Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
2/3/18 4:52 p.m.

Alright, let's just cut to the chase.  I need a car.  Ok ok, I don't NEED a car, but I really want one.  I just sold my Miata that I loved so dearly, until I didn't anymore.  It was a great little car, but it was my third and I am just done with them.  

So now I've got $5600 burning a hole in my pocket.  What should I do!?  I'm looking for something that is halfway comfortable that I can dd, haul my kids around and take to the occasional autox.  That is unless I find a mint Volvo 240 or Merc 300d.  I have a soft spot for those two.  

If anyone wants to give me some suggestions, or if you have a car that you believe will fit the bill, let's me know. Also, I'm in Mississippi.  That's part of the reason I'm reaching out, cause there ain't crap here! 

Chad

Edit: So I just got orders to Charleston, SC! I’m pumped! Because of this the hunt is paused. The wife will be driving the Forester and I’ll be hauling a bunch of house stuff with the truck, so I won’t be able to move a third car. 

On that note, if you’re around Charleston let me know. I’ll be there in June, and we know nothing about the place. 

smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/3/18 5:37 p.m.

MkV GTI, mustang, bmw 330i

architect7779
architect7779 New Reader
2/3/18 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Xradchadx :92 Subaru SVX - garage kept, owned since 94, 74k miles, Canton Ohio area 330-868-8496

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
2/4/18 11:11 a.m.

In reply to architect7779 :

I like it! But you're so dang far away.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/5/18 8:27 a.m.

Since you already have enough cars, why not buy a toy?  An F-440 or Formula Vee for Auto-X; teach the kiddies patience, how to work on cars and the camaraderie of competition.  A small enclosed trailer and it won't take any room in the garage.

thebigchill
thebigchill New Reader
2/5/18 2:44 p.m.

Clean, unmodified Focus SVT.

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
2/5/18 8:22 p.m.

In reply to thebigchill :

I’ve been looking! They are hard to find. I also I’ve also been looking for an Ion Redline. Also hard to find. 

I would travel for a 4 door focus svt. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/18 8:40 p.m.
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/5/18 9:26 p.m.

I've got a 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan that would fit the bill. I'm near Chicago. 

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
2/6/18 1:21 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

PM sent

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/6/18 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Xradchadx :

PM not received. Did you sign up with a yahoo email like I did? Because something is broken and GRM forum won't send PMs if you use a yahoo email.
You can email me directly at the email provider I mentioned. 

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
2/7/18 3:25 p.m.

Sure thing. Whats that email?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/8/18 9:52 a.m.
Xradchadx said:

Sure thing. Whats that email?

I replied to your email. Deleted my email from the post to keep the spam bots away. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/8/18 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Xradchadx :

Not sure where you are, but there's a really nice Ion Redline in SF Bay area that I have had my eye on. 60k and asking $4200. Buy it so I don't. :)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/2004-saturn-red-line-ion/6480404479.html

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
2/8/18 4:25 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Yea I just updated my original post.  I'm in MS, very very very far from anything cool. After watching Regular Car Review do a Ion, I have been keeping my out for one. Theyre on my shortlist, and theyre so dang cheap! Thanks tho!

You can always deliver it to me;) 

oceanax13
oceanax13 New Reader
3/10/18 8:33 p.m.

Hey Clutchsmoke,

Do you still have the SI? I'm in the Chicago burbs and looking for a new winter car. 

christobevii3
christobevii3 New Reader
3/10/18 8:57 p.m.

I just picked up a 1982 300d.  Starts up great but going to sort through the brakes in the next week or two.  I'm in OKC if interested.  Suspension is rust free and looks like recent ball joint work.

Just ordered $300 in hoses, water pump, hoses, brakes, shocks, etc to be sure.  Plus $200 in tires.  Christobevii3@gmail.com

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/10/18 9:20 p.m.
Xradchadx said:

In reply to CyberEric :

Yea I just updated my original post.  I'm in MS, very very very far from anything cool. After watching Regular Car Review do a Ion, I have been keeping my out for one. Theyre on my shortlist, and theyre so dang cheap! Thanks tho!

You can always deliver it to me;) 

2.5 hrs away from you.  '07 w/99k asking $4,250

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/10/18 9:48 p.m.

All i did was sort CL in Memphis and Jackson by manual transmission with a max price of $6k

Near new, Ford Festiva trunk versions with a manual trans are amazingly cheap for such a new car.  Seems no one wants the manual combined with the less sporty trunk version  https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/2015-ford-fiesta/6508583569.html

Maybe a little over priced but nice cars: https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-acura-rsx-type-low-miles/6524908990.html

M3 4 dr w/ 5 spd also known as a M3,4,5  https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-e36-m3-sedan/6505309929.html

G35 manual sedan https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/07-infinity-g35/6514151946.html

manydubs
manydubs New Reader
3/23/18 9:38 a.m.

How about a 98 BMW 318ti compact hatch with M50 six cylinder swap?

I have one with all new suspension, tires, Racing Dynamics wheels.

3.73 LSD

Recent headgasket, water pump, thermostat

Brand new Radiator

Plugs, brake pads, calipers.  Slotted and drilled rotors

Fuel filter, coolant flush.  - All fluids replaced

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
3/23/18 7:03 p.m.

In reply to manydubs :

Absolutely! Location? Condition? 

It’s funny that you offer that. I’ve actually been cruising around the internets scoping out prices of ti’s. I dig them. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/18 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Xradchadx :

You wouldn’t by chance be interested in Corvette, would you?

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
3/23/18 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

No sorry. Need something I can haul the kids in from time to time. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/18 6:02 a.m.

In reply to Xradchadx :

The hatch is pretty big...

Xradchadx
Xradchadx New Reader
3/24/18 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Xradchadx :

The hunt is paused for now. Just got orders to Charleston, SC and don’t have the means to haul a car over there. Thanks for the input tho!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xXCfQGAkevxbwN1bvrjHtWLpeKjoEYfLlW1aT4NQEWKhUroJ4v7w7PO62QauU18C