RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/13/18 12:02 p.m.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/1987-renault-5-turbo-2-lhd/6607086368.html

1987 Renault 5 Turbo 2.Nice original car in good condition but requiring light restoration.Needs repainting.

NMNA

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/18 12:06 p.m.

Even if that car needs the bottom half replacing, that's a steal.

Assuming it exists...

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/13/18 12:11 p.m.

My first thought was scam, too. But in reality, the price might not be far off.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/13/18 12:22 p.m.

The 847 area code is legit for our area.  No plates on the car doesn’t help ID the scaminess if this. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/13/18 12:48 p.m.

Toast roof paint, hanging side view mirror, engine cover panel thing showing a gap, obscure auto manufacturer, and an even more obscure sub model of car most people wouldn't know. That price is starting to seem a bit high, but damn that would be such a cool car to bomb around for the summer.

So is this a pretty limited production car? Like strictly a homologation numbers?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/18 12:55 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I don’t know the numbers produced, but they seem to appear for sale at least 10x more frequently than their peers. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/13/18 3:05 p.m.

These were 20k for the longest time but I think some have changed hands for north of 100k. Depends upon how much work is really needed but this has to be cheapest one put on the market in a very long time!

TR7
TR7 Reader
6/13/18 10:14 p.m.

Emailed. Scam, though their English is pretty good and they drag it on for quite some time before the; dead husband, sad memories, want to get rid of ASAP, already moved, wire me the money and you can pick it up in Chicago.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/14/18 12:24 a.m.

sad...  cool car.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/18 9:01 a.m.
TR7 said:

Emailed. Scam, though their English is pretty good and they drag it on for quite some time before the; dead husband, sad memories, want to get rid of ASAP, already moved, wire me the money and you can pick it up in Chicago.

ask how old, offer to knock the dust off that widowed poon?

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/14/18 9:20 a.m.

And ad is down

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/18 4:58 p.m.
RossD said:

Toast roof paint, hanging side view mirror, engine cover panel thing showing a gap, obscure auto manufacturer, and an even more obscure sub model of car most people wouldn't know. That price is starting to seem a bit high, but damn that would be such a cool car to bomb around for the summer.

So is this a pretty limited production car? Like strictly a homologation numbers?

Legendary mid-engined rally homologation car, although the Turbo 2 is the higher volume later model.

As it sits, even if it needs bodywork and/or engine work, I would say that's at least a $20k car, if not more. If it were real, that is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8OkOYWs46RLxQvzuQiG75zZ6XMjqdaf3WrfjDyQODLhwAx5mlQyIZfIiVJpOOaWs