Jerry UltraDork
June 15, 2017 6:52 a.m.

Craigslist

"A one off custom that I just finished. 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder with a custom fabricated roll cage, custom led lighting, marine speakers, off road wheels and tires and much more. Why am I selling it? Well, quite honestly, I just like building them. I start with an idea, buy a GOOD quality car, then take it apart and spend 2 months rebuilding. Its a hobby. This rear engine 4 cylinder car has a clean title and just over 1300 miles on the rebuilt engine. 5 speed manual transmission and new struts. It is quick and super responsive. Would be a blast on a curvy mountain road or light duty off road use. Street legal (currently tagged) and it has a clean title. Ive got 11 cars so not really interested in a trade unless its really cool. No motorcycles or boats...been there done that. Oh forgot to mention...its got heat, ac, washers, wipers, power mirrors (yes I hooked them back up), etc. All the creature comforts that you give up with a traditional vw rail buggy and its way cooler not to mention quieter. This thing rocks! Trade for old truck or rat rod. "

Why am I tempted?

AWSX1686 HalfDork
June 15, 2017 7:58 a.m.

Inspiration for us all. Hopefully soon I'll have the z3 done up somewhat similarly. Need to start a build thread....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
June 15, 2017 8:01 a.m.

That looks like it could be fun, but also poorly built and massively overpriced. I think I'd rather have the pre-hack MR2 and the pile of tubing

AWSX1686 HalfDork
June 15, 2017 9:25 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

It would appear that a lot of that tubing is more for show than functionality.

mndsm MegaDork
June 15, 2017 9:27 a.m.

It's sort a like a bloated Yamaha razr

84FSP Dork
June 15, 2017 9:40 a.m.

Looks like someone forgot to add machine gun turrets for the next Mad Max production.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
June 15, 2017 9:53 a.m.

Since we're all dumping on it now, I'll also just say that we've already done this better. For $2016. Overnight. In a parking lot.

AWSX1686 HalfDork
June 15, 2017 10:35 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Since we're all dumping on it now, I'll also just say that we've already done this better. For $2016. Overnight. In a parking lot.

Are doors a requirement?

4cylndrfury MegaDork
June 15, 2017 10:41 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: ...we've already done this better. For $2016. Overnight. In a parking lot. />

LMAO

The0retical SuperDork
June 15, 2017 11:17 a.m.

I'm not fully sure what a lot of that tubing is tied into....

I don't hate it as I thought I would though.

Stefan MegaDork
June 15, 2017 5:13 p.m.

I like the color....

karplus2 New Reader
June 15, 2017 9:22 p.m.

Am I missing something? Why would you keep the A/C? I mean, I can understand wanting to have heat so you can have warm air blowing on you on cool nights but I can't imagine that A/C is going to help much with nothing to hold it in the cockpit.

Stefan MegaDork
June 15, 2017 11:03 p.m.

Often the A/C is not easily removed, especially with serpentine belt solutions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
June 16, 2017 6:12 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

Nope, but if they're missing you need a cage with door bars and a window net for drags, iirc

Jerry UltraDork
June 16, 2017 6:54 a.m.

You guys are harsh. Am I the only one that thinks this is pretty cool? (Maybe pricey but still a cool car that doesn't look that badly done)

4cylndrfury MegaDork
June 16, 2017 8:17 a.m.

Its cool, yes. But, that cage is likely not functional, at least, not in a way that I would bet my life on. So, hes taken a perfectly good car, and made it a perfectly mediocre war game cosplay chariot. A for effort, Q for execution.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Meet the Great Kimini

15 hours ago in Articles

British charm meets Japanese spunk.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

15 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

Meet Us at Put-In-Bay This Weekend

19 hours ago in News

We're headed to South Bass Island, Ohio, this weekend for the ninth annual Put-in-Bay Road Race Reunion.

Hang With Us at Gridlife This Weekend

19 hours ago in News

What’s #GRIDLIFE? The festival describes itself simply: Where speed meets sound.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LS

21 hours ago in New Car Reviews

275 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque. Back in the day, that was pretty good for a V8-powered pony car. ...

Your Projects: New Wheels for Gimp’s Camaro

22 hours ago in News

Dogs shown for scale.

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

22 hours ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

1 day ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

1 day ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

2 days ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
qZcGyt5VbatdtEWRAAlQFgr09BqfMzCd