Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
7/9/19 10:57 a.m.

Nearly FREE to a good home__just offer me something useful in trade, like go kart parts, tools, Gift Card to a decent restaurant, or?

MUST BE PICKED UP, CANNOT SHIP!  Located about forty (40) minutes south of Tampa Airport.

EMCO PC TURN 50 & EMCO PC MILL 50

includes computer towers (2) with proprietary i/o boards, etc., IBM & Fanuc keyboards and box full of documentation.  Minimal tooling included, as all bits, etc., are also used on my fullsize machines.  The monitors have since crapped out, but are otherwise a complete, turn-key setup.

These were originally used by the University of Toledo, but when the Engineering Dept. was moving to a new/larger/more modern facility, they were deemed obsolete.  Until I received them, they were only ever used to cut wax.  I used the mill a couple times to turn out some small parts in aluminum, which it cuts great, but I don't know it you'd want to try cutting a tough steel alloy with them (they'd probably do it, but might be hard on the bearings and axis drives?).

More pictures here:  http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/index.php?/search/88

NOTE: NOT EVERYTHING SEEN IN PICTURES WILL BE INCLUDED,  though the CAT tool holders are.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/19 12:21 p.m.

I want it and can pick it up. 

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
7/9/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

1st dibs!

if this falls through, consideration will be given in the order received AND based on ability to collect.

Thanks!

Stampie
7/9/19 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Randy_Forbes :

I sent a pm with my number. Let me know if you don’t get it. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
7/9/19 7:36 p.m.

That is the deal of the century right there!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/19 7:46 p.m.

I grew up just blocks from The University of Toledo and attended there. 

Stampie
7/9/19 8:02 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

That is the deal of the century right there!

And I need it to make parts for a car that is very much last century. I'm just hoping that my 80s programming skills and it mesh together. 

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
7/19/19 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

"80s programming skills" are exactly what you need, IIRC, it's all G-code machine language.  

ALL the books come with it, so it'll probably be like riding a bicycle ;)

@ John Welsh: I only lived in Toledo from 10/2000 until 4/2012 (I was drawn up from the deep south__though not quite as far south as we now live__by a Red Head I met in the 9th grade).  We had a good life in Toledo, but I just HATED the winters.  We both grew up in Detroit, but I left for California in 1975 because__yep, THE WINTERS!  Settled in New Orleans >6 yrs later, but eventually migrated further west to Breaux Bridge, following a job to nearby Lafayette.

The Healey and I mid-handbrake turn at a local SCCA autocross at the Acadian Mall ("Blue Law" kept businesses closed on Sundays).

Several years later, the Red Head in our '01 M Rdstr

Twelve years of Toledo was worth the wait for paradise

(we're not all that far from where these magazines are produced, doing some work on a proposed project car )

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
7/19/19 12:30 p.m.
Randy_Forbes said:

(we're not all that far from where these magazines are produced, doing some work on a proposed project car )

Whoever loaded that car like that was clearly insane.

Stampie
7/20/19 8:04 p.m.

Was great meeting you today. Thanks again for the mill and the lathe. We spent most of the trip back talking about the different parts we could make on it. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
7/20/19 9:38 p.m.

If this is a Toledo refugee reunion thread, count me in. I grew up in the west Toledo area and moved to St Pete in 1996.  Always said it was a great place to be from...

Too bad I missed the machines, I can always use more chip makers.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
8/6/19 8:35 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:
Randy_Forbes said:

Whoever loaded that car like that was clearly insane.

Reloading it was only slightly less so, but we did have gravity in our favor (the spring that never fails...).  Hope that all is well with you.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
8/6/19 8:40 a.m.
Stampie said:

Was great meeting you today. Thanks again for the mill and the lathe. We spent most of the trip back talking about the different parts we could make on it. 

Likewise Michael, so how has the re-learning curve been going?
Good luck with your build project, and for helping me make some space in the shop!

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
8/6/19 8:48 a.m.
jgrewe said:

If this is a Toledo refugee reunion thread, count me in. I grew up in the west Toledo area and moved to St Pete in 1996.  Always said it was a great place to be from...

Too bad I missed the machines, I can always use more chip makers.

Haha, I have long said that about Detroit, it was a great place to be from!  The entire time I lived in Toledo, I referred to it as a Detroit suburb__due in part to all the industrial sub contractors making parts for Detroit operations.

Making chips...

Stampie
8/6/19 11:00 a.m.
Randy_Forbes said:
Stampie said:

Likewise Michael, so how has the re-learning curve been going?
Good luck with your build project, and for helping me make some space in the shop!

I don't think G code will be an issue. We had to make space of our own to get it under cover. Right now it's sitting in the middle of the living room while we're taking a vacation. Hope to get a stand built for it soon and a dedicated desk. Lil Stampie still keeps coming up with ideas of things we can make with it. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/19 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The middle of your living room sounds like the perfect place for it. Certainly it’s a much better use of the space(and your time) than a TV. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PL09ggXZFwlPDLiJGvWqGfbpwacipnAi89YNAuQS4jK1nNwWEXSS0I2myuTx6SNE