The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/19/17 4:37 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
12/19/17 4:46 p.m.

I've been eyeing it for a while... I wonder how livable it would be on the street?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/20/17 8:40 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I've been eyeing it for a while... I wonder how livable it would be on the street?

I don't know looks like it has a full cage which would be cumbersome. I've never driven a bridge ported rotary either (sadly)... but if it keeps showing up at further and further reduced prices I'm going to accidently end up with it.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
12/20/17 9:15 a.m.

Driving it on the street should be possibly but loud from my experience with a stripped race FB. Lots of gravel noises. I've done a streetport,  light flywhee, six puck clutch car on the street.  I'd say for a toy / autox car just fine. DD..... probably not. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
12/20/17 9:38 a.m.

Oh man that is sweet! I'd love to race my 79, but it's just too nice and original. This thing is essentially the same car, color and all, but is already a race car. PA isn't terribly far from MA, correct? How do I slip it by SWMBO?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
12/20/17 9:53 a.m.

Anyone local that would be willing to put eyes on it for me? It appears to be an early production car like my 5/78 car, the same color, and has the same Weds Auto Bahn wheels. It's like it was destined for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
12/20/17 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I'm about 2 hours away, so hopefully there are GRMers closer to Lancaster

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/17 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I'm about an hour from Lancaster and should have some free time on my hands next week. I know nothing of 1st gen RX7s or rotaries in general, but could at least scope it out for you. 

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
12/20/17 10:41 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Anyone local that would be willing to put eyes on it for me? It appears to be an early production car like my 5/78 car, the same color, and has the same Weds Auto Bahn wheels. It's like it was destined for me.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/20/17 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I'm about two hours off as well. If someone closer can't look I might be able to make a business trip out of it to see a dealer and take a look.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/17 1:08 p.m.

That's a pretty beefy radiator overflow tube support bar.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/21/17 4:04 p.m.

^Ha!

That car looks reeeeeally cool. 

Hoosiers on the back, RA1s on the front. Is that to make the handling more neutral? I know these have a solid real axle...

Mazdamedic
Mazdamedic New Reader
1/24/18 12:45 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

After racing one of these for 10 years or so, I can say they are pretty bulletproof. I ran maybe 30 races at Nelson and Mid-O without a single DNF and usually near the front of the pack. The Hondas got too fast in ITA, now there is an IT7 class. They can be made to handle pretty well by playing with the rear sway bar setting. They are live axle. Disconnect the rear sway bar when it rains!! Mazda does not support the 12A any longer, but parts are available and there are a few good rebuilders around. I rebuilt maybe 30 of the rotaries in my shop. Ths car could be converted pretty cheaply to STL. There you can use a 13B. You can read that thread on the Prodracing site. This is a good price for ths car. Can't see myself owning 2 of them, though!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZiY6w2WX0RfrG4xjryOuhonWgMcx25EDcsyp6sMMaxn2ZIubHQ00r3rCEhaXQa5W