RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/12/16 12:27 p.m.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5821730408.html

Doesn't look too bad actually. Actually, quite good for $11k, even.

Tiptronics aren't the end of the world...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/12/16 3:26 p.m.

No mention of it in the ad, but that's a cabriolet. There is less demand for those than for coupes.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/12/16 3:36 p.m.

Holy crap, that's cheap. Woody, I don't agree with the notion that there is less demand for a cab than a coupe. I'd never own a coupe unless it was cheap or I was turning it into a race car. Cabs ware WAY much more fun.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/12/16 3:42 p.m.

There is more demand for cabs only by people who want cabs. Coupes sell much faster and usually for much more money, at least once they become used cars.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
10/12/16 5:03 p.m.

That does seem cheap, but it is a 996, has high mileage, tiptronic, and is a cab, so with those negatives, maybe $11K is right.

Sidenote: what is that black thing on the console to the right of the climate control and CD holder?

Mike
Mike Dork
10/12/16 5:30 p.m.

The 996 has been my Craigslist obsession for the last week or two.

Mike
Mike Dork
10/12/16 5:31 p.m.
Apis Mellifera wrote: That does seem cheap, but it is a 996, has high mileage, tiptronic, and is a cab, so with those negatives, maybe $11K is right. Sidenote: what is that black thing on the console to the right of the climate control and CD holder?

I don't think it's factory. I figured car phone.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/12/16 5:49 p.m.

The biggest thing holding it down is its a 1st gen 996. Then the auto box. Also not much in the way of options.up side is that it has a hard top. I wonder, though, how good the soft top is.

Mike
Mike Dork
10/12/16 9:54 p.m.

The one thing that gives me pause about something like this is the impression that the IMS issue mightn't like lots of short trips at low speeds. Short trips at low speed are my weekday routine.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/12/16 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Mike:

Yeah, you would need to give it some longer runs at high rps. Wouldn't that suck.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
10/12/16 10:31 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Holy crap, that's cheap. Woody, I don't agree with the notion that there is less demand for a cab than a coupe. I'd never own a coupe unless it was cheap or I was turning it into a race car. Cabs ware WAY much more fun.

You might not agree, but the market does. Cabs sell for less and take longer to sell. Much less demand.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/13/16 6:47 a.m.

I'd like to see your evidence as Ive seen even turbo cabs going for more then turbo coupes.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/13/16 7:07 a.m.

And in the early 911 world the soft window targa goes for more than coupes. I agree that later 911s, 964s and 993s the coupes go for more because of a potential buyers tracking pretensions. Just like everywhere else there's a lot of wannabes in the 911 world. Hell, that's why the tiptronic came about.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
10/13/16 9:45 a.m.
markwemple wrote: I'd like to see your evidence as Ive seen even turbo cabs going for more then turbo coupes.

Here's the first result from Google

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
10/13/16 10:22 a.m.

130K that thing is going to need 60-70% of the price you actually pay for it to bring it to spec if yoy have a shop do the work.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/13/16 10:34 a.m.
Apis Mellifera wrote:
markwemple wrote: I'd like to see your evidence as Ive seen even turbo cabs going for more then turbo coupes.

Here's the first result from Google

Sorry dude, but that's far from empirical evidence. I've seen these go both ways. I know boxsters are cheaper than caymans but they were cheaper new. (admittedly, I don't get a preference for a boxster with a top)

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/13/16 10:35 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 130K that thing is going to need 60-70% of the price you actually pay for it to bring it to spec if yoy have a shop do the work.

Maybe, maybe not. But at 11k, if you had 7k in fixes, and documented it, you'd probably get most, if not all your money back.

fTumCvbZ2zuPnFQdeLJF1fwvGG7hvzdp