1 2
robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/8/19 5:04 p.m.

hi i'm back, thanks Margie!!

i'm a locksmith in NY and i'm offering a mail-order thing where you can send me a lock and a key you would like to work with it, and i'll rekey it and send it back, usually for about $35/lock (unless you have something weird...), and that includes the return shipping. 

i'm sure a few of you have different keys for doors/trunk/igntion after swapping in used parts. so if you want everything keyed alike, let me know. generally, the only requirement is that the key has to physically fit into the lock you want to use. on some fords for example, the ignition key milling is a mirror image of the door keys, so that won't work.

i can also make keys if you get a lockset with no keys at a junkyard. that is probably also about $35 and i'll give 2 keys. and if the locks are all from a matched set, you would only have to pay once, even if it's 2 doors,  the trunk, ignition, and glovebox, so long as the key is the same for all of them. if you want extra keys they are usually about $3 each, again unless its something weird and hard to find. 

turnaround in most cases would be a few days or less, unless i have to order something to do it.

i'm not trying to rip anyone off or anything, this is just for a little extra beer money and to give me something to do after work when i'm watching TV...  there won't be any hidden charges or upsells. if it is gonna cost more i will let you know, and i will send your stuff back at my expense if you decline (which hopefully won't happen often). and i'm happy to offer advice as well, so ask questions if you have any! i can probably offer other lock stuff i forgot to mention here too.

i can also do the same for motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, snowmobiles, large trucks, blimps, boats, whatever!!

more Sidewinder/Laser cut keys coming soon. I can rekey some and cut some keys, but not all yet...let me know what you have.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/19 9:43 p.m.

Do you work for landrover?

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/8/19 10:25 p.m.

no, i'm a commercial locksmith in NYC. the company i work for doesn't do any automotive locksmithing at all, so i'm on my own as far as that goes. mostly i install and troubleshoot electric locks and access control systems.

revhard
revhard Reader
1/9/19 4:04 p.m.

Can you fix stuck pins? I have 2 trunk locks , 1 that I want with frozen pins and an extra one that I don’t need. Can you mash them together to make a good lock that matches my key?

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/9/19 4:41 p.m.
revhard said:

Can you fix stuck pins? I have 2 trunk locks , 1 that I want with frozen pins and an extra one that I don’t need. Can you mash them together to make a good lock that matches my key?

probably, what kind of car is it? and are both locks the same type?

revhard
revhard Reader
1/9/19 11:27 p.m.

In reply to robmillion :

Both are trunk locks from a 91 MR2.

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/10/19 5:49 p.m.

In reply to revhard :

shouldn't be a problem. i'm not sure if my toyota keying kit goes back that far (it says 2000 and up, but sometimes they don't really change anything, i won't know until i try though.)

if i have to order a kit, the turnaround might be a little longer, about a week to 2 weeks. i don't mind losing a little money to order stuff at first though. i'm trying to get to the point where i can cover almost everything. so i'm ordering supplies as needed. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
1/11/19 11:50 a.m.

08 Mazda 6 ignition key came off the fob and is gone forever, wife cant drive car.  VIN and money? Or are we stuck going to dealer?

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/11/19 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

maybe. i'll have to look into it. i don't usually do keys by VIN. 

and i'd also need to see the title and registration and ID to match. i hope you understand my concern about sending off a key by VIN for a car i've never seen to someone i've never met. 

[EDIT] sorry, i just looked into it and i don't have access to Mazda keycodes by VIN. that's listed as a dealer only key. although the same listing also says the key code is on the passenger door lock, so if you can get that out, i may be able to help you.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
1/15/19 1:59 a.m.

LocDoc did it on sight for $180 (including built in Fob) and even did us a second non "switchblade fob" key as a back up to open and start car.

No probs i understand on ID/VIN thing, I did get a cell pic of all the documents and me next to my license.

