. Mrs. Lugnut had to wear earplugs, it was so loud. Neighbors asked very passive aggressively what was broken with my car. It sounds AMAZING but it's REALLY loud.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yiFn9OfxxGWeN1pTOB8Dg7wueR9DEzLAwn5ixAQyqIEQ9elMytSc6uMabmuIARNn