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/16/19 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

That's a good price, especially on-site! The big companies can get away with that. As an individual locksmith I don't have access to all the VIN codes, unless I want to pay a lot for a subscription fee. I use a pay per code service when I have no other options, and it's pretty expensive too (and sometimes takes hours). And they only cover some brands. For me it makes much more sense to physically decode the lock and make a key for it that way, even though it's actually more work.

If I did keys by VIN, a remote, and a transponder key all for $180, I'd probably have made about 10-15 bucks. Luckily, the dealers charge about $500-$1000 around here, depending what you have, so my price of about $250-$350 still seems like a pretty good deal!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/19 9:50 a.m.

Can you do a 1995 mercedes S class key? I just want spares.

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/20/19 9:24 a.m.
yupididit said:

Can you do a 1995 mercedes S class key? I just want spares.

i can. i don't have those blanks in stock, but i can get some. those sidewinder keys cost a bit more.  i think i can probably do $15 a key including shipping them back to you. it might be slightly more, but i don't think it would go over $20

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/1/19 9:43 a.m.

Rob - can you contact me about getting some keys made???   Email me at my username at yahoo.   I also sent you a pm.  Thanks

jeremy

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/1/19 6:33 p.m.

I  Have an 04 Chevy Caviler that Has no Key . can I send you a Lock and Get a Key? Door or Ignition  If So PM Me an Address.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/4/19 4:35 p.m.

Done  5/4/19 ,  Waited for ya.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/22/19 9:49 a.m.

Do you do older stuff?  I have a 1975 Datsun 280z and need to have two different ignition locks rekeyed to match a third key that doesn't work either but does work the rest of the car.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en Reader
5/22/19 12:52 p.m.

I need a miata key remade, but like, everywhere I've gone has messed it up, and I really don't want to waste money on a really nice key only for it to get shredded.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/19 1:01 p.m.
revhard said:

In reply to robmillion :

Both are trunk locks from a 91 MR2.

These are straightforward to re-key.  I rekeyed the lock cylinder when I did the 94+ tail light conversion and I'm not a locksmith and had never done it before.  Also....this was before YouTube was a thing, so it was pretty intuitive.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
5/23/19 1:45 p.m.

Great!

Just what I need.!I got a replacement switchblade remote keyblank for my wife's '13 mazda2 , got the immobilizer programmed but noone wants to cut there key by me.  I have had this fancy "pole position" key for my '02 Subaru that I snagged in japan years ago that I'd like to get cut too.  Are you ok working with supplied blanks? 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/23/19 6:40 p.m.

He seems to have gone awol.  

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
5/24/19 6:57 a.m.

i'm back! sorry i got caught up with a bunch of work and no time, and i'm moving soon. i'll get back to everyone in the next few days!

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
5/25/19 10:20 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

i can do a lot of older stuff. i can definitely do nissan back to 79. it may be in one of the same kits, but they don't say if they go back that far (earlier than 79 that is).

do you have a key blank number on your key? i can cross reference it and see if the wafers in any of my kits will work.

EDIT: checked my kits. I can do Datsun as far back as 1970 (and maybe even earlier)!

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
5/25/19 10:27 a.m.

In reply to RoadWarrior :

i'm ok with supplied blanks in most cases. for fancy keys that i'm scared to ruin, i would cut it on one of mine first to make sure it works.

so if it's something i don't normally stock, and your blanks are very expensive or irreplaceable, i would want to order a few standard ones first so it may take longer, and unfortunately i wouldn't be able to offer a discount for supplying the blanks because i would still have to use mine. you would get the extra copy (or copies) though.

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
5/25/19 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Catlas_Se7en :

i can do those. and you can supply the blank if you have something you want to use. i would cut it first on one of my own blanks to verify it works in that case. that way you don't have to worry about it getting ruined, but that also means i can't offer a discount for using your blanks because i would still be using my own blank(s) as well. you'd get the extra copies though. so there's that

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PYejoaV1mL8TzKzuHE0BKkXSYoFNPDvPJp88oTfS6qgSKENv5OuMkFpvNwX5eFt